By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blue Ray customers screwed over again!! Must Read!

Ok I just read what @GreyianStorm interpreted the statement. Fair enough. However, so what? Why is this a really bad thing anyway. There are a hell of a lot of companies that have a stake in Blu-ray. There is no denying that Sony is the head of the Lion but because the BD association is so large, it's actually "probably" more distributed, in terms of royalties, than what DVD ever was. Toshiba had the most to gain from DVD. Philips also have a huge stake here. The biggest driver was always Hollywood.

With an ever decreasing revenue stream from DVD and it's total lack of DRM (all cracked), Hollywood needed another format. It was just a question of timing. If it happened about 8 years later, a physical format probably wouldn't be needed but it's a complex thing.

Around the Network

All technology is like this, what you buy today is obselete tommorow. DEAL WITH IT!

PREDICTIONS:
(Predicted on 5/31/11) END of 2011 Sales - Xbox 360 = 62M;  PS3 = 59M;  Wii = 97M

@homeroids

I'm not actually trying to say that I have any idea which companies are earning how much from BD. Sure, I suspect that Sony is probably near the top, but realistically I (and probably everyone else here) have no solid proof for that.
I was just trying to say what I thought letsdance was trying to say, seeing as ironman was disagreeing with him (when I saw a possible way in which the statement could be true). It's possible though, that letsdance just said something stupid that could be interpreted as something clever :D

@GreyianStorm

hehe, yeah it's a confusing thread. I got ya! :)

ech, my head aches... what's even worse, none of this really matters...especially since it has very little to do with the OP and more with fanboys showing up in droves and denouncing Sony where they were praising them before. I find it odd that Letsdance and his ilk are trying to make Sony out to be the biggest contributer, in which case Sony is also the biggest shmuck for imposing harsh DRM to bluray (although Sony has a history of performing such garbage)
So really, I am the one trying to keep Sony from looking as bad, and Letsdance, is making them look worse...kinda reminds me of another thread where I actually was doing Letsdance a favor by trying to help him solidify an argument for a Sony product...once again, he is blind to the reality.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

Around the Network

Has anybody picked up that since someone posted that Blu-ray isnt entirely from Sony that the original poster Bladeforce disappeared? lol always trying to find a way to bash Sony eh Bladeforce, and knowing your history its no surprise. Poor Panasonic thats all i gotta say. They wish we'd talk more about them instead of Sony lol

About the article, this effects almost nobody cause nobody really makes copies of their movies. As long as the original disc plays on any player then thats all thats really needed for it to be done. Thats how its been done since VHS.

GreyianStorm said:
LordChris915 said:
Bladeforce said:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/11/blu-ray-discs-get-managed-copy-hardware-support-nonexistent.ars

Blu-ray discs get Managed Copy, hardware support nonexistent. Yet another reason why blue ray is a crock. I personally am sick and tired of this BS now and just wish BR would disappear. Why all the headache when I just want to watch a freakin movie and they keep moving the goal posts!!

Well since your words will have NO effect on me or anyone else who just sticks a dick in a slot to see what happens, I will take my leave of you, good day.

Typo of the year!

On a serious note: thank god they never came out with new DVD technology either. I love how from day 1, I could copy my DVDs and burn them onto new DVD discs. I loved how I didn't need to buy a special DVD player afterwards if I wanted to do that, or if I wanted to record from the TV onto a hard-drive....oh wait, I did. So were we all screwed over by DVD? In that case, why don't you go back to VHS...oh wait, same again.

Now dont I look the fool.

Its still true though.... :)