By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - With PSN going to subscription fees ...

papflesje said:
We don't know. All we know is that Sony has stated to their shareholders I think it was that for next year they planned to increase PSN revenue through subscriptions.

It can be a flat fee to play psn games, a movie subscription ala netflix, gaming fee ala xbl gold... we'll have to wait and see what they have planned.

See, this is where you're missing the point. When they state this, you apparently believe them. When they say that PSN as it is now will remain free, you pull up the "you're a tool for the company, stop believing PR", while basically it's clarification of what they said.

Whether it turns out true or not, is not the point. The point is that you are now dodging one statement and 'accepting' another, while incomplete.

Id high five you if we had the technology.

Around the Network

It's just speculation that Sony will do that. I for one hope they don't... not because of Sony or the PS3 specifically, but in general I don't want online gaming to be a paid service especially when games are moving away from dedicated servers (which is the only thing that costs money for them to maintain).

As for what Microsoft would do if it happened, probably just point, laugh and tout their service as being better.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

My god, some of the posts in this thread.. unbelievable.

Kaz Hirai himself said that PSN will remain free, or are people just denying what he says?

@Smashed

Xbox live is free, Gold cost money tho.

And i doubt PSN would start charging, that would be stupid. Why would you pay for something with less features than the counterpart HD console,when you can pay for the best online.

Garnett said:

@Smashed

And i doubt PSN would start charging, that would be stupid. Why would you pay for something with less features than the counterpart HD console,when you can pay for the best online.

Derp, assuming XBOX live has more features than psn.

Around the Network
Garnett said:

@Smashed

Im in shock at the number of people that dont seem to understand there is one reason people pay for Gold. Online gaming, not features.

Update:

Here's the link to the PDF.

According to a PDF from a Sony media/investor conference, Sony is calling the Sony Online Service a "revenue stream."

Here's the link to the PDF - http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/info/strategy/pdf/200911presen.pdf

The Sony Online Service, which is first mentioned on page 20 of the PDF, will integrate several devices and offer premium content.

Here are some details on the PDF:

Listed under 5 Key Advantages of PlayStation 3 - PlayStation Network:

*Rich lineup of content (game and nongame - video, comic, etc.)
*Q2 FY2010: release non-game software development kit
*New revenue stream from subscription

The PDF is filled with other juicy morsels of information.

Wait, subscriptions? Kaz Hirai came to my house with cookies and told me that PSN will always be free, BC would be back and that the other kids were just jealous because I am so much smarter than them. Then he gave me a half-heart necklace that said:

Be
Frei
For

and he had teh other half on, it said:

st
nds
ever

Misleading thread title, this is rumor/speculation as of right now. The OP's assumption that this is some proven fact and his ensuing argument makes for a really stupid topic. "If PSN goes to subscription fees ..." would have at least made sense.

By "new revenue streams subscriptions" it would make more sense to think they mean Qore, Netflix, and MMO subscriptions.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Yeah, its not right. They mean subscriptions, but not subscriptions to the PSN service.