By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - can modern warfare 2 outsell halo 3?

Its not even black friday/x-mas yet, and it's already at 10 million.

lmao I think it will.

can't wait for Track Season 2009/2010, guna beast out!

Travis Touchdown ERECTION CONFIRMED!

Around the Network

dont think it will, halo IS the xbox 360! you get a 360 you buy halo or you atleast know what it is thats why halo has legs.

heruamon said:
Carl2291 said:
heruamon said:
There is no time for it to catch Halo 3...Halo Reach will be out next year, and that will sap sales of MW2, in addition, a new COD will be out next year as well...

ODST and WaW didn't stop CoD4 from selling.

Infact, in the 10 weeks up to MW2 release CoD4 sold ~200k on the 360 alone. WaW did ~130k.

Why would they have?  We are talking about a year from now...and it's a matter of supply and demand.  The used game marketplace, along with other big shooter releases will have an impact on MW2's legs.  How many copies of Halo 3 sold in that 10 week period? 

CoD4 was 2 years on. Not one year. Im just showing you that those games you mentioned wont necessarily cut into MW2's legs.

Probably about 220k Halo 3's sold... Maybe more.

Seece said:

Reach will not hinder MW2, in fact any shooter is not going to hinder the sales of any other shooter.

Why do people have this "thing" where people can only buy one shooter!!!

Mw had an 80% drop off, much bigger than Halo 3 if I remember. so we'll see how legs go. Just because COD4 had great legs doesn't mean this game will.

Halo 3 had a 80% drop too.....

Xigmund said:
Its not even black friday/x-mas yet, and it's already at 10 million.

lmao I think it will.

The 360 version hasn't sold 10 million so that number is irrelivant.

It has the potential to outsell halo 3 on the 360 but I doubt it will have the legs halo 3 had so my moneys on halo at this point.

Around the Network
Barozi said:
Seece said:

Reach will not hinder MW2, in fact any shooter is not going to hinder the sales of any other shooter.

Why do people have this "thing" where people can only buy one shooter!!!

Mw had an 80% drop off, much bigger than Halo 3 if I remember. so we'll see how legs go. Just because COD4 had great legs doesn't mean this game will.

Halo 3 had a 80% drop too.....

Yeah it did, well I guess only time will tell!

well according to ioi MW2 will only sell about 400k on 360 next week so idk now... (mw2 saw a 80 percent drop)

We can't really say until next spring...in movies for example, a decent film has a 2.7 multiple, which means you multiply the opening weekend to get where it's going to finish. For huge blockbusters, it drops a bit, but others buck the trend...TDK for example. For the 3 biggest opening weeks on the 360, it's followed this trend, so it's going to be interesting to see if this rule of thumb holds:

Halo 3 - 2.71
GTA4 - 2.16
GeOW2 - 2.74

By spring, I think it's going to be much easier to project where MW2 will end up, but at this point, it's a bit presumptuous to assume it's going to run a Halo 3 Multiple.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

toastboy44562 said:
well according to ioi MW2 will only sell about 400k on 360 next week so idk now... (mw2 saw a 80 percent drop)

What do you mean with next week ? The 2nd week ?

Because ioi said that MW2 had a 80% drop and sold 1.7m combined. That's about 1m for 360 and 650-700k for the PS3 version. (Dunno if pc sales are included, so +-100k)

The next cod will cut off mw's legs. Halo 3 has had a WHILE to keep selling. It has also been bundled.

Conclusion: mw2 wont beat halo 3 saleswise

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler