By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do you predict a tight race between 360 and PS3 next year?

PS3 dominates the 360 and battles the wii.

Around the Network
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
after seeing the recent sales of the ps3

I can't say who will end up in second place (not that it matters), but I can tell you one thing. America is pro xbox now and sony will end up behind microsoft for now on. The '720' will thoroughly beat PS4 in America as well. Therefore this gen and next gen will be a tight race.

ICU is the exact same thing. Its a stereo camera thats the same principle Natal uses there is NO difference. And in the video I saw I could only detect ONE camera not two. And because of that sentence: It uses stereo cameras to watch a player and, like a pair of eyes, to judge depth.

its the same way Natal works. There is no difference. Because thats the only way a camera can judge dept. And why should it be a camera in two housings ? The gap between your eyes is smaller then one inch.

Natal=ICU name me one thing Natal can and ICU cant ?

And why should that leed to confusion ? Nobody would be confused eyetoy is pretty much last gen technology and nobody cares about it. They could replace the Eyetoy with ICU without a problem.

Your arguments are just speculations it could be the way you said but it could be the way I said too. So we just have to wait and see for our selfs. If you really think Natal could achieve 50% of what Wii achieved you will be disapointed. I can see Natal selling 5-8 Millions and 1 million consoles if everything is going perfect. But this wont change the situation.

I believe Wand will be more succesful and if not then there is ICU.

Well I don't expect MS to just lay down and accept this. Thus Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake, Halo: Reach, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Fable 3, and more than likely Gears of War 3 make the 360's exclusive lineup quite impressive. Then of course throw in Natal in there. MS has a pretty good lineup to make a $200 360 a very good buy.

But PS3 isn't going to lay down either. Big thing going against the PS3 is after a big holiday season, we have to see how it'll do in the normal months out of the year which we never got to see. If we look back at how 360 performed, you saw some higher months in the beginning and then a complete fall off in the summer. Might see something similar for PS3 considering it had already happened to the Ps3 in 2008 from 2007. But PS3's lineup is quite impressive as well with God of War III, MAG, Heavy Rain, Last Guardian, Modnation Racers, and of course Gran Turismo 5. Then toss in the Sony Motion controller to try and compete with Natal.

Personally, I doubt Natal and Sony Motion controller will make much of a difference. Nintendo just has too much control in that area, and its doubtful 3rd party support is going to be enough to turn a lot of buyers over. Bar an extremely aggressive marketing campaign, an offering from Nintendo in 2010 similar to that of Wii Sports Resort will probably discard those as meaningful... especially the Sony Motion Controller which is a very modest offering. Natal, could create its own little niche though and be able to get more developer support and buyers, but it also had to get over that hump of 360 being an action genre console.

So will the sales be close? It appears that way but I expect PS3 to be doing much better in the first 4 months, with both evening out in the summer, and then an undecided holiday season. Potential price cuts might occur but that would work in MS's favor not Sony's given $150 looks a lot better than $250. But I would think none of them would want to drop the price considering they would make nothing off of it for the rest of the generation. I also think Nintendo is going to play a pretty big role. The downed sales in 2009 allowed Sony to get some larger sales to make more competition between PS3 and 360. Had Wii still been on the same levels, it is hard to think the PS3 Slim would have been as successful as it was. Thus if Nintendo aggressively approaches 2010, it could be a completely different story. But for now PS3 over 360 but much closer when it is all said and done.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
tuscaniman said:
I can't say who will end up in second place (not that it matters), but I can tell you one thing. America is pro xbox now and sony will end up behind microsoft for now on. The '720' will thoroughly beat PS4 in America as well. Therefore this gen and next gen will be a tight race.

Too early to call that.

I don't think its too early to call it. I don't know where you live but here Indianapolis, IN USA Xbox is king.  No  its not the biggest market (12th largest city in US) but I know how I see it. I would assume most if not all PS3 owners here were previous PS2 owners and want to stay with their familiar system, but I also know the 360 shifted alot from the PS2 market to the 360 brand. I see some of the PS3 owners shifting to the '720' market next year. Its has in some way become 'America's console' the way the Japanese embrace Sony.

I expect PS3 to dominate all the way up to the Holidays... Then who knows what will happen.

If Microsoft doesn't counter, it will be domination above the levels of Q1-3 2008.

But Microsoft WILL counter, so until we know how and when, that's impossible to predict.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

tuscaniman said:

I don't think its too early to call it. I don't know where you live but here Indianapolis, IN USA Xbox is king.  No  its not the biggest market (12th largest city in US) but I know how I see it. I would assume most if not all PS3 owners here were previous PS2 owners and want to stay with their familiar system, but I also know the 360 shifted alot from the PS2 market to the 360 brand. I see some of the PS3 owners shifting to the '720' market next year. Its has in some way become 'America's console' the way the Japanese embrace Sony.

I see no PS3 owners jumping to the next xbox.  Reason being Sony's far superior 1st party games will keep them loyal and xbox reputation for awefull quality will keep them away.   Also Ps3 owners will not be willing to PAY for online, they are used to it being free.

With out a early release and big price advantage the next xbox/PS will be PS2/xbox all over agian. 

YAhh sure they will embrace it, the way they embraced GM and Chrysler ?

CGI-Quality said:
tuscaniman said:
CGI-Quality said:
tuscaniman said:

Too early to call that.

You can't come to that conclusion based on one city in the United States. Furthermore, if this gen has proven anything, it's that things can change in a heartbeat. Look at last gen, PS2 was the King, and NOTHING got close to that. Now, here we sit in the next gen, the gen where it was expected that the PS3 would rule it.The 360 rules in America for one big reason, Sony messed up in the beginning with one of the biggest factors for a purchase in the US, high price. For next gen that tiny factor will probably not be an initial issue.

These things aren't so clear cut. Sony has Japan for obvious reasons but those reasons aren't so obvious in the US however.

Alright last post on this subject. I'm not basing this on one city in the US. Do you live in the US? If you don't then any response you have is a moot point. 360 is double PS3 here. 360 will stay way above PS3 here and the '720' will have a huge gap on the PS4 as well. What you are failing to realize is how big a consumer base the 360 has built for its next console. PS2 dominated the Xbox, but somehow the 360 stole the market share from Sony in America. Its not magic how they did it and the same formula will be repeated for the '720' Microsoft will not relinquish America.

Also the anticipation for the 360 was just as huge as the PS3 here in America. Nobody expected PS3 to dominate the 360 as the PS2 did to the Xbox. At least not here.