By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blue Ray customers screwed over again!! Must Read!

I don't really think the consumer cares, at least the ones that don't sell burnt copies of their movies. Blu-ray sales still go up even though this wasn't dealt with when they came out. And as DVD's have no legal way of copying the content from them and still became a huge hit, I highly doubt this is going to even affect Blu-ray.

Sony is not the only company involved in the BDA. And it was Sony, partnered with Pioneer, who developed the Blu-ray tech. However, as much as people like to assume who owns the largest peice of the pie, no one knows. That info has never been made public. Personally, I would imagine it would be Sony, as they have been pushing the hardest for it and had developed the tech. But again, that's just speculation, as we do not know.

@ ironman. Can you please post some evidence that MS has any part to play in Blu-ray, other than developing one of the codecs that Blu-ray can use. Because I have never found a shred of evidence that they have their hand in the pie. Especially since they backed HD-DVD and have refused to put Blu-ray in the 360.

Around the Network
Soleron said:
DaBuddahN said:
This is exactly the reason why I bought a PS3. PS3 Blu-Ray is future proof... It's called firmware updates. :)

"managed copy apparently can't be added with a mere firmware upgrade."

You'll need a new player. Unless Sony says otherwise in an official statement.

It's called being an early adopter. You lose out.

It is annoying that the format issue was settled, long before the final format configuration was resolved.  If Blu-Ray disks no longer work on older Blu-Ray players, how exactly are these old Blu-Ray players better than HDDVD players?

ironman said:
letsdance said:
ironman said:
I laugh because all of a sudden, Sony fans who were previously praising Sony for the whole Bluray debacle...are now throwing Sony under the bus and finally admitting what many of us have been saying for some time, Sony is not the only one with their hand in the pot.

As to the OP, is anybody really surprised? What's more, does anybody really care? this isn't going to curb piracy.

Did you not read the post below yours that says its just for PC blu-ray drives? Also, I don't think anyone denied that there were other companies involved in blu-ray. However, Sony is THE largest supporter of blu-ray. Every Ps3 has one along with support from their own movie company and PC company. They may not get a bigger % then a couple others but I guarentee they make more money on blu-ray then everyone else.

XD what? since when did I become a mind reader??? How the fuck was I supposed to read something that wasn't posted before I made my post? 

Sorry to hear you think Sony stands to make more money than say Panasonic who has a much bigger piece of the pie, or any of the other companies with their hands in the pot (including MS).

BTW, I don't really care about this whole debacle because it really won't do anything more than piss off the consumer. 

I was about to ask why everybody thought this was a thread to troll Sony...especially since Sony isn't the only company screwing people over in this deal...then I realized this was placed in the Sony forum...WTF It should have gone in offtopic. BAD OP, BAD!

the only people this could affect are those wanting to make copies to resell or those wanting to get pirated copies.

So why exactly should we care about that ?

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

"the studios are worried about people renting a disc, ripping it and then returning it,"

"Another concern we had was the internet connection requirement. The good news is that a connection is only required to make a copy and after that it depends on the output DRM technology used. In fact if the disc has a CCI flag like Copy Freely, no network connection is needed."

"Since typical Blu-ray disc players naturally cannot burn BDs and do not include hard drive for images of discs, initially the managed copy option will only work on personal computers."

"Yes, mandatory managed copy (MMC) will be part of the Blu-ray format. This feature will enable consumers to make legal copies of their Blu-ray movies that can be transferred over a home network. Please note that "mandatory" refers to the movies having to offer this capability, while it will be up to each hardware manufacturer to decide if they want to support this feature."

Video shows the easy and quick way to handle the managed copy. This is only a demo though.

This is a GOOD thing.

/Thread.

there is cloneDVD guys :\
remember they big AES key controversy in 2007?

Around the Network
ironman said:
I laugh because all of a sudden, Sony fans who were previously praising Sony for the whole Bluray debacle...are now throwing Sony under the bus and finally admitting what many of us have been saying for some time, Sony is not the only one with their hand in the pot.

As to the OP, is anybody really surprised? What's more, does anybody really care? this isn't going to curb piracy.

SONY are the one's mainly responsible for the success that BD has seen. That's what the praise was for. It was never about how much stake they have in the BDA... Something like this is should be tied to the major owner of Blu-ray, not the company that brought it's success.

You post is far from the point.  

4 ≈ One

So... they're giving us the option to make 1 back-up of our discs. Any other's we have to pay for?

This is actually a good thing then, since ANY copies of a DVD are illegal. Atleast they give us one free and legal copy to make for ourselves.

4 ≈ One

Oh sorry Ironman... I wasn't aware MS produces Blu-ray hardware and Software like Sony... In fact... I wasn't aware any company other than sony in the BDA did that... my mistake.

Tridrakious said:
Buy a PS3. Problem solved.

Blu-Ray movies, Blu-Ray games, built in wifi, Netflix support, PS1/PS2 BC (depending on system), DVD playback, CD playback, free online, built in web browser, phat models are space heaters, Slims make you enjoy your electric bill more, photo studio built in, trophy support, free Playstation Home, Life with Playstation, etc.

Missing so many more things.

lmao!!!

Everyone needs to play Lost Odyssey! Any opposition to this and I will have to just say, "If it's a fight you want, you got it!"

^ Yup.. but the fail troll post and its accomplice in this thread just read "Blu Ray does this, hardware not available, cost money, no FW fixes" - and thought "Yey! Sounds like its bad for BR and SONY. Take that SONY!" - Post Thread!