By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - This site has far too much spyware.

I am not sure where it comes from, but about once every other day a message pops up asking me to scan my computer for problems.  It is clearly a trying to direct me to a spyware site and it is a pain in the butt because I have to use CTL, ALT, DEL to close that screen out and have to restart my web browser.  Another sign of a poorly designed hacking site.  If it is not that annoying screen, twice my virus scanner/spyware scanner picked up a potential problem which is even worse.  Does this site accept money from known problematic sites?  This is the only site I have had this many problems with and I am guessing one of the sponsors is causing the problem.

Just a general warning.  If a popup sight every asks you you to "Click Here" when it looks suspecious, usually claiming it found a spyware or virus, do not click it or close it.  Right click the bottom taks bar and click close or if that does not work as with this sites, CTL, ALT, DEL close it.  It will most likely crash your browser, but it will prevent you from going to a spyware site or downloading a virus or spyware.

Around the Network

Yea it's kind of weird, at home, my antivirus never says anything is wrong with this site, but at school, I got a warning almost everytime I open the main page, and even on some threads.

i never get any messages like that from this site. maybe your pc has already been infected?

sully1311 said:
i never get any messages like that from this site. maybe your pc has already been infected?

Nope.  I always keep my computer very clean with CCleaner, Zone Alarm and the full version of Sophos.  It is clearly this site that causes the problem.  I am just glad I have a on-access spyware scanner now because I always used to get spyware before.  Now I rarely if ever have any spyware issues.

I've seen the same thing from the VGChartz site, usually when browsing through the PC games section. It's disheartening and frustrating to know that this site doesn't screen its advertisers better.

Around the Network

Never happened to me. But then, I take...precautions.

It did happen once, actually. Which is when I began to take said precautions.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I am on MY WII. I got a message about virus/spyware protection about an hour ago. On a Wii! It said I was under attack and then pretended to perform a system scan (X number of Viruses were found!).

I took a screen pic with my cell phone.

d21lewis said:
I am on MY WII. I got a message about virus/spyware protection about an hour ago. On a Wii! It said I was under attack and then pretended to perform a system scan (X number of Viruses were found!).

I took a screen pic with my cell phone.

Are you going to show us the screen pic?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I'm still on my Wii. Add me on the PSN and I'll send it to you. I may get on my PC later on tonight. My kid is on it right now.

Yeah, I was trying to find a way to tell them to cut it off. Infact today I got that "Virus Scan" trash while refreshing a page. By the way I have MacAfee and Malwarebytes so It's not my computer.

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*