By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Grammy Nominations Announced - Taylor Swift and Beyonce lead ALL

letsdance said:
ps3... you are putting waaaaaaay too much stock in trivial things like sales, awards, and air time. no one is dening she is popular now. but they sure the hell aren't blinded by the taylor swift hype like you are. when it dies down you will realize how silly you were in thinking these things. you can bring up whatever you like... and each example you use people can counter with things like milli and vanilli and david hasselhoff... do you think those guys were legendary too?

They weren't praised for their song writing skills and weren't Music prodigies! Nor were they selling out concerts left and right and Madison Square Garden in 1 minute! How do you know Taylor will fade out? She's gonna be around forever!

Reputation proceeds me, they told you I'm crazy, I swear I don't love the drama it loves me <3

BUY TAYLOR'S NEW ALBUM REPUTATION!!

Around the Network
Ps3 said:
letsdance said:
ps3... you are putting waaaaaaay too much stock in trivial things like sales, awards, and air time. no one is dening she is popular now. but they sure the hell aren't blinded by the taylor swift hype like you are. when it dies down you will realize how silly you were in thinking these things. you can bring up whatever you like... and each example you use people can counter with things like milli and vanilli and david hasselhoff... do you think those guys were legendary too?

They weren't praised for their song writing skills and weren't Music prodigies! Nor were they selling out concerts left and right and Madison Square Garden in 1 minute! How do you know Taylor will fade out? She's gonna be around forever!

You're turning me away from her. I kinda defended her during the whole Kayne thing, but goodness. She's not going to be around forever. She's not going to be around in 10 years! Look at NSYNC and Backstreet Boys, just as popular at the time. They too faded away.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Ps3 said:
letsdance said:

You're turning me away from her. I kinda defended her during the whole Kayne thing, but goodness. She's not going to be around forever. She's not going to be around in 10 years! Look at NSYNC and Backstreet Boys, just as popular at the time. They too faded away.

Nsync was just a pop band so was Backstreet Boys! Britney and Christina are still around! And they are legends!

Reputation proceeds me, they told you I'm crazy, I swear I don't love the drama it loves me <3

BUY TAYLOR'S NEW ALBUM REPUTATION!!

i dont think you know what legends are. Nsync and backstreet boys lasted longer than Cristina. Her career died real fast and shes barely done anything. Brittany is still around because for some reason the american public like watching train wrecks... do you want to consider Lindsey Lohan a llegend too? Paris Hilton?

Ps3 said:
letsdance said:
Ps3 said:

Okay... but just because they love it doesn't mean they are great.

...LOL AND EXACTLY LIKE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN TELLING YOU FOR WEEKS "Just because she sells albums dosnt mean shes great"

Yeah it does... people love it, so they buy it..

That's a ridiculous statement, no?

Sales to quality most likely has a positive correlation, however weak it may be, but I would think it'd be obvious that it is far from causal as you seem to believe.

So no matter the product, as long as it sells well, it's of good/great quality? All of the time?

Ps3 said:

They weren't praised for their song writing skills and weren't Music prodigies!

I think the word prodigy should be reserve for actual, you know, prodigies. I admit, I am unfamiliar with most of Taylor Swift's work, however, I couldn't be more sure that I would not include in a category that consists of musicians like Mozart.

Around the Network

LEONA LEWIS FOR THE WIN!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

A couple things here, DJ's do not pick the music that they play, Clear Channel or CBS decide which music is played, Clear Channel (owns the most radio stations in the country) is a division of Disney. Giant corporations literally decide what you listen to Ps3. The DJ's these days just click "start" on a management-approved setlist on their computers.

Taylor Swift, by changing over to the pop side did herself a great disservice. Had she stayed strictly country, she might have had a long career. Females have a much better chance at a long career in country, especially pretty one's (but not necessarily, look at Wynona Judd, not much to look at but she could sing). But now she's in the pop scene, and with few exceptions, the pop scene chews up and spits out "super popular" artists on a semi-annual basis.

I actually think Taylor Swift is a fine singer, easily could have made runner up or even won American Idol. That doesn't mean she is legend though. America loves mediocrity, Am Idol has been on for 7 seasons now churning out the same person over and over. That is exactly where Swift belongs, in the same group as your Kelly Clarksons and Carrie Underwoods.

You don't have to open your mind and listen to anything else, by all means tap your toes to all the pop artists you want. That's all you'll ever get from them though, is toe-tappingness. You'll never have your mind blown by how amazing that song makes you feel. Hey, that's all some people need. It's not our place to judge your tastes.

That being said, there really honestly no comparison between a Taylor Swift and somebody like the Beatles or Ray Charles. Or heck, even Michael Jackson, who was in the same category 20 years ago. Music will look exactly the same in 3 years when Taylor Swift isn't there as it did before she came on the scene. Those 3 artists I listed changed the face of music forever.

OT: I have already commented on the Grammy's, but here it is again, America loves mediocrity.

America loves watching something they created be destroyed

Ps3 said:
outlawauron said:
Ps3 said:
letsdance said:

Nsync was just a pop band so was Backstreet Boys! Britney and Christina are still around! And they are legends!

Still around? Christina is gone and Britney is just a shadow of her former self.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Ps3 said:
If a song can't get played on the radio... the artist failed by impressing the DJ's, who control the music. it's their fault they try and make songs like 40 years before their birth dates.. That's SOOOO out.

You think DJs choose what music they play?

Jesus, you are naive.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/