By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - I never realized online console gaming was so bad...

Im all for competitive gaming, and on that level, consoles are badly behind PCs. Online gaming via PSN/XBL or Wiiwhateveritscalled, is just public mayhem gaming. Friends on partychat pWnInG n00bZ!

Around the Network
max power said:

I always hear such good things about XBox Live... but I stuck with PC due to preference...

But I never realized how far behind console gaming is until this MW2 debacle.

No dedicated servers on most games?  Local hosts (pardon my french) suck!  Laggy (except for the host), with an unfair advantage to the host, and either the game is interrupted or ended when the host quits?  That's awful...
And the player limits are pretty crappy, too. 

And does anyone else see irony in the PC version of MW2 getting lower ratings than the console versions?  It's the same game with (slightly) better graphics and more control options (you can use a controller, or M/KB).  I guess even PC game reviewers have higher standards for gameplay...

If you think Xbox Live is falling behind, you should see the Wii's online; now that's very far behind.

Either way, Xbox Live can still be fun and games do tend to play well with little lag on it, but I still enjoy my PC gaming more .

max power said:
Smashed said:
You do know not everyone has capable computers to play MW2?

Not everyone has capable consoles to play it either.  What's your point?

If you own a $200 360 or $300 PS3, you can play MW2. Put disc in. Select disc. See logos. Play.

If you own a PC with sufficient hardware specifications, and the latest video drivers, not to mention Windows updates and service packs, you might have a chance of being able to run it with an official Infinity Ward patch, after fiddling with some of the files.

I miss the days when PC gaming was good, and not all about hardware requirements, massive installs and stability patches.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
max power said:
Smashed said:

If you own a $200 360 or $300 PS3, you can play MW2. Put disc in. Select disc. See logos. Play.

If you own a PC with sufficient hardware specifications, and the latest video drivers, not to mention Windows updates and service packs, you might have a chance of being able to run it with an official Infinity Ward patch, after fiddling with some of the files.

I miss the days when PC gaming was good, and not all about hardware requirements, massive installs and stability patches.

Yeah, except you have to do a firmware update and your 360 might RROD on you.  There's really no advantage there.

Oh, and in terms of cost, since most people have a PC anyway, you really only need to spend $150 or $200 on a video card upgrade to get something decent, in addition to most bare bones PC's. 

Kantor said:
max power said:
Smashed said:

Yeah, except you have to do a firmware update and your 360 might RROD on you.  There's really no advantage there.

Oh, and in terms of cost, since most people have a PC anyway, you really only need to spend $150 or $200 on a video card upgrade to get something decent, in addition to most bare bones PC's. 

Around the Network

no cheaters on consoles (well except for that little COD4 on PS3 debacle) that made me move from PC to consoles for MP.

Most of my friends have at least one of the consoles now as well which is a bonus.

Tallgeese101 said:
no cheaters on consoles (well except for that little COD4 on PS3 debacle) that made me move from PC to consoles for MP.

Most of my friends have at least one of the consoles now as well which is a bonus.

Yeah... you're delusional.  I've already seen videos of people cheating on MW2 on 360.  That took what, a week?

Well difference between XBL and PSN is that PSN has dedicated servers so its RARE to ever find lag

mM
max power said:
Tallgeese101 said:

Yeah... you're delusional.  I've already seen videos of people cheating on MW2 on 360.  That took what, a week?

And you seem to have a chip on your shoulder.

max power said:
twesterm said:

The problem with PC is that not everyone who has a PC can play MW2 but everyone with a 360 can play MW2.

The other thing is that while a console game generally just works with no extra messing with the settings, there are endless amounts of things you may or may not have to do to get a PC game to work.

That's usually where the trade off is.

-edit-

And I'm not trying to say consoles or PC's are better, I'm just saying that those reasons along with just less support in general is usually why PC versions score lower.

I play console games too.  I just do most of my online gaming on PC, and never realized there wasn't a similar server browser setup on XBox and Playstation.

I've played a few Wii games online, but people always talk about how awful the Wii online is (friend codes ugh) compared to XBL... but it sounds like XBL isn't much better at all.

I had to quote this - Wii owns LIVE? Oh wow.