By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So next stop for Ps3 = Wii.Impossible?

At the beginning of 2010 the Wii will have a 30 Million unit lead on the PS3 and will be outselling it worldwide on a monthly basis, and there is little reason to believe that the PS3 will be able to overtake the sales of the Wii by a wide margin in 2010; so it is safe to assume that the Wii will have at least a 30 Million unit lead on the PS3 at the end of 2010.

Now, regardless of what console manufacturers claim, it isn't realistic to expect these consoles to have not been replaced by their manufacturers much past 2012; and it is not realistic to expect much in the way of sales from any of these consoles much past 2013. This gives the PS3 (at best) 3 years of sales to make up for a 30 million unit lead when the PS3 has averaged less than 10 Million units sold per year since it launched.

Basically, even if Nintendo stopped selling the Wii at the end of 2010 and Sony was able to sustain sales of the PS3 through 2013 the PS3 still couldn't pass the Wii in lifetime sales.

I think that it is possible that the PS3 could achieve sustained sales above the Wii if Nintendo releases a new system in 2011; but the PS3 would never be able to have the kind of sales dominance over the Wii that the Wii had over the PS3, and the beginning of a new generation would soon end the lives of all three consoles. When you combine this all together, the PS3 is never going to catch the Wii and probably doomed to be third for the rest of the generation.

Around the Network

Seriously, some high posters are saying Wii/Xbox360 lineup is better than Ps3?I thought you would lose that fanboy ribbon when you post around 1000.
Well maybe it has for your own taste but you must be dreaming to make others to think same.
Its basicly 15 Ps3 titles vs 1-3 xbox 360/Wii titles.

Take my love, take my land..

Probably not until the PS3 drops in price again, but that could be 2 or more years from now.

Not in the biggest fanboy's wildest dreams.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Simulacrum said:
Seriously, some high posters are saying Wii/Xbox360 lineup is better than Ps3?I thought you would lose that fanboy ribbon when you post around 1000.
Well maybe it has for your own taste but you must be dreaming to make others to think same.

Ah, but good games, that's a matter of personal preference and taste. Personally, I couldn't care less about games like FF13, GT5 and God of War.

Give me Galaxy 2, Endless Ocean, Metroid or Zelda over any of those anyday.

If *you* think PS3 has a better lineup next year than Wii or 360, fine, good for you, so be it, but don't criticize others for not agreeing with you and calling the PS3 the best thing since sliced bread.

Pratice what you preach man, *you* are the one trying to make others think the same as you, saying PS3's lineup is the best. Now who's a fanboy? :s

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network
1-3Simulacrum said:

1-3 wii/360 titles! I could name a lot plus wiiware games, I think 360 has about 7 stunning games in 2010.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

HappySqurriel said:

At the beginning of 2010 the Wii will have a 30 Million unit lead on the PS3 and will be outselling it worldwide on a monthly basis, and there is little reason to believe that the PS3 will be able to overtake the sales of the Wii by a wide margin in 2010; so it is safe to assume that the Wii will have at least a 30 Million unit lead on the PS3 at the end of 2010.

Now, regardless of what console manufacturers claim, it isn't realistic to expect these consoles to have not been replaced by their manufacturers much past 2012; and it is not realistic to expect much in the way of sales from any of these consoles much past 2013. This gives the PS3 (at best) 3 years of sales to make up for a 30 million unit lead when the PS3 has averaged less than 10 Million units sold per year since it launched.

Basically, even if Nintendo stopped selling the Wii at the end of 2010 and Sony was able to sustain sales of the PS3 through 2013 the PS3 still couldn't pass the Wii in lifetime sales.

I think that it is possible that the PS3 could achieve sustained sales above the Wii if Nintendo releases a new system in 2011; but the PS3 would never be able to have the kind of sales dominance over the Wii that the Wii had over the PS3, and the beginning of a new generation would soon end the lives of all three consoles. When you combine this all together, the PS3 is never going to catch the Wii and probably doomed to be third for the rest of the generation.

I think wii sales will be safely around 66 million by June or could be more.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Carl2291 said:

Whatever makes you sleep well at night.

But does that change the fact that reviews from people who are paid to review games, have shown PS3 to have the best software for the past 2 years? No.

Does it change the fact that some people cry and complain like a bitch when there game doesnt become AAA (See numerous games rated at 89) or when there game gets reviews changed/removed/added and it drops? (See Ocarina of time getting lower score on GameRankings).

Anyway, to stay on topic... What do YOU think of the OP?

Neither of those facts has anything to do with a "superior" software library, as asinine as that idea is.

As to the OP: I'm not going to call it impossible, but I will call it so unlikely that it is effectively impossible.

Cheebee said:
Simulacrum said:

Ah, but good games, that's a matter of personal preference and taste. Personally, I couldn't care less about games like FF13, GT5 and God of War.

Give me Galaxy 2, Endless Ocean, Metroid or Zelda over any of those anyday.

If *you* think PS3 has a better lineup next year than Wii or 360, fine, good for you, so be it, but don't criticize others for not agreeing with you and calling the PS3 the best thing since sliced bread.

Pratice what you preach man, *you* are the one trying to make others think the same as you, saying PS3's lineup is the best. Now who's a fanboy? :s

^ THIS!^

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Khuutra said:
Carl2291 said:

Whatever makes you sleep well at night.

But does that change the fact that reviews from people who are paid to review games, have shown PS3 to have the best software for the past 2 years? No.

Does it change the fact that some people cry and complain like a bitch when there game doesnt become AAA (See numerous games rated at 89) or when there game gets reviews changed/removed/added and it drops? (See Ocarina of time getting lower score on GameRankings).

Anyway, to stay on topic... What do YOU think of the OP?

Neither of those facts has anything to do with a "superior" software library, as asinine as that idea is.

As to the OP: I'm not going to call it impossible, but I will call it so unlikely that it is effectively impossible.

I was just showing how it matters quite a lot to quite a few people.