By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - With PSN going to subscription fees ...

Garnett said:

@Bitman Frogs

Your such a Xbot! Sony has never lied to us, i remember playing Toy Story graphics on my PS2.

Sony has NEVER lied to their customers.

lol im so funny :)

I was playing Toy Story graphics on my PS1.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=5940&region=All

And the PS2 can play PS1 games, so there you go.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Kantor said:
Garnett said:

@Bitman Frogs

Your such a Xbot! Sony has never lied to us, i remember playing Toy Story graphics on my PS2.

Sony has NEVER lied to their customers.

lol im so funny :)

I was playing Toy Story graphics on my PS1.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=5940&region=All

And the PS2 can play PS1 games, so there you go.

Tushay...

kowenicki said:
well it would be touche (tushay?) except that looks like it was done on an etch a sketch and coloured in afterwards.

It's still Toy Story

Nintendo should make a game for the Wii called "HD", and then say the Wii can do HD graphics.

Kantor said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
papflesje said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
ssj12 said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
kowenicki said:
psn and subscriptions? who says?

Recently on some corporate event (shareholders conference call? shareholder lunch? I don't know exactly) they were talking about plans to increase psn revenue throu subscriptions, although they didn't explain exactly. 

It might be a flat fee to play whatever psn game, a movie subscription ala netflix, an online fee ala Gold... who knows.

subscritions... umm Qore, Netflix, other services. They will never charge for online gaming.

Yes, and bishops are never found dead at whorehouses.

Faith is such an incredible thing. Sony will do whatever it needs to do to return to profitability. They've already broken promises made to customers and if needed they will do it again because they are a for profit transnational corporation.

Well, if we can't rely on what has actually been said ('PSN will remain free as it is now'), why bother relying on anything...

They also said BC was a core value of what PlayStation is and that they were commited to it.

I can't believe you guys are actually swallowing PR bullshit coming from these huge corporations. No one, neither Nintendo nor Microsoft nor Sony is "on your side". They are all just interested on their bottom line. That's because there's actual people calling the shots and these guys will get fired if the bottom line doesn't look good.

Well, Nintendo is equally evil, right? So I suppose Nintendo is going to charge for online, too?

And Microsoft is going to cut the three year warranty?

And Sony is going to launch a nuke to destroy America?

We don't have any evidence for any of these things, so there's no point in speculating about them.

a) Nintendo: they don't give a shit about online, social gaming features. Unlike Sony or Microsoft. Furthermore their casual-expanded audience wouldn't pay a dime for it the same way they don't miss the whole social gaming feature set.

b) Microsoft: they risk a class action lawsuit, likely to be lost (as the precedent of the class action lawsuit Sony lost on ps1 or ps2 reliability) and forced to do a mass recall which would be more expensive than the 1 billion they set aside for rrod repairs back in 2006 or 2007.

c) Sony: now you are being ludicrous.

I'm glad you are such a corporate drone and I'm sure the corporations tapping your wallet are glad too...

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

You know, I actually think I've played that game! On PC, though. I remember a level where Buzz had to jump between suitcases.

Around the Network

@ bitmap: Yes, they lie; they all do, but to dismiss it all, because some statements were untrue... even if you choose not to believe PR, you can't believe anything ever said by anyone connected to a company...

Still doesn't mean that every statement made surely must mean it's the opposite, because that's how some people interpret it

Bitmap Frogs said:
Kantor said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
papflesje said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
ssj12 said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
kowenicki said:

Recently on some corporate event (shareholders conference call? shareholder lunch? I don't know exactly) they were talking about plans to increase psn revenue throu subscriptions, although they didn't explain exactly. 

It might be a flat fee to play whatever psn game, a movie subscription ala netflix, an online fee ala Gold... who knows.

subscritions... umm Qore, Netflix, other services. They will never charge for online gaming.

Faith is such an incredible thing. Sony will do whatever it needs to do to return to profitability. They've already broken promises made to customers and if needed they will do it again because they are a for profit transnational corporation.

Well, if we can't rely on what has actually been said ('PSN will remain free as it is now'), why bother relying on anything...

They also said BC was a core value of what PlayStation is and that they were commited to it.

I can't believe you guys are actually swallowing PR bullshit coming from these huge corporations. No one, neither Nintendo nor Microsoft nor Sony is "on your side". They are all just interested on their bottom line. That's because there's actual people calling the shots and these guys will get fired if the bottom line doesn't look good.

Well, Nintendo is equally evil, right? So I suppose Nintendo is going to charge for online, too?

We don't have any evidence for any of these things, so there's no point in speculating about them.

a) Nintendo: they don't give a shit about online, social gaming features. Unlike Sony or Microsoft. Furthermore their casual-expanded audience wouldn't pay a dime for it the same way they don't miss the whole social gaming feature set.

b) Microsoft: they risk a class action lawsuit, likely to be lost (as the precedent of the class action lawsuit Sony lost on ps1 or ps2 reliability) and forced to do a mass recall which would be more expensive than the 1 billion they set aside for rrod repairs back in 2006 or 2007.

I'm glad you are such a corporate drone and I'm sure the corporations tapping your wallet are glad too...

a) And PS3 users would be willing to pay for online, after getting it free for 3 years? What's going to happen, you try to log on to PSN one day, and it says "Sorry, you need to pay $40 to continue!"?

b) Considering the RROD failure rate is now lower than the PS2 failure rate (or so I've heard), I doubt it.

c) Of course I'm being ludicrous, that's the point.

Sony won't keep giving us free online because they love us, obviously. They do it because it's a bullet point next to the console. A feature. It convinces people to buy a PS3, and gets them playing online and using the store so they can spend money and buy things. Which Sony does charge for. Some of the more gullible ones subscribe to Qore, as well, apparently not realising that it's PULSE (which is free) with perhaps a game demo thrown in.

Kantor said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
Kantor said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
papflesje said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
ssj12 said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
kowenicki said:

a) And PS3 users would be willing to pay for online, after getting it free for 3 years? What's going to happen, you try to log on to PSN one day, and it says "Sorry, you need to pay $40 to continue!"?

b) Considering the RROD failure rate is now lower than the PS2 failure rate (or so I've heard), I doubt it.

c) Of course I'm being ludicrous, that's the point.

Sony won't keep giving us free online because they love us, obviously. They do it because it's a bullet point next to the console. A feature. It convinces people to buy a PS3, and gets them playing online and using the store so they can spend money and buy things. Which Sony does charge for. Some of the more gullible ones subscribe to Qore, as well, apparently not realising that it's PULSE (which is free) with perhaps a game demo thrown in.

a) PS3 demographic is largely the same X360 demographic and as such after a good amount of bickering they'd be fine paying a fee for online as much as the X360 demographic is. It'd be a big PR blunder for Sony tho but there are ways to manage the PR damage.

b) No one knows the RROD/E74/whatever failure rate. Keep in mind however that at this point MS has dealt with the issue refurbishing units which they might not be able under a court order and refurbishig is cheaper. Additionally a mass recall is bad. Historically few products recover from such kind of recalls and it's something that might outright kill the X360. That's such a big risk that swallowing the repair bill is way safer than risking it.

c) The point is that you are taking corporate PR as a binding promise which it is not. Any scenario where the returns are better breaking PR promises, that's the scenario a corporation is more likely to decide on. Sony is not different from this that any other corporation: they broke the BC promise, they underfunded and underdelivered on the Home carrot they dangled for PR purposes for so long, mischievously used CG to generate buzz around their platform, etc.

What you fail to realize is that Sony is under heavy pressure to return to profitability. Pretty much all their bussiness units are in trouble and the global recession has worsened things. The gaming unit is specially vulnerable at this point given how they are threatend by the dwindling income from the ps2. This is the third year the E&D unit will be profitable and given how the ps3 was launched a year later it should be the second profitable year for SCE. Yet it won't be and there's no certainty the next one will be neither. Furthermore, such bullet point might have been a necessity back when the social gaming feature set of PSN was way inferior to XBL which happened as well when the ps3 was incredibly expensive, for a console. Nowadays neither is true so wether the ps3 needs free online gaming to compete is to be questioned.

In a nutshell, the gaming unit is under heavy pressure to return to profitability: if their internal studies show they don't need free online gaming to compete on the shelves and they can devise a pr scheme to control the damage, they will do it - promises be damned. Unfortunately the answers to this questions are privy to Sony officials so from our point of view we can only wait and see what happens.

But taking corporate promises at face value is laughable. Are you happy doing it? go ahead, but expect disappointment. The only thing one can expect from a corporation is that they will maximize their profits.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

psn fees ? are you guys on drugs ?

omfg !!!! ps2 with a failure rate ??
all consoles now has a failure rate. atari,nes,snes,sega,gameboy, gba,ps1,n64,dreamcast, xbox, ps2,psp, 360, ps3, wii,ds etc.
360 rrod has cursed all consoles ever released