By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blue Ray customers screwed over again!! Must Read!

Sorry, can't hear you over this awesome DTS HD surround sound.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network
Bladeforce said:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/11/blu-ray-discs-get-managed-copy-hardware-support-nonexistent.ars

Blu-ray discs get Managed Copy, hardware support nonexistent. Yet another reason why blue ray is a crock. I personally am sick and tired of this BS now and just wish BR would disappear. Why all the headache when I just want to watch a freakin movie and they keep moving the goal posts!!

LOL, just like DVD, infact DVD's didn't have any sort of legal Managed copy option, did people complain, no because they had no option. Did that stop people from backing up their DVD's, of course not, and the same applies for Blu-ray.

This whole Managed Copy BS is for the casuals that want to back up their stuff assuming they know and actually want to do it, the people who want to back up there movies have already been backing up their movies since blu-ray was cracked, Software like AnyDVD circumvent any security which then allows any program like Nero to simply duplicate the Blu-ray with no issue other than having a computer capable of doing such a task.

This is really a non issue for those that are into backing their stuff, yet you seem to just hate the format hence you putting it here. now I don't know weather or not your into HD stuff or not, or weather you even back up your own stuff as is right now, but if your complaining just for the sakes, then simply STFU.

Also, this would never be a problem if pirates didn't exist, but that would be an ideal world where people didn't steal, murders never happened, unfortunately we live in this world where shit like this happens, and companies just want to insure their content is protected as much as possible.

I think it's about time for the OP to chime in and admit that they either didn't read the article or didn't understand it.  "I just want to watch a freakin movie."  If that's the case, why does this concern you in any way?  The ability to watch movies hasn't changed.  This is about making legal backup copies.

Don't see how anyone was screwed over by this news. This feature wasn't ever promised before so its an addition to the format that requires new hardware, this is just usual evolution of new formats.

Who cares, managed copy is not a necessity. I don't need it. Besides, the technology already exists to make an "unmanaged copy" and most people REALLY interested in copying would do that anyway to avoid the hassle.

Around the Network
letsdance said:
Oh sorry Ironman... I wasn't aware MS produces Blu-ray hardware and Software like Sony... In fact... I wasn't aware any company other than sony in the BDA did that... my mistake.

Wow, you really are something else...I have yet to see an argument that has an ounce of fact come out of you. It's really too bad, I was trying to like you...really I was. 

Now, let's see, MS owns the codec that is used in Bluray, they also have some stock in it I believe. I love the fact that every says Bluray is a success because of Sony, while this may be true (they screwed over the gaming dept to do so), Sony could not have helped it along had it not been for the likes of MS and Panasonic.

@ DGC, if you own the DVD, you can legally make backup copies of it. Same with Blu-ray. Same with CD...heck, any form of media you own, you can make copies of legally. Once you start giving the copies away, or even worse, selling them, it become illegal. Oh did I mention, you can lend people your copies.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

Anyone on this thread buy a Blu-ray player for the future promise of "Managed Copy"?

pause

Neither did I.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

ironman said:
letsdance said:
Oh sorry Ironman... I wasn't aware MS produces Blu-ray hardware and Software like Sony... In fact... I wasn't aware any company other than sony in the BDA did that... my mistake.

Wow, you really are something else...I have yet to see an argument that has an ounce of fact come out of you. It's really too bad, I was trying to like you...really I was. 

Now, let's see, MS owns the codec that is used in Bluray, they also have some stock in it I believe. I love the fact that every says Bluray is a success because of Sony, while this may be true (they screwed over the gaming dept to do so), Sony could not have helped it along had it not been for the likes of MS and Panasonic.

@ DGC, if you own the DVD, you can legally make backup copies of it. Same with Blu-ray. Same with CD...heck, any form of media you own, you can make copies of legally. Once you start giving the copies away, or even worse, selling them, it become illegal. Oh did I mention, you can lend people your copies.

You are only allowed one copie in some countries.

It is however illegal in  the US to sell software/hardware that allows copying of DVD or CDs that contain copyrighted material...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:
ironman said:
letsdance said:

You are only allowed one copie in some countries.

It is still a copy, DGC was saying it was illegal to make any copies.

It is however illegal in  the US to sell software/hardware that allows copying of DVD or CDs that contain copyrighted material...

So...I guess Nero and Roxio are selling illegal software? I have never heard of such a thing. 

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

ironman said:
letsdance said:

...what does MS having the codec have anything to do with Sony getting the most out of every other company from blu-ray? Do you not understand that even if Sony doesn't have the biggest percentage in royalties they still get more money from every Sony blu-ray player and Sony movie they sell? Every Sony blu-ray disc they sell? No other company sells as much blu-ray stuff as Sony.