By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii are not amused (a nintendo betrayed the core gamer article)

maykissthebride said:
woopah said:

Every gamer has imag­ined it at one point in their lives. The day when a vir­tu­al re­al­i­ty head­set or mo­tion cap­ture suit re­moves the ‘mid­dle man’ of a con­troller from the game play­ing ex­pe­ri­ence, and truly draws you into an es­capist vir­tu­al world where the lim­its of the cor­po­re­al do not apply. We could dance around our re­spec­tive liv­ing rooms, wield­ing un­re­al weapons or travers­ing alien ter­rain, and all with­out leav­ing the house thanks to tech­ni­cal in­no­va­tions that seem all but guar­an­teed to ar­rive at one point or an­oth­er.

Alright, look. I didnt read the whole thing.

But this paragraph right there... that´s what REAL people is saying that the wii is lacking

Please, keep in mind that you, reading this forum post on vgchart are NOT "real people". You are a gamer geek. You waste all of your day whining in foruns and scavenging news game blogs and in the end of the month you buy one game. You are 10% of the gaming market, and you think you´re the whole pie. You´re not.

With that set up, you gotta understand this: real people still wait for the motion controlled games they were promised, back at the beginning of the wii.

And look, read this: as soon as Natal start to pull of what nintendo promised (and didnt delivered), things will look very bleak for nintendo.

No I am not a geek!(because I haven't time enough to play with the studies...I hate this word... geek....otaku sounds better but It refers also to people who loves mangas...)

Around the Network
Dr.Grass said:
Cheebee said:

Blahblahblah Nintendo doesn't make good games anymore Blahblahblah Wii is for little kids and soccermoms Blahblahblah I want hardcore HD games Blahblahblah...

I'm so tired to death of these people... -___-'

Upcoming Wii games:

No More Heroes 2
Red Steel 2
Metroid Other M
Mario Galaxy 2
Endless Ocean 2
The Grinder
Monster Hunter 3
Dragon Quest X
Zelda Wii
Retro game
Final Fantasy TCB

... The list goes on, but I'll leave it at that. These people need to get a life or else sell their Wiis and go make love to their PS3s and 360s. Sheesh.

YEAH!

I played Mario Galaxy for 4 hours straight last night. It may even rival Metroid Prime as my nr1 game of all time.

NSMB is an exceptional game.

Next year I'll be playing Galaxy2.

Metroid Other M

Zelda Wii

I can't wait for Pikmin.

+others.

So complain about the lack of HD fps games...blahblahblabblablahblah

I'm happy.

Let's add Monado: Begining of the New World to the list

woopah said:
the thing is he isnt a fanboy.

he writes very well and he has clearly put a lot of time and effort into this. As a student myself this is what a lot of the knowledgeable student gamers think. My own university paper had an article on the eurogamer London Expo. It was written by the editor of the gaming section and was entirly about PS3 and 360. The only mention of anything else was when he remarked how no one was playing avatar on the wii and that he would 'rather gouge outhis eyes with a rusty spoon' than play the game

It sounds to me like he might be genuinely unhappy with Nintendo at the moment and makes a good fist of explaining this disappointment but I still fail to see how it's Nintendo's fault that he had pie in the sky expectations of the Wii from the beginning. People talk about being let down by Nintendo not giving them 1:1 control from the beginning but I watched all the same promotional stuff for the Wii from the start and never remember being promised that level of control.  I do remember when I was much younger reading about PS1 and N64 promises regarding 3D graphics and being disappointed with the reality.  With the benefit of highsight I can see that the fault was not Sony or Nintendo's, rather my own unrealistic expectations regarding what was technologically possible at the time.

I agree that he isn't a fanboy but he is rather proficient at selecting facts to suit the point he is trying to make. He speaks about lack of creativity and recycling of old IPs, yet fails to realise that creativity is not simply a new coat of paint and can in fact often be made more palatable  when found in a familiar guise.  For someone who claims to be a long term gamer he certainly doesn't seem to get one of Nintendo's core philosophies which as i see it is to give people new, fun, innovative and creative experiences in a familiar package. Metroid Other M clearly isn't resting on it's gameplay laurels and from what we have heard, neither is Zelda Wii.  Furthermore, if Nintendo hadn't made a sequel to Galaxy, one of the most highly rated games of all time and a game that also happened to have rather stellar sales, they would have been accused of not catering to their core fanbase who were clearly hanging out for such an announcement.

He also refers to "another shed load of Wii-Music type games", which I honestly have no idea what he is referring to and then he goes on and makes the rather grievous error of repeatedly blaming third parties for their poor efforts on the Wii.  How is that Nintendo's fault? Nintendo tried once to enforce strict standards on third party developers and we all know how that ended and if their is one thing Nintendo can't afford to do at the moment it's to alienate these developers further.

Finally I would like to bring up the issue of motion controls where he suggests that Wii's most critically acclaimed games are those for which the preferred control method remains a classic gamepad.  Take one look at the most critically evaluated games on the Wii and you find a mix of games that are played with a traditional controller and those that make excellent, although sometimes subtle use of the Wii controller. Miyamoto has said that it was never his intention and it's not his desire to have motion controls shoehorned into titles and would prefer it was only used when appropriate. Thus it seems fitting that the best games on the system are a mix of those using traditional and motion controls.

After having read through the article a couple of times I have to say I'm still not really sure what this guy's conclusion is.  Don't get your hopes up you might be disappointed?  Once again, it's not really Nintendo's fault. In the end I'm left with the feeling that although this guy isn't necessarily a gaming fanboy, he might just be a Star Wars fanboy who's just miffed that he hasn't gotten his lightsaber game yet.

Dr.Grass said:
woopah said:

he writes very well and he has clearly put a lot of time and effort into this.

I agree that his style of writing is very sophisticated.

This is where I could not disagree with you guys more. The article has a very poor sense of flow, contains way too many useless clauses and sentences, misuses (needless) phrases... Basically, it's clear that the guy is trying to write in a "scholarly" fashion in an attempt to make himself appear more intelligent. Unfortunately, he failed in that attempt AND that manner of writing is unnecessary for anything that isn't written in some obscure journal that no one reads (and even then most of us appreciate plain English much, much more...).

I'd honestly have more respect for the guy if he wrote the same article, but without this pretense of "high-class" writing. It'd be much shorter, for starters.

noname2200 said:
Dr.Grass said:
woopah said:

This is where I could not disagree with you guys more. The article has a very poor sense of flow, contains way too many useless clauses and sentences, misuses (needless) phrases... Basically, it's clear that the guy is trying to write in a "scholarly" fashion in an attempt to make himself appear more intelligent. Unfortunately, he failed in that attempt AND that manner of writing is unnecessary for anything that isn't written in some obscure journal that no one reads (and even then most of us appreciate plain English much, much more...).

I'd honestly have more respect for the guy if he wrote the same article, but without this pretense of "high-class" writing. It'd be much shorter, for starters.

Basically, your handwriting can be eloquent but the content is still chickenscratch.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
Dr.Grass said:
woopah said:

Couldn't agree more.  This presumptuous way of writing diminishes any point he was trying to make.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          The part about the N transitioning from red to gray made me lol.  

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

maykissthebride said:

Alright, look. I didnt read the whole thing.

But this paragraph right there... that´s what REAL people is saying that the wii is lacking

Please, keep in mind that you, reading this forum post on vgchart are NOT "real people". You are a gamer geek. You waste all of your day whining in foruns and scavenging news game blogs and in the end of the month you buy one game. You are 10% of the gaming market, and you think you´re the whole pie. You´re not.

With that set up, you gotta understand this: real people still wait for the motion controlled games they were promised, back at the beginning of the wii.

And look, read this: as soon as Natal start to pull of what nintendo promised (and didnt delivered), things will look very bleak for nintendo.

Now, now, you have it confused.

"Real" people had their promises delivered with Wii Sports alone. Wii Play, too. Wii Fit went above and beyond. Wii Sports Resort? Hell, that shit might as well be magic.

You are creating a false dichotomy between "real people" and the "gamer geek", but only in the sense that the division in your dichotomy is uneven, impractical, and does not reflect reality.

The Wii is a great console. I just can't personally endorse it as a primary console. Shooters? Advantage Ps360. Western RPGs? Advantage 360 and PC, 3rd place to PS3. Sandbox games? Advantage Ps360. Action-Adventures? Advantage Ps360. Fighting games? Advantage Ps360. Serious Sports games outside of Tiger Woods? Advantage Ps360. I could go on and on.

It's unfair to call the Wii shovelware. About 42% (according to NPD) of 360 and PS3 gamers own a Wii. But the Wii is seen as a complimentary second console to these gamers. The Wii can never replace a Ps360. Whether this Blue Ocean strategy is good or bad, that's up to you to decide. All I know is, the Wii wasn't very high on my priority list (now that I have a 360, it's bumped ahead of PS3 though in my list because it's more complimentary than a second nearly-identical console) and the same is true for lots of gamers who care about the genres listed above.

Those who are satisfied with using the Wii as a primary console are generally hardcore Nintendo fans, women and guys who are either sick of or didn't care much for the PS1/PS2/Xbox/Sega systems. If you grew up with Sega, Playstation and/or Xbox and if you want a similar experience this gen, the Wii is not recommended.

For handhelds though, I support Nintendo all the way. The PSP has a great library but if I really want to play 'core' PS2-like games, I have a PS2 and a 360 for that. I don't want to play them on a PSP.

I've always had Nintendo consoles in the past, as primary consoles. And i've got to say that the Wii is the least interesting Nintendo console thus far.

The problem isn't Nintendo itself, they still make great games. The problem is the lack of quality 3rd party games that interests me. Also some of Wii's best 3rd party games are ports of old games, re4 and okami comes to mind, thats not good at all imo.

And the online system really sucks big time, friend codes and it's usually a laggy mess.

So for me the Wii can never be a primary console, at least not the way it's now. Luckily i have a PC to game on.

well nintendo were never gonna get the hardcore crow so just leave it at that

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"