By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why aren't PS3 owners more dedicated to their system's amazing games?????

I'm so annoyed with PS3 owners, especially those in the Americas. I track sales pretty regularly on vgchartz, and I've noticed a very annoying trend in ps3 and 360 game sales: 360 games sell very well, especially in the U.S., and almost regardless of the game quality, while PS3 games (of most interest to me are the ps3 exclusives) sell badly, especially compared to 360 exclusives, and especially in the U.S.! Game sales for 2 games in particular are frustrating: Uncharted 2 and inFAMOUS. Uncharted 2 is one of the HIGHEST RATED GAMES OF ALL TIME!!! After 100 review scores, Uncharted 2 had not a single score under 90! The game is nothing short of EPIC. All its praise, all the advertizing, all the quality..yet it only sold 421,000 week one in the Americas. I'd say that Uncharted 2 is to the PS3 what Halo is to 360 (although U2 imo is a hands down better game than halo, but that's my opinion, no flame war needed), yet odst, a game considered by many to be not much more than an expansion rather than a whole new halo game, not only blew Uncharted 2's week one sales out of the water in it's first week, but continues to maintain strong sales even now after all of the bad hype and poor reviews of the game. It's just really unfortunate that Uncharted 2 is not receiving the sales it's so worthy of getting. The game is amazing, and I wish it would sell 20 million copies, but PS3 owners just aren't dedicated enough to their system to faithfully buy and support it's great games; 360 owners are much more dedicated to their system it seems. To give an example...Left 4 Dead 2 just released with a lot going wrong for it: bad hype for releasing so soon after L4D1, feared to be just an expansion, releasing on the SAME DAY as Assassin's Creed 2, and only one week after MW2. Well, guess what? After all the things sabotaging L4D2, this 360 exclusive (which IS one of 360's top games, but is definitely not to 360 what Uncharted 2 is to the ps3) still managed to outsell Uncharted 2 in the Americas!!! l4d2 sold 550,000 copies in the America's week one, 130,000 more than what Uncharted 2 sold in the Americas in it's first week. What's wrong with U.S. PS3 owners??? U2 outsold L4D2 overall in week one, but only due to the "Others" section of sales.

Now onto inFAMOUS...it's the same situation as U2, except MUCH worse. inFAMOUS is probably the 3rd best game i have EVER played (only Uncharted 2 and Metal Gear Solid 4 are above it): great action, great powers, great gameplay, great story, great animation, great graphics, great characters, and so on and so forth. Critic reviews were mixed for inFAMOUS, but user reviews are almost all positive and the game had a lot of hype around it. I saw only a few bad user reviews, and i don't know a single person that has played the game that was anything less than blown away by it and instantly hooked. What a great game in so many ways, yet what are the sales after 6 months? Just passed 1 million...pitiful!! What a waste! Such a great game, yet so many people aren't even willing to give it a try. It has all the right ingredients, and is one of the biggest releases for Sony/PS3 in all of 2009, yet it has sold terribly. I just don't get it. If this game had released as a 360 exclusive it would have sold at least 2 million by now, probably even more...

So let me know what you guys think? There are many other games that have upsestting sales: Killzone 2, Resistance 2, LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet and Clank 1 and 2...and I did'nt even mention the fact that almost every multiplatform game sells significantly better on 360 than ps3 (seems to be more than just due to lesser ps3 install base), especially in the Americas. Am I really the only one who is confused and annoyed by PS3's inferiority in sales compared to the 360? Comment and let me know your opinions.

Around the Network

Umm...

You need to understand that not all games are Call of Duty, Halo, Gran Turismo or Mario.

Uncharted 2 sold 830k Worldwide in its first week ! Games don't need to sell like MW2 to be successful.
Lifetime sales of 1 million is enough for a game to be a "hit" imo.

Don't care about the lack of taste with other guys... Enjoy what you can get for yourself. A game doesn't need to sell 1 M plus to be a great hit imo. If it suits me it is a hit for me already, even if it received a bad review score.

The opinion of others is somehow overrated in the last time since Amazon, youtube etc. grew so big and gained importance.

Life is short... It is all about priorities!

I am a Freerider 4 life, no matter if on a surfboard in the sea, a snowboard or ski in the mountains or the combo with a kite in the plains... Adrenaline's my engine and better than any video game can ever be - Check it out! ^.^b

i think PS3 owners are a lot more spread out with what kind of games they play , besides that , some just use it as a blu-ray and others for different stuff outside gaming , the damn thing does Everything :P

A lot Games on the PS2 didnt even Sell like some games on the 360 , the 360 is some kind of beast when it comes to moving software .

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

im thinking its because some people actually bought the system for only a blue ray player lol....either way, yeah it is kinda sad to look at infamous sales....aaaa well, mabye next time

Around the Network
Attoyou said:

i think PS3 owners are a lot more spread out with what kind of games they play , besides that , some just use it as a blu-ray and others for different stuff outside gaming , the damn thing does Everything :P

A lot Games on the PS2 didnt even Sell like some games on the 360 , the 360 is some kind of beast when it comes to moving software .

Haha, indeed it does. Good points, i've considered/wondered the same things as reasons for the software difference.

Uncharted 2 isn't the most popular genres at the mo. IT WILL HAVE SERIOUS LEGS.
All in all it will definitely be classified as a success in years to come.

Now on to inFamous.Well, I for one did not pick it up. Guess there are too many people like me out there :P

But yeah, it is kinda sad. Things will change as PS3 gaines market share - especially in NA.

just goes to show you that reviews and sale are 2 very different things. Just because a game has great reviews doesn't mean it is automatically going to sell well. It needs to have good marketing and mass appeal.

Man on Wire may be one of the top rated movies ever (100% on rotten tomatoes), but it only made about 2 million in the box office. Where as Star War episode 1 which got pretty mixed reviews (62%) made almost a billion in the box office.

Sales has nothing to do with reviews so don't sweat it.

I was wonder'n about that to... then again i recently bought Tekken 6, SW: TFU - Ultimate Sith Edition, Some anime-rpg ps3 golfing game, and a really neat hack' n slash game that i now forget what it was called....

uhm... im not a hypocrite or anything... just sayin ya know... that ... uhm... sometimes 3rd parties > 1st parties in the grand-scale of things.