By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do you predict a tight race between 360 and PS3 next year?

the PS3 has been gaining serious momentum ever since the slim was released, but next year when the holidays are over and sales go back to normal levels, how do you think things will go as far as the 'battle' for 2nd place goes?

MS has always been hellbent on outselling the PS3 no matter what, so I dunno if they´re really going to wait for Natal to try and regain momentum for the 360...MS has been 'too quiet' lately, do you think they´re planning something for the 1st or 2nd quarter next year?

Around the Network

It would be like MS to release an unfinished development and rush manufacturing if it meant high initial sales, even if they have to fix things later. Big early sales means more support from third parties, even if it's a broken product.

Just waiting for that PS Vita to come out so I can play some full featured games on the go with that beautiful screen and control scheme...

I expect Microsoft to do something to attempt to regain momentum during 2010. I could see a pricecut (up to $50), around when Sony releases the Wands, and then bundling Natal at around the same price when it releases in the fall. As you said, Microsoft seems very determined to remain in second place, and I think they will do as much as they reasonably can to stay ahead of the PS3 in total sales.

Of course it's going to be a tight race, given the amount of AAA software and motion controls.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

I expect the PS3 to continue to outsell the 360 until Natal is released. After that comes out I predict the 360 will start to outsell the PS3 again and never look back.

Around the Network

I predict the X360 has peaked either last or or this year and will not sell better from now on. This is it's 4th year out, it's quite surprising it sold as good as it did for this long.

I dought any price cuts from Microsoft will do anything, a little bump, back to normal it's already at $199 and they come out with a price cut every 6 months - year. I highly dought Natal will do anything, just reminds me of the Eyetoy on the PS2, it never really took off, and was only accepted by a specific group of people. Other then that all Microsoft has is Gears of war and Halo, but everyone that wants to play those games already owns a X360, so that'll just satisfy the people that already own the X360 instead of actually attracting new consumers.

Microsoft needs to invest all that money into new IPs.

So I say the PS3 will continue to outsell the X360 on a regular basis (excludng the odd week the X360 will outsell the PS3 from price cut/game etc) until this gen is over (both companies stop the PS3 and X360).

No. Yakuza 3 and 3D Dot Game Heroes will crush this pitiful rebellion.

When it comes to the HD consoles, one usually sells pretty steady over the other until the trailing console makes a big move. So PS3 should have the edge until MS brings out Natal, and I'm not 100% sold that Natal will be the game-changer MS wants it to be.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Gilgamesh said:

I predict the X360 has peaked either last or or this year and will not sell better from now on. This is it's 4th year out, it's quite surprising it sold as good as it did for this long.

I dought any price cuts from Microsoft will do anything, a little bump, back to normal it's already at $199 and they come out with a price cut every 6 months - year. I highly dought Natal will do anything, just reminds me of the Eyetoy on the PS2, it never really took off, and was only accepted by a specific group of people. Other then that all Microsoft has is Gears of war and Halo, but everyone that wants to play those games already owns a X360, so that'll just satisfy the people that already own the X360 instead of actually attracting new consumers.

Microsoft needs to invest all that money into new IPs.

So I say the PS3 will continue to outsell the X360 on a regular basis (excludng the odd week the X360 will outsell the PS3 from price cut/game etc) until this gen is over (both companies stop the PS3 and X360).

People seem to really not understand MS' strategy with NATAL.  MS has publically stated it will be console launch equivalent, which makes sense given that 360 will have been on the market  5 years when NATAL launches.  NATAL is to eyetoy as a fighter jet is to a skate board.

badgenome said:
No. Yakuza 3 and 3D Dot Game Heroes will crush this pitiful rebellion.

Amen, bro!

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!