By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - ( PCWorld ) Why The Wii Needs an HD Visual Upgrade

Ail said:

Getting the Wii HD isn't going to change things much, the only huge benefit really would be if traditionnal gamers that stucked to HD suddenly moved to the Wii because it has HD support.

Otherwise, HD or not you are still stucked with the problem of how to make this new customer base aware of your products without spending a fortune in the process........

Nintendo only wins because their brand is so strong and old that people are aware of what they do ( and the general press relates it) and they don't have to spend fortunes on marketing ( they do spend a lot but it could be a lot worse).

Traditionnal gaming has always been :

Spend the majority of your cash in development, knowing marketing/advertising costs will be relatively contained as the targeted users follow what you are doing and you don't have to do a lot to raise their awareness...

Issue with the Wii is the opposite :
- spends less in development but spend more in marketing/advertising...

Now I don't know about you, but if a game is going to have a 50 million$ budget, I rather have the majority of it been spent on content I will enjoy than on advertising which I will not get any benefit from as a user.....

I mean when you purchase a coke, or a car, a significant part of the cost of the product is actually marketing/advertising for that product and frankly I could care less as a consumer..

I see it the other way around. Most quality HD games are big blockbuster titles with a huge advertizing budget. Most quality Wii games are small, artsy games with barely any advertizing budget at all.

That certainly explains the sales difference.

Around the Network
Ail said:
At some point Nintendo and especially Regie are going to have to stop blaming others for the lack of serious third party games on their platform and assume their responsability........

This is a business, if there was major bucks to be made on the Wii they would have been all over it for a while.
And please stop saying it's all part of a conspiracy, a guy like Kotik has most likely never held a controller in his hands and barely knows the difference between HD and regular graphics. All he sees is how to maximize the company profits and especially his stock options grants....

There are huge bucks to be made on Wii, look at Nintendo's profits

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Ail said:
At some point Nintendo and especially Regie are going to have to stop blaming others for the lack of serious third party games on their platform and assume their responsability........

This is a business, if there was major bucks to be made on the Wii they would have been all over it for a while.
And please stop saying it's all part of a conspiracy, a guy like Kotik has most likely never held a controller in his hands and barely knows the difference between HD and regular graphics. All he sees is how to maximize the company profits and especially his stock options grants....

Why are you comparing first-party profits to 3rd party?  They have radically, radically different business models.  That Nintendo makes a lot of money from their has relatively little bearing on the 3rd parties.

Apple makes a TON of money from the iPhone store.  Other companies, for the most part, don't, because there's too much competition (over 15000 titles).  The number of iPhone games that make a decent amount of revenue is a tiny fraction of the whole, and none of them compare to the awesome profits accrued by Apple via licensing fees.

Nintendo's business plan is akin to a pyramid scheme -- sheer quantity feeds Nintendo well, but divides the income so thinly amongst the 3rd parties, as to make it hardly worthwhile.

Procrastinato said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Ail said:

Why are you comparing first-party profits to 3rd party?  They have radically, radically different business models.  That Nintendo makes a lot of money from their has relatively little bearing on the 3rd parties.

Apple makes a TON of money from the iPhone store.  Other companies, for the most part, don't, because there's too much competition (over 15000 titles).  The number of iPhone games that make a decent amount of revenue is a tiny fraction of the whole, and none of them compare to the awesome profits accrued by Apple via licensing fees.

Nintendo's business plan is akin to a pyramid scheme -- sheer quantity feeds Nintendo well, but divides the income so thinly amongst the 3rd parties, as to make it hardly worthwhile.

Nintendo makes a lot of profit off the Wii because they make good games in established franchises with solid marketing ...

Unless you're claiming that third party publishers can't do this, I don't see why there is a big distinction between Nintendo and third party publishers.

HD is just a good addition, nothing important, I say this because there is a difference when hooking your ps3 to a non HD tv than a HD tv with the HDMI cable, but this, like I said is just an addition. This is not the reason AC is on ps360 and pc.

Maybe he shouldve gone to an aspect like better tech performance on the system, but there is no need of this and the huge Wii userbase prooves that.

and this is not related, but the difference between a great pc and the ps360 isnt as notable on games because developers think of these consoles because of the higher software sales they can bring, and a pc exclusive with high production costs and with high requierments isnt as safe tp make.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

Nintendo makes a lot of profit off the Wii because they make good games in established franchises with solid marketing ...

Unless you're claiming that third party publishers can't do this, I don't see why there is a big distinction between Nintendo and third party publishers.

When Nintendo advertise they advertise to sell both a system as well as a game. There is a completely different risk/reward structure for them when they consider advertising expenditure vs the expenditure of a third party publisher.

Tease.

Third parties just need to make games with larger appeal, and not throw money at them to please the critics. That's how you make money on the Wii. Nintendo isn't doing this magically. It's the simple formula. How do you think PopCap is doing so well?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Procrastinato said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Ail said:

I don't understand how a pyramid scheme has any similarity to Nintendo's business plan. Nintendo charges licensing fees to third parties just like every console maker does. There's no division of income.

Please explain.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I don't really agree with this article. The reason those games aren't on Wii whilst is partly to do with the power restriction is more to do with the fact that there is a bigger audience for those games on the HD twins. It's easier and cheaper to make an HD game for the HD consoles & PC than having to port down to Wii. The collective user base of all 3 HD platforms is higher than Wii alone and the few core style games that are on Wii don't sell as well as core titles on the HD systems.

Money is there to be made on Wii, but these traditional games are unlikely to come on Wii unless the publisher believes they have broad range appeal and is worth investing in a Wii version.

And I find the difference in core games between the HD consoles and Wii isn't down the visuals, but that games on the HD consoles tend to feel more dynamic and alive. I think physics has played a much bigger role in the HD game experience than 720-1080p visuals alone.

"It's easier and cheaper to make an HD game for the HD consoles & PC than having to port down to Wii."

Have you seen the costs of those HD games? Putting them on the Wii wouldn't be cheap, but more costly and harder? That is just not possible.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs