By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blue Ray customers screwed over again!! Must Read!

letsdance said:
ironman said:
letsdance said:
Oh sorry Ironman... I wasn't aware MS produces Blu-ray hardware and Software like Sony... In fact... I wasn't aware any company other than sony in the BDA did that... my mistake.

Wow, you really are something else...I have yet to see an argument that has an ounce of fact come out of you. It's really too bad, I was trying to like you...really I was. 

Now, let's see, MS owns the codec that is used in Bluray, they also have some stock in it I believe. I love the fact that every says Bluray is a success because of Sony, while this may be true (they screwed over the gaming dept to do so), Sony could not have helped it along had it not been for the likes of MS and Panasonic.

@ DGC, if you own the DVD, you can legally make backup copies of it. Same with Blu-ray. Same with CD...heck, any form of media you own, you can make copies of legally. Once you start giving the copies away, or even worse, selling them, it become illegal. Oh did I mention, you can lend people your copies.

...what does MS having the codec have anything to do with Sony getting the most out of every other company from blu-ray? Do you not understand that even if Sony doesn't have the biggest percentage in royalties they still get more money from every Sony blu-ray player and Sony movie they sell? Every Sony blu-ray disc they sell? No other company sells as much blu-ray stuff as Sony.

Because for every Sony movie, and every Sony bluray player sold, Sony has to pay royalties to the other companies involved. Also, you act as though Sony is the only one selling bluray players...which is obviously not the case. So, if sony makes money, everybody else does as well, Sony is making no more than they were before with DVDs. Your bias is disgusting.  

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

Around the Network

Oh wow... so let me get this straight... let's say a blu-ray play sells for 10 dollars. And there are 10 companies who get royalties. You think each company gets a dollar? oh wow... yeah... ok.

letsdance said:
Oh wow... so let me get this straight... let's say a blu-ray play sells for 10 dollars. And there are 10 companies who get royalties. You think each company gets a dollar? oh wow... yeah... ok.

Yeah.. that makes .. eh.. sense :D A sony blu ray = no profit because other people are invested in the blu ray format. :DD

ViolentPhlegm said:

Yes.  It's about the ability to copy.

well who cares then? Why is this a big deal. I buy a disc and watch it, I don't copy it.

Yo, ironman. You're getting a bit rusty. I take that back. You're corroded to the core.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Around the Network
ironman said:

Now, let's see, MS owns the codec that is used in Bluray (...)

They own a codec that can be used in blu-ray. I'm not sure how many movies were ever done in the format (VC-1), but since it's more expensive, and not as good as h.264, I doubt it's used much now. Originally it was mostly used because the encode already existed for HD-DVD.

Easy now.. he didn't know what he was talking about. Im sure he feels embarrased enough as it is.

NKAJ said:
wow so we can still watch blu-ray just cant copy it...how big a deal is that?

Lol this..... peoplefind the weirdest thing to whine about latelly....u cant please everyone i guess...... and as a "Blue Ray" customer i dont feel screwd at all... i have no need to copy my blu-ray movies what so ever...

Wasn't the main delay and angst with all this "one copy" issue caused by the US Congress? I also thought one of the reasons behind BD coming later to market was there was some bitch fighting with Hollywood over the protection schemes.

Anyway, this whole thread is basically about the "right" to do one copy and that it may be charged for. It uses an authentication server. So they have to stop the BD films getting ripped and put as Torrent MKV's.

So this has little to do with Sony, little to do with the actual BD technology. It's got everything to so with DRM (integration into BD) and IP law makers.

Hey I am all for a debate on that topic but why the angst against the actual format and the manufacturers, such as Sony?

letsdance said:

Hardly, you are acting like Sony is the only ones selling Bluray players...which is obviously not the case. Also, You forget all about the fact that Sony was just as involved in DVDs, the movie side of things is just that, they are not making any more money on Bluray than they were with DVDs, so that point of yours was completely moot. 

@Mafkka, nice...trolling me again, grow up...seriously.

@CTA, so be it, but the codec is still used, and as I said before, I believe MS actually owns some stock in Bluray. Even still, this is straying far from the OP. MS doesn't have as large a hand in the pot as other companies, but nobody was saying that. I believe Panasonic is the company that stands to make the most money.  

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!