By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Another developer doesn't see "make games up to standard" as an answer.

"Well when it costs 10 million$ to develop a game the market does tend to be less saturated by shovelware.."

This isn't about less shovelware on those systems.

"option A: the wii with less then 50% market share (which over this year was shrinking) with a fan base they don't understand how to develop games for."

1. Marketshare does not make a game sell less or more unless the gap is huge, and you're ignoring that it's a close gap.

2. Except they do know how to develop games, they just don't want to do it. I pointed out point blank that a game from a hit series, with all the attention and care as the HD games, will make a hit. That isn't an unpredictable fanbase. That's just ignoring they can repeat that winning formula on the Wii.

"complain all you want but that wave a 3rd party support everyone was clamoring about a year or two ago isn't coming."

Except those companies are losing money by not supporting the Wii (NOT that they can't make games for the other systems, just don't neglect the Wii). So we have every right to complain, not only for the lack of support, but for the brazen stupidity.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Looking at the "games" list on their website (http://www.lightningfishgames.com/games/) they are hardly the voice of experience and knowledge in this arena.

They tried to capitalize on the Wii Fit craze and failed. That translates to "The market is saturated with crap, so we can't sell games on Wii"?

These peope should be ignored. This is like taking driving advice from a 4 year old.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X

it's just a symptom of lower development costs.
Indie devs have been complaining about exactly the same thing on XBLA, when development costs are cheap everyone think they can make a game and make a quick buck and as a result the market gets saturated by Shovelware...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

"it's just a symptom of lower development costs.
Indie devs have been complaining about exactly the same thing on XBLA, when development costs are cheap everyone think they can make a game and make a quick buck and as a result the market gets saturated by Shovelware..."

Of course. It's just it means the best developers can stand out. XBLA has its best games stand out. The PS1 and PS2 had plenty of great games to rise above the shovelware. Developers just aren't trying that on the Wii enough.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

I'd actually say the OP was true for me. I got burned by Mario & Sonic, Metroid Prime 3, Super Paper Mario, Zack & Wiki, Twilight Princess Wii Fit and Wii Music. I was also a little disappointed by The Conduit.

Apparently the only franchises I can trust now are mainline Mario games. My favourite home console series are Mario, Metroid, and Paper Mario but two are uncertain now.

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
"it's just a symptom of lower development costs.
Indie devs have been complaining about exactly the same thing on XBLA, when development costs are cheap everyone think they can make a game and make a quick buck and as a result the market gets saturated by Shovelware..."

Of course. It's just it means the best developers can stand out. XBLA has its best games stand out. The PS1 and PS2 had plenty of great games to rise above the shovelware. Developers just aren't trying that on the Wii enough.

Actually it is very hard for good games to stand out on XBLA if they don't get a lot of buzz at expos like E3...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

"Actually it is very hard for good games to stand out on XBLA if they don't get a lot of buzz at expos like E3..."

Let me amend that. I mean the big games with big brands. Whether they are any good doesn't matter that much, but that applies to any system. Saints Row 2 got a lot of praise for being as good as the PS2 GTAs, but it only sold a fraction as well as them.

they have it set in their minds what they think works on the Wii and what doesn't. when their ideas fail they could not possible blame themselves or their analysts. they blame us. one of the only companies who is even half-heartedly trying is activision. at least they give us their calls of duty with only a little tweaking (even if it is a year late).
EA acted like they were going to try. they pretended they were going to make a PS360 game for the Wii. but then they destroyed those hopes by making it a rail shooter, instantly turning many people off from the game. then they called it their test game, even though it was nothing like the game they would have made for the PS360.
sega is giving a valiant effort by publishings games like madworld and the conduit. unfortunately those games just weren't that good. they wouldn't have done well on PS360 either.
all we need is one or two efforts to actually create something worth playing.
give us a real GTA. im sure the vice city engine would run just fine on the Wii.
give us a real, quality, FPS. or else nintendo will have to make my most anticipated game: Mario Paintball Arena. its probably up to nintendo to carry the Wii now. i say nintendo should just buy up a couple more studios. their first party games are leagues ahead of any 3rd party attempts on the Wii.

LordTheNightKnight said:
"Well when it costs 10 million$ to develop a game the market does tend to be less saturated by shovelware.."

This isn't about less shovelware on those systems.

"option A: the wii with less then 50% market share (which over this year was shrinking) with a fan base they don't understand how to develop games for."

1. Marketshare does not make a game sell less or more unless the gap is huge, and you're ignoring that it's a close gap.

2. Except they do know how to develop games, they just don't want to do it. I pointed out point blank that a game from a hit series, with all the attention and care as the HD games, will make a hit. That isn't an unpredictable fanbase. That's just ignoring they can repeat that winning formula on the Wii.

"complain all you want but that wave a 3rd party support everyone was clamoring about a year or two ago isn't coming."

Except those companies are losing money by not supporting the Wii (NOT that they can't make games for the other systems, just don't neglect the Wii). So we have every right to complain, not only for the lack of support, but for the brazen stupidity.

I don't know about this developer's games, personally, but his point is sound.  The Wii was so cheap and easy to develop for that it does have legions of shovelware abounding.  This directly impacts big non-Nintendo titles on Wii from doing well.  Retailers have to guess what games get the limited space, games get less time on the shelf because new shovelware is always being produced and needs a chance to sell, games get less advertising because there are so many clamoring for it or the developers simply can't afford advertising, etc.

Look at how many games that received tons of attention and detail still sold well under expectations.  MadWorld, The Conduit, Dead Space Extraction, Madden games, Metroid Prime Trilogy...  All high quality "core/hardcore" titles that have failed very likely because of the literal mounds of shovelware and shovelware sequels.

I agree with the sentiment that the 3rd parties have completely lost their marbles over the Wii. At the same time we get threads like this at least once a day. The fact is unless their in denial (like these publishers) most of the vgchartz users agree with this too, it seems that this true even if they are fans of the PS360 (which will repeately tell you to go buy a HD platform even though many of us have one already, which is missing the point btw). 

All I want to see is good games on the Wii, I don't care if it gets ports from the HD twins, in fact I'd rather it have it's own unique titles. But I'd at least like these titles to have the same kinda effort put into them as the ones on the HD platforms.

On to me actually making a point. The point is we are are vocal minority, we can complain about how the third parties are in their own little world all we want but they probably don't post or lurk on vgchartz, unfortunately.