By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - I never realized online console gaming was so bad...

I love how A > B turns into B >> A in the minds of people. Either they can't read or they are just trolls.

Around the Network

Things I would like to see before I die:

#1 A thread without the term "RROD" in it. Just once. It can't be EVERY argument. There are many other things that the 360 doesn't do well. D-pad anyone?

madskillz said:
max power said:
twesterm said:

The problem with PC is that not everyone who has a PC can play MW2 but everyone with a 360 can play MW2.

The other thing is that while a console game generally just works with no extra messing with the settings, there are endless amounts of things you may or may not have to do to get a PC game to work.

That's usually where the trade off is.

-edit-

And I'm not trying to say consoles or PC's are better, I'm just saying that those reasons along with just less support in general is usually why PC versions score lower.

I play console games too.  I just do most of my online gaming on PC, and never realized there wasn't a similar server browser setup on XBox and Playstation.

I've played a few Wii games online, but people always talk about how awful the Wii online is (friend codes ugh) compared to XBL... but it sounds like XBL isn't much better at all.

I had to quote this - Wii owns LIVE? Oh wow.

well you can say that PC online is as much better than the 360 online than the 360 is to the wii.  

and not everyone being able to play the game on pc means jack shit.  that has nothing to do with this discussion.  when comparing things you don't compare it with teh worst possible computer playing on 56k and lowest possible settings or not even compatitable.  you have to compare it to what most have cable internet/dsl, and with a computer that is capable and won't lag due to computer problems.    Otherwise your just picking and choosing, like hey lets compare it then to a RROD'ed 360, then that's fair.  

some peopel get so defensive over their precious console and try and bash the pc then.  Fine your pc can't play a game, who cares.  But you can't bash a computer game and being shitty because you can't play it.  You guys are picky over the smallest little graphics, or half second load time between the 360 and ps3, yet then you automatically say that no one has a computer to play those games, becasue too high, or they can't play on max.  seriously, shut up.   The people who have pc games and are tlaking about them obviously do and if you can lip off about your extra pixels or shading, why shoudlnt' they be able to gloat in your face how much better theirs is.  

and is kind of funny how reviewers are picky over what they dock.  they bash wii games as having inferior online comparing to the hd twins, yet the hd twins online isn't ever compared to the superior pc online.  why not, why the double standard?  Wii games are compared to hd twins graphics (when game on all 3(4)) yet the hd games aren't compared to max graphics on PC?  Or DS grahpics compared to PSP sometimes.  

I mean hell how come only graphics are compared, and seems only to diss their non-hardcore systems.  Reviews should never be comparing things ever.  The game should be reviewed for what it is.  not what it doesn't have, or what a different console does compared to this.  

Us gamers are lucky that our industry is being reviewed and all that by gamers who love gaming, many industries people lose their love and its just a job.  But we are the least lucky in that we are plagued with our greatest fault in the FANBOY.  you don't see movie critics bashing great movies like Titanic or Notebook or other's because they aren't manly, or hardcore, or their type of movie.  they review it for what it is, not what they want.

uggh we get it PC gaming is sooooooooo amazing. So....how much did your rig cost? $1500? $2000? Even higher?

I would expect on a machine that costed 4 figures ($1000+) that the online gaming would be better then a system that costs $299. Oh and the 7 million people who bought MW2 on day one for PS360 don't seem to mind.

Chairman-Mao said:
uggh we get it PC gaming is sooooooooo amazing. So....how much did your rig cost? $1500? $2000? Even higher?

I would expect on a machine that costed 4 figures ($1000+) that the online gaming would be better then a system that costs $299. Oh and the 7 million people who bought MW2 on day one for PS360 don't seem to mind.

My rig cost about $600. 

If I bought an XBox for $300, paid $50 for XBL for 4 years, and bought 10 games for $10 cheaper, it will have paid for itself over the XBox. 

However it's not all about cost, I bought the PC because I prefer to play FPS and RTS on PC. 

And I do believe I saw on this forum, someone build a $350 that could out-do the PS360 (which at the time was cheaper than the cheapest ($400) PS3. 

Cost is really a non-starter.

Around the Network
madskillz said:
max power said:
twesterm said:

The problem with PC is that not everyone who has a PC can play MW2 but everyone with a 360 can play MW2.

The other thing is that while a console game generally just works with no extra messing with the settings, there are endless amounts of things you may or may not have to do to get a PC game to work.

That's usually where the trade off is.

-edit-

And I'm not trying to say consoles or PC's are better, I'm just saying that those reasons along with just less support in general is usually why PC versions score lower.

I play console games too.  I just do most of my online gaming on PC, and never realized there wasn't a similar server browser setup on XBox and Playstation.

I've played a few Wii games online, but people always talk about how awful the Wii online is (friend codes ugh) compared to XBL... but it sounds like XBL isn't much better at all.

I had to quote this - Wii owns LIVE? Oh wow.

Uhh... that's not what I said at all.  In fact, it's almost the opposite of what I said.  Please use some reading comprehension. 

mirgro said:
I love how A > B turns into B >> A in the minds of people. Either they can't read or they are just trolls.

Thank you!!!

kowenicki said:
@maxpower

to say xbox online isnt much better than wii online is completely a personal thing and thus I won't disparage you for it

Fixed it for you

The fact is, live has some advantages over the Wii's online, and the Wii has advantages over live. One such example is that on the Wii, you don't have to put up with people swearing like sailors if you just want a relaxing game. Another advantage is that it works wirelessly out of the box.

If you judge the ease of use and additional features of live more important than these, then good for you. But don't try to tell people their opinion is ludicrous.

btw, that is not to say I do think the Wii's system is better, I agree that having 1 friend code for use in all Wii games makes more sense than the current system

I think its really sad that FPS games, which have always been PC territory are being "consoleified", I never took FPS games on consoles seriously because I feel they're inferior in every single way.
If things keep going this way, an entire genre will be dumbed down and ruined for me. RTS and RPG's with isometric view are next on the block (for beheading)...
Maybe its childish of me but I find it really sad that things are going this way, I usually play mostly fighter, racing and platform games on consoles and the odd JRPG.

Will somebody please explain "dumbed-down" in regards to console FPS's? I'm not trying to start something, it's just that a lot of people throw it out there as this horrible thing, but I've never heard what it means. I wanna be mad too!

I believe PC gamers lament the lack of
keyboard + mouse controls
The ability to mod the game
Dedicated servers
Customisability of controls, graphics etc
Worse graphics
Lower costs of hardware mean anyone can be an FPS gamer

They refer to all of these as dumbing the game down because it makes them sound intelligent for their gaming choices...