By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why aren't PS3 owners more dedicated to their system's amazing games?????

1.-X360 is dominating in the USA
2.-Average income in the USA is much better than the average of the rest oh the world
3.-Comparatively, games in the USA are cheaper than most of the world (if not the cheapest). I have to pay between 50% to 100% extra money to get the same games/consoles/accesories/etc.

Do the freaking math.

Around the Network

Both Critic and User reviews for inFamous were great. Is an 85 metacritic after 98 reviews "Mixed" now? Also, there really wasn't much hype for it until close to release which is normal for an average game.

4 ≈ One

Jereel Hunter said:

Oh, and Little Big Planet/Resistance: Fall of Man are now on the PSP, so they aren't PS3 exclusives. (And if we're talking Sony vs Microsoft Exclusives, games like Gears 1/Mass Effect/L4D2 etc are still limited to Microsoft platforms)

Resistance:Retribution is a completely different game from R1 and R2. LBP on PSP is a completely different game from LBP on PS3. That's like you're saying Gears of War 2 is on PC because Gears of War 1 is on PC.

4 ≈ One

I will say to you what Onyxmeth said to me roughly 14 months ago:

Go spend a day in the sales forum, and figure out how sales work. You can't blame PS3 owners because PS3 games don't sell like Halo and Gears, that is absurd. Halo is the most advertised game franchise in the world, most probably, and it's become synonymous with the Xbox brand. It's been there from the start. Like Gran Turismo, or Mario, it will be extraordinarily popular, as long as the developers keep up the quality. Which they do. You can't expect a franchise, in its second iteration, to do much better than Uncharted 2 has done, especially considering the sales of the original Uncharted.

Has it occured to you that most people have no interest in Uncharted or inFamous? Uncharted has the potential to become huge, over time, but inFamous is a sandbox superhero game. You may have enjoyed it, as I did (it's one of only three Platinums I've bothered to get, the others being the Uncharted games), but most people won't, because it is NICHE. A game does not sell on quality, it sells on renown and appeal. Quality helps, but it's by no means the most important factor.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Jereel Hunter said:
ZorroX said:
MetalGearSolid_4ever said:
ZorroX said:
10M exclusive sellers:
x360 - 1 (Halo 3)
PS3 - 0

5M exclusive sellers:
x360 - 1 (Gears of War 2)
PS3 - 0

3M exclusive sellers:
x360 - 3 (Forza Motorsport 2, Halo 3: ODST, Fable II)
PS3 - 4 (Metal Gear Solid 4, MotorStorm, Resistance: Fall of Man, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue)

2M exclusive sellers:
x360 - 0
PS3 - 3 (Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, LittleBigPlanet, Killzone 2)

Where's Gears of War 1 ?

Gears of War was timed exclusive and now is only x360 console exclusive. This list contains with only real exclusives.

I can add Gears of War, Mass Effect and L4D, but picture won`t change much.

No, what doesn't change much is semantics. The fact that 360 can have so many more 2m+ sellers while sharing them with PC shows its strength selling, if anything. Expecially since this forum is exclusively talking about PS3 game sales vs 360.

Oh, and Little Big Planet/Resistance: Fall of Man are now on the PSP, so they aren't PS3 exclusives. (And if we're talking Sony vs Microsoft Exclusives, games like Gears 1/Mass Effect/L4D2 etc are still limited to Microsoft platforms)

I can understand your considering LBP non-exclusive, even though you're wrong, because it's not. It has the same name on PSP and PS3...it also has a different campaign, new features, and other features missing. It is a completely different game. If there was a "Pikmin" on DS, the game wouldn't cease to be GC-exclusive, because it would be a different game. Same with Mario Kart Wii/DS.

Resistance, on the other hand...what? They have different names, they are even in different genres. That becomes like saying SMG isn't Wii exclusive because Mario Kart DS is on DS.

Around the Network

The PS3 just has a hard time moving software due to the small userbase. It will improve over time.

yeah i also sometimes get annnoyed with people ,but i think the trend is changing with more consoles

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

As for multiplat sales, that is a changing trend. And it IS mostly related to userbase. Particularly in America where the 360's userbase is nearly DOUBLE that of the PS3.

Besides, not ALL 360 exclusives sell those enormous numbers. Just Halo and Gears. Most 360 exclusives, like PS3 exclusives, sell in the 2-4 million range.

dbot said:
The current tie-ratios by console through September 2009
(Note: This is only for NA. Source: NPD)
Xbox 360 8.8 Units per system
PS3 6.8 Units per system
Wii 6.5 Units per system

If you are going to compare software sales by system, you shouldn't cherry pick individual titles but should use overall sales. Also note the 360 has been on the market for a year longer than the PS3/Wii.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/25740/Analysis_Wii_Software_Sales_Slow_Down_In_2009.php

Tha really tells you something... Ps3 is only 2 games per console behing 360 in its home territory when 360 games always sell better multiplat AND 360 has Halo 3... thats outstanding. Ps3 probablly makes that up WW... maybe even beats out the 360 considering I bet Japan heavily favors Ps3

I think what he's saying is that the PS3's user base is almost all hardcore gamers so why don't they all buy more of the core games that are released. There are no 199 PS3 directed at more casual players who only buy a few games so PS3 exclusives should be 5mil or close to it. Wii and 360 both have alot of 5mil+ exclusive core games but Ps3 has none. (Counting games like Zelda and SSB for wii)