By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Grammy Nominations Announced - Taylor Swift and Beyonce lead ALL

Ps3 said:
I don't believe payola still exists.. Radio stations play whats now and whats good.. Just because the music isn't from the 70's and is about drugs doesn't NOT make it real music. lol

Stevie Wonder is a REAL musician who has been around for years. IMO the beatles don't have a quarter the talent he does.

At least you like Stevie Wonder. I guess that should count for something.

Oh, and labels still pay to get music played. Trust me, a friend of mine is a music exec. It's still all about the wining and dining.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Ps3 said:
I don't believe payola still exists.. Radio stations play whats now and whats good.. Just because the music isn't from the 70's and is about drugs doesn't NOT make it real music. lol

Stevie Wonder is a REAL musician who has been around for years. IMO the beatles don't have a quarter the talent he does.

At least you like Stevie Wonder. I guess that should count for something.

Oh, and labels still pay to get music played. Trust me, a friend of mine is a music exec. It's still all about the wining and dining.

Exactly "Play this song and we'll throw you a bunch of money" may be illegal but "Oh, your station needs a sizable donation? That's cool... I got something you might like to hear." isn't

After reading this entire topic I feel like smashing my head into a wall.
I would say stop feeding the troll, but to my horror I think he's being serious.

draik said:
After reading this entire topic I feel like smashing my head into a wall.
I would say stop feeding the troll, but to my horror I think he's being serious.

I think he is too or else i'd just "lol" and move on. I think its hysterical that he says talent is measured by sales... but only if its taylor swift.

Anything played on the radio is extensively tested to be listener friendly. They literally call people up play music for them and ask if they like it. If its a no then that artist isn't played on the radio. Which is why music that is different rarely gets a shot.

Its what happened to Kenna who many in the industry thought would be the biggest musician of the error.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network
Signalstar said:
Anything played on the radio is extensively tested to be listener friendly. They literally call people up play music for them and ask if they like it. If its a no then that artist isn't played on the radio. Which is why music that is different rarely gets a shot.

Its what happened to Kenna who many in the industry thought would be the biggest musician of the error.

Not trying to be a dink here but did you mean "biggest musician of the era."<-- meaning a specific historical period?

rocketpig said:
Ps3 said:
If a song can't get played on the radio... the artist failed by impressing the DJ's, who control the music. it's their fault they try and make songs like 40 years before their birth dates.. That's SOOOO out.

You think DJs choose what music they play?

Jesus, you are naive.

Actually here in the Twin Cites (Minneapolis and Saint Paul, Minnesota) we have a station that the DJ's do get to pick their music. It's called The Current (89.3 fm) and it's part of the Minnesota Public Radio network. Have a listen at MPR.org and support your public radio station! I have never heard Taylor Swift on this station, BTW.

CommonMan said:
rocketpig said:
Ps3 said:
If a song can't get played on the radio... the artist failed by impressing the DJ's, who control the music. it's their fault they try and make songs like 40 years before their birth dates.. That's SOOOO out.

Jesus, you are naive.

Actually here in the Twin Cites (Minneapolis and Saint Paul, Minnesota) we have a station that the DJ's do get to pick their music. It's called The Current (89.3 fm) and it's part of the Minnesota Public Radio network. Have a listen at MPR.org and support your public radio station! I have never heard Taylor Swift on this station, BTW.

td>

I'm very familiar with that station. It's a kick-ass station and as soon as I'm near the TC, my radio flips to it. Milwaukee has a similar station (same frequency, even) and that's good as well.

On topic, I've never heard Taylor Swift on either of those stations. Funny how it works like that.

rocketpig said:
CommonMan said:
rocketpig said:
Ps3 said:

Jesus, you are naive.

td>

I'm very familiar with that station. It's a kick-ass station and as soon as I'm near the TC, my radio flips to it. Milwaukee has a similar station (same frequency, even) and that's good as well.

On topic, I've never heard Taylor Swift on either of those stations. Funny how it works like that.

Milwaukee has a station like that too? Is it a public radio station? I'm actually quite impressed with both Wisconsin's and Iowa's (surprisingly) public radio stations. I'll check it out next time me and the gal take a long weekend trip to Chi-town. Thanks rocketpig! 

I don't think it's a public station but the DJs pick what they play and it's a damned good station.

Correction, I think it's 88.9 FM. I have it on a preset so I don't pay attention to its frequency.

Oh, and Wisconsin Public Radio is pretty excellent, as is Minnesota's. I'm not familiar with Iowa's.