By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu SALES (11/9 – 11/15) -- FF:TCB Is 7th!!

See this is the problem with xbox fans and the xbox itself everything they spew out is fud. The ps3 has FAR more Japan centric software. Just because ms moneyhatted certain software doesnt mean the xbox has more Japan centric games.

Around the Network

Damn the PSP Go is doing very, very bad! Also, low sales for FFCC =/

PS2 hype and Sega's reputation did more to kill Dreamcast than piracy did. Neither consumers or the industry at large had any faith in it.

darthdevidem01 said:
koffieboon said:
PSP is quickly dropping in sales (and they didn't even start high). Wasn't first shipment something like 150k? At this rate those won't be sold until somewhere in 2010.

No thats for DS LL

which will probably outsell PSP's GO!'s LTD in one week at this rate!

Both were/will be 150k 1st shipments.  Some retailers have already begun discounting/bundling GO to move stock.

@jarrod: I think it's a misconception that HD doesn't matter in Japan. They love their high def televisions (I believe they have: fastest and most widespread HD adoption in the world, first country to have HD broadcasts, first country to cease analog broadcasts, most widespread subscription to HD satellite service, etc).

So... to a greater degree than the rest of the planet, Japan's populace is used to having HD images in their home. I think in the final analysis, this may be one of the key reasons why Wii sales have declined since launch in Japan (as opposed to everywhere else): they've always wanted everything attached to their TV's to be HD (including their game console) but they also wanted it to have a sane price.

Around the Network
jarrod said:
darthdevidem01 said:
koffieboon said:
PSP is quickly dropping in sales (and they didn't even start high). Wasn't first shipment something like 150k? At this rate those won't be sold until somewhere in 2010.

No thats for DS LL

which will probably outsell PSP's GO!'s LTD in one week at this rate!

Both were/will be 150k 1st shipments.  Some retailers have already begun discounting/bundling GO to move stock.

well this will probably start happening here too

@Soriku

no actually they were both 150K

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

@jarrod, yeah, that links show 60% failure rate. No.

PSP Go sales can be explained with high price.

Dreamcast didn`t have MGS, FF, DQ or GT game = which are needed for success in Japan.

x360, what can it offer to japanese gamers, that PS3 can`t? So, what the reason for buying it(with high failure rate), when you can get PS3 which will play FFXIII and other japanese oriented exclusives like MGS4, Yakuza 3/4, FFXIIIv, GT5?

ViolentPhlegm said:
@jarrod: I think it's a misconception that HD doesn't matter in Japan. They love their high def televisions (I believe they have: fastest and most widespread HD adoption in the world, first country to have HD broadcasts, first country to cease analog broadcasts, most widespread subscription to HD satellite service, etc).

So... to a greater degree than the rest of the planet, Japan's populace is used to having HD images in their home. I think in the final analysis, this may be one of the key reasons why Wii sales have declined since launch in Japan (as opposed to everywhere else): they've always wanted everything attached to their TV's to be HD (including their game console) but they also wanted it to have a sane price.

It's irrelevant.  They don't was GAMES on their TV, they want them on the go.

HD isn't what stalled Wii sales (which until a year back were ahead of relative PS2 sales even), software was.  Nintendo dropped the ball and (unlike DS) 3rd parties didn't fill the gaps.  In fact, I'd say DS has far more to stall Wii than PS3 has.

iBlah said:
rccsetzer said:
iBlah said:
jarrod said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Gab said:
I don't agree that consoles that deserve to do well are the ones to do well. If that was the case, the Dreamcast would've taken over the world.

I have learnt recently that the dreamcasts sales were good, but SEGA couldn't go on due to low 3rd party support

so technically dreamcast could have sold much more, other factors led to its decline, its not the best comparison here

They weren't really.  It'd only sold about 6-7 million worldwide by the time Sega pulled the plug iirc, the other 4 million were sold at steep discount afterwards.

DC's one of the few consoles that really did deserve better imo.

from wikpeida:

Despite problems with the Japan launch, the system's launch in the United States was successful. In the United States alone, a record 300,000 unit had been pre-ordered and Sega sold 500,000 consoles in just two weeks (including a record 225,132 sold during the first 24 hours). In fact, due to brisk sales and hardware shortages, Sega was unable to fulfill all of the advance orders. Sega confirmed that it made US$98.4 million on combined hardware and software sales with Dreamcast with its September 9, 1999 launch. Four days after its launch in the US, Sega stated 372,000 units were sold bringing in 132 million in sales.

it did GREAT upon release.

No one believed in SEGA anymore, after Sega Saturn , 32x and Sega CD's fiasco. Imagine if now Sony decides to retire PS3. Many developers and stores would go nuts and discredit Sony for the next console, even if it is better than PS3. Sony is doing the right thing when talking about the "10 year cycle plan" for PS3.

huh, I really didn't know that. so they stopped making DC games because they believed it would automatically lose once other consoles were released?? kinda lame, why didn't they all automatically buy PS3??

No.Because they believed that dreamcast life cycle would be short. And it was.

ZorroX said:
@jarrod, yeah, that links show 60% failure rate. No.

PSP Go sales can be explained with high price.

Dreamcast didn`t have MGS, FF, DQ or GT game = which are needed for success in Japan.

x360, what can it offer to japanese gamers, that PS3 can`t? So, what the reason for buying it(with high failure rate), when you can get PS3 which will play FFXIII and other japanese oriented exclusives like MGS4, Yakuza 3/4, FFXIIIv, GT5?

PS2 had a high enough failure rate to warrant class action lawsuits.  There's no credible study yet that shows 360's failure rate at 60% either.

MGS doesn't matter in Japan.  FF and DQ (and now MH) are the biggies 3rd party wise.  In terms of 1st party, VF used to be as big as GT.