By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - (Opinions)"Natal and Sony Wand will fail to meet expectations"

I believe that the Sony Wand aka Sphere will fail to make any real impact.  It really offers no significant differences from Nintendo's offering other than the PS3's horsepower and since casuals wouldn't care about that anyways it puts the PS3 at a major disadvantage.  The Wii has better and more well known casual games and is $100 cheaper.  In fact Sony's gameplan is the same kind of obvious "What the hell are they thinking?" that could easily be seen with the PSP Go and initial PS3 price point.  Add to that Sony's very sloppy demonstration of the tech at this year's E3 and it's obvious they're making a half-assed attempt that is doomed to failure.  The best that they can hope for is ports of Wii games that does nothing to differentiate its offering.

Natal on the other hand has a much better chance at success.  It's very obvious to casuals that it's a different offering than what  they can get on the Wii.  It's also obvious that Microsoft is betting a lot more on this so you can bet that there is going to be significantly more advertising dollars and other money poured into the effort.  I also believe that EA, Ubisoft, and Activision will show a lot more support for it since it is likely obvious to them that Microsoft is far more serious about taking on the Wii.  Everyone can argue about the accuracy of the system but in the end if people can more easily feel like they're a part of the game it has the possibility of being a game changer.  Add to that the fact that it's something new compared to Sony's offering and that alone should give it a lot more attention from the media.

Around the Network

I think Microsoft will brute force some level of Natal success. They're basically treating it like a platform relaunch, they're eating costs, already heavily promoting it, lining up big commitments of support (pretty much every major publisher so far) and rumors point to a console bundle and 14 game launch even.

Sony on the other hand seems like it doesn't know wtf to do with Swand or Sphere or whatever (hell, they don't even know what to name it), it's only a season away and it's only launch game is looking like it'll be a repackaged RE5. Imagine if Wii had launched with just RE4 and wasn't even named until fall 2006...

SmokedHostage said:

Really quick, let me say that these are my sloppy, collective thoughts on Natal and the Sony Wand and how well they will be received.

Now you're probably asking yourself, "Why does this Ninty fanboy think that Natal and the Sony Wand will fail?"  To simplify my answer, I'd like to say one word. Disruption.  The Wii came into a market that was so focused on HD visuals, bigger and better hardware, and the future of the medium through the desires of last generation's gamers that an entire market was left generally ignored.  Now it's 3 years later and this market isn't so untapped anymore.  They've moved to the console that spoke to their needs; their accessible, more lax game playing needs.  It's not longer disruption products that're being pitched at these casual game players but rather, it's a drive towards a "We have that too" race to catch up.

That said, I have to say that I full heartily believe the Natal and the Sony Wand will not meet the expectations of most people who follow this industry.   The general mentality is that because the PS3 and 360 are much more powerful platforms than the Wii(graphically) and because their respective motion-based devices will be better than a Wii remote, Natal and the Sony Wand will seem to take over the more casual market over night.  Sometimes, I think it's forgotten that software creates momentum.  Will software like Ricochet or a Motion ready LittleBigPlanet be what these types of game players want?  Small XBLA titles like Ricochet and games with a traditional control scheme with one of these devices tacked on like Resident Evil 5 and LittleBigPlanet seem to be want several publishers are shooting for.  I'm sorry to honestly can't say that these games are disruptive. 

Will third party developers who develop on Wii flock to HD consoles and come up with a line-up for unproven hardware?  I doubt itThe development for HD consoles has proven time and time again to be pricey and those relatively new to the architecture of these machines are definitely going to have a hard time.  Another thing that comes to mind, what types of strategies will they use to sell these titles?  They can borrow strategies that worked well for the Wii, the commercial style of Carvinal Games, the bundling of Wii Sports, the unique covers of Madden on Wii, but here's the thing.  You probably know it by now. GASP!  It's not disruptive.

In the end, the market will speak with its millions of dollars.  I can't really say that I'm right or I'm wrong but I don't see Natal or the Sony Wand being the megahits they've been conceived to be.  I don't know.  Maybe I'm just a cynical Ninty fanboy.

replace i doubt it with yes since ubisoft is developing 10 games for natal with all launch as a natal release title or within six months of natal launching.http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/21586/Ubisoft-Plans-Heavy-Support-For-Natal/.

they don't have to do graphics game for natal its casual remembe which means it could be caroonish graphics. i myself wouldn't mind sartoonish graphics with fun and great gameplay.

Ubisoft huh. I hope all you 360 owners like Rabbids...

There are expectations for the ps wand?

"Kinect" Games I am really excited about (Click for videos)

Kinectimals        Dance Central      Kinect-Sports   Kinect-Adventures    Your Shape       Kinect-Forza

Owner of :   slim 1000 +  80GB DSlite

Around the Network

my thoughts are for consoles the wand and natal would fail. now here is my other thought when i first saw natal. instead of M$ making it xbox360 only why not scrap the idea to be on the 360 and do it for pc owners. i know as a pc user if that was on here for a decent price i would look at maybe getting it. cause i mean think about it your everyday actions on a pc are turning pages on forums and such, looking at articles, surfing the net, alot are on facebook, and some are gamers but the gamers already have a mouse and keyboard just for gaming. can you imagine being on a pc on an HDTV and using natal to do all your daily things on it. i know for me it would be a must have cause of the ideal of the whole thing and the ease of its use in a pc perspective.

dick cheney loves me, he wants to take me hunting

mkwii code- 1977-0565-0049

The fact that the wand can be used much like the wiimote is exactly why it *will* succeed, I think. It will be cake to port Wii game concepts to the PS3, via the wand.

Not sure why people think that's a bad idea at all. The Wii and PS3 will start to have crossplat games, both casual and otherwise. That's a huge boon for both the Wii, the PS3, and the publishers making those games for the Wii today.

scorptile said:
my thoughts are for consoles the wand and natal would fail. now here is my other thought when i first saw natal. instead of M$ making it xbox360 only why not scrap the idea to be on the 360 and do it for pc owners. i know as a pc user if that was on here for a decent price i would look at maybe getting it. cause i mean think about it your everyday actions on a pc are turning pages on forums and such, looking at articles, surfing the net, alot are on facebook, and some are gamers but the gamers already have a mouse and keyboard just for gaming. can you imagine being on a pc on an HDTV and using natal to do all your daily things on it. i know for me it would be a must have cause of the ideal of the whole thing and the ease of its use in a pc perspective.

Are you kidding? Using arm or hand motions to browse through websites, e-mail, documents, selecting and moving things with gestures and motions? Actually 'typing' texts im the air with my fingers? It'd be terribly awkward, slow and tiring, compared to a simple mouse and keyboard.

Something like that would only appeal to the truly obsessed, perhaps it'd be fun, for a while, but the novelty would wear off quickly. Stuff like that just doesn't work for professionals, maybe for looking through some holiday pictures with the family it'd be okay, but that's about it.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

This thread annoys me because there's actually people making opinions off of no valuable info. I mean we don't know ANYTHING about SONY and MS motion gadgets other then some tech demos. we have no idea of what game's will be launching, how hard they will be advertised, and most importantly how 3rd parties see them, hell.....there reports saying that JAPAN was happy about SONY wand and then theirs the video with a bunch of developers pledging to support wand so its off to a get good start.

Natal doesnt look ready. I mean the lag in the racing demos was frightening but it could have other uses besides real time interaction.

The Sony Wand - To quote Chad Warden "Man that thing looks like a dildo, I dont wanna play with no dildo"

How the once mighty have fallen. Of the two I think Natal will fair slightly better.

The Sony Wand is just a blatant rip off of Nintedo's motion plus and original dildo....I mean controller.