By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Worldwide Hardware Numbers UP for week of Black Friday

Avinash_Tyagi said:
ChrisIsNotSexy said:
So hardware sells because of great games,but are the Wii games so great compared to the PS3/360 games that the Wii obliterates the both consoles?I doubt it.

My mom disliked gaming for years, when I went to visit for the holiday, she wanted to continuously play Wii sports resort and NSMB Wii.

While you many not think they are better, a lot of other people feel they are

those that have never experienced a ps3 or a 360, would say so.

My father thinks negative of the wii, I bullshit you not. Despite me begging him to buy me one in 2007, he said no.

mM
Around the Network
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
^ no its the game, the balance board on its own is a glorified pad, ti was the games that could be played on the board that captivated people

No people bought Wii because they played it, and loved the games, especially Wii sports, that game converted millions to Wii.

no, the core games wouldn't have helped profits, because they don't sell as much, bridge titles and expanded audience sells more. Iwata didn't say they blew it on games or needed more core, what he said was that they didn't keep a continuous supply of quality games going, for much of the year no real releases came out, and Wii music and Animal crossing were underwhelming, it wasn't until the second half of the year that software picked up and it wasn't until recently that real hardware movers were released.

I didn't say Iwata said they needed more core.  He said they had insufficient quality games, agreed, and I say that it's naive to think that N can always have a guaranteed string of 15million+ casual titles.  That's speculative and unwarranted, so don't expect it: make core, too.  And core games could help sales and profits: even though not selling 15 million each, there is still profit on each one produced.  I'm suggesting produce them in addition to, not instead of, casual titles.

When someone describes or hears about a Wii game and body movements are involved, and that is a large part of the allure, the person is excited about the hardware; that's what allows the immersion they are excited about.  If the same "game" were on an expensive console with a standard, intimidating gamepad (if even possible), neither the game nor the console wouldn't take off in sales.  We both know that it's both the hardware and the software, and I admitted that if N had made totally crap games for the Wii, it wouldn't have done well.  On the other hand, the gimmick of the hardware goes a long way, so your insistence that sales of casual games means the quality of the games is high is misplaced.

The hardware is just how the game is implemented, the fact is, its the tennis game that draws people, the hardware only allows the tennis game to be movement based rather than gamepad, on the other hand a movement based FPS probably wouldn't have drawn in as much, because the game would have less appeal.

Quality is rather subjective, but we know from long term sales of Wii games, that people find them appealing and the word of mouth on those games is very strong

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

forest-spirit said:
Why in Pikachu's name, did this thread have to turn into one of the worst "my game vs your game", or "my console vs your console" war I've seen in a long time?

Some people just don't get that you can love X without having to hate on Y, you can praise A without having to bash B, and...dum dum dum, it's OK for other people to have a different opinion or different favourites than you.

Thank you for your time.

Because some user with a doggie avatar was offline, came back online saw the thread had become a "PS3 is doomed as it doesn't make profit" thread & so decided to say "FF13 will be the best game ever!!!" to change the topic

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
forest-spirit said:
Why in Pikachu's name, did this thread have to turn into one of the worst "my game vs your game", or "my console vs your console" war I've seen in a long time?

Some people just don't get that you can love X without having to hate on Y, you can praise A without having to bash B, and...dum dum dum, it's OK for other people to have a different opinion or different favourites than you.

Thank you for your time.

Because some user with a doggie avatar was offline, came back online saw the thread had become a "PS3 is doomed as it doesn't make profit" thread & so decided to say "FF13 will be the best game ever!!!" to change the topic

OK. If you know this guy with a doggie avatar, could you please tell him to come back and change the topic again :P. I think we need it.

forest-spirit said:
darthdevidem01 said:
forest-spirit said:

Thank you for your time.

OK. If you know this guy with a doggie avatar, could you please tell him to come back and change the topic again :P. I think we need it.

{looks around shiftiliy}

{clears throat}

it was gurglesletch, but I think he's sleeping now!!

Thank you for your time forest-spirit!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
^Define best ever

Me.

Let's change the subject to me.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

The real story is the platinum selling club. DS is a beast Wii crossed a million (wonder how many weeks it will do this as it will be the only console this gen to do so;)

PS3 success comes at the expense of 360's and vice versa it seems.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

ps33333. solid numbers all around though. i always enjoy watching the sales skyrocket as the year ends.

It's all about the game.

I guess the ultimate one million in a week is still firmly Nintendo territory this gen

Still its a good number for Sony posting a neat 0.3 mil gain in one week.

Trouble is to maintain this will be nigh on impossible and to gain the two million plus that many had hoped on MS by new years day now seems highly unlikely

That said MS will have to respond as momentum is firmly with the Sony machine in the HD realm.

At the current rate of catch up the PS3 and Xbox will tie in late 2012

Wow, pretty impression numbers by all sides, if I say so myself.

"Life is but a gentle death. Fate is but a sickness that results in extinction and in the midst of all the uncertainty, lies resolve."