By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bioware vs. Bethesda! Place your votes!

outlawauron said:
noname2200 said:
Slimebeast said:

Some people don't seem to understand Bethesda's vision. Their idea is to make RPGs where you have a huge world and tons of stuff to do, it's all about the freedom. Bethesda games are the opposite of linear games like Bioware games.

Instead many people perceive Bethesda as they would be somehow weaker at game craftmanship just because their games don't have as focused storytelling. But it's a misunderstanding of what they wanna do. Also, if you make open world games it's impossible to make them as 'tight' and bug-free as linear games (something that Bethesda gets so much unfair criticism for).

Reviewers get this thankfully. Else Bethesda wouldn't be able to outscore Bioware at Gamerankings and Metacritic reviews (not using that as an argument that Bethesda is better than Bioware though as their average scores are very close around ~90%).

While there are certainly some who prefer Bioware for their tighter and more linear story, I'd venture a guess that Bethesda's bugginess probably...bugs...a lot of people too.

And for the record, pleeeease don't ever refer to Metacritic of Gamerankings result ever again. Every time you do, a Super Mario becomes a regular Mario. True story!

Bioware's recent titles has just as many if not more bugs than Bethesda games.

Sorry but that's just complete BS lol. Mass Effect it's true does not run well on 360 at all, but it's not buggy, just trying to do more than the system can handle. The code was ported straight over, barely altered, to PC and it runs perfect. Dragon Age's bugs are minor at best, and few and far between (PC version). There is no Bethesda game that's not full of bugs.

Around the Network

Fallout 3 alone is better than all games Bioware has ever made combined. I adore Fallout 3, but most of Biowares games are really overrated, imo. Especially Mass Effect ... yuck!

Bioware!!!!!!!

~Currently Playing Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank: FTOD, and Resistance: Retribution~

aragod said:
jmcoo7 said:
Have to say Bethesda for me , just started replaying Fallout 3 on my 360 and have to say im as hooked as i was first time round , on the other hand gave up with Dragons Age very poor imho .

You sir have no taste... imho

That sir is a matter of opinion i was playing video games when you were still in nappies m8 so knowledge and experience wise i think ive earned that right to have my say and frankly the xbox 360 version of dragon age is absolutely woefull , as per the eurogamer review at first i took issue with that review but in the end it was spot on . Now on the pc im not so sure about that havent played it on pc yet . Oh and by the way Fallout 3 was voted game of the year in UK by 1.3m voters .

Proud owner of Ps4/3ds xl/pc/vita/wii u and others.

Gamer till I die

Mise said:
Slimebeast said:

Instead many people perceive Bethesda as they would be somehow weaker at game craftmanship just because their games don't have as focused storytelling. But it's a misunderstanding of what they wanna do. Also, if you make open world games it's impossible to make them as 'tight' and bug-free as linear games (something that Bethesda gets so much unfair criticism for).

One of my bigger issues with Bethesda's games is a very common pitfall that most open-world games fall into - outside the primary quest and some of the bigger side quests, nothing you do either is (or feels like) worth doing.

For example, in Oblivion, you can be the champion of Cyrodiil, the Arch-mage of the mages guild, leader of the Dark Brotherhood and the master of the Fighter's guild - at the same time, no less - and outside of a certain statue and some random comments, nobody either notices or gives a damn. Hell, you can be the god of madness on top of those, and all you get is a summoning spell.

And while games like Shadows of Amn don't have an open world and are more restrictive in terms of exploration, I consider most of their (side)quests better simply because it feels like you're doing something that actually matters beyond loot and EXP - even though it might be the same thing you've done on five other playthrus.

Honestly, having hundreds of sidequests is irrelevant to me, if none of them are actually interesting and/or somehow significant outside magical phallic objects and grinding.

Quantity doesn't really have a quality of it's own in RPGs, methinks.

Yes, I wish too that not all side quests would be independent of the main quest and the state/fate of the world, but side quests also have their charm - there's a satisfaction in completing a quest. You could see it as a form of mini game lol.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:

Yes, I wish too that not all side quests would be independent of the main quest and the state/fate of the world, but side quests also have their charm - there's a satisfaction in completing a quest. You could see it as a form of mini game lol.

Let's just say that after clearing most of the sidequests in Oblivion and Mass Effect(worse than Oblivion in this case), I want something more than just an extra level, a new gun and a bland string on my quest log. :p

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

jmcoo7 said:
aragod said:
jmcoo7 said:
Have to say Bethesda for me , just started replaying Fallout 3 on my 360 and have to say im as hooked as i was first time round , on the other hand gave up with Dragons Age very poor imho .

You sir have no taste... imho

That sir is a matter of opinion i was playing video games when you were still in nappies m8 so knowledge and experience wise i think ive earned that right to have my say and frankly the xbox 360 version of dragon age is absolutely woefull , as per the eurogamer review at first i took issue with that review but in the end it was spot on . Now on the pc im not so sure about that havent played it on pc yet . Oh and by the way Fallout 3 was voted game of the year in UK by 1.3m voters .

You can't really blame Bioware for Dragon Age on consoles. They had already almost completed the PC version when they were bought by EA and forced to make a port. The game was not designed to run on consoles, and it's not their fault that they were told to make it work on it. There's a certain point of no return in game design where you've already created too many features specific to the platform to port it right.

What you're doing is sorta like going into a restaraunt and complaining your veggie burger doesn't taste like your wife's filet mignon. Yes, they were both made in the same restaraunt, but no matter what you do to a veggie burger it's not gonna be great steak.

Bioware, It's not even close to me. Even when I find a Bioware title disappointing, Jade Empire, It's still a very good game. Bethesda games seem to lack soul. Oblivion bored me to tears. One of my biggest disappointments of this generation.

I would've voted bethesda because i've never played a game from Bioware

Bioware... cuz of Mass Effect & Dragon Age))