By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I honestly think Sony's Wand is a bigger threat to Nintendo than Natal

I think this is pretty typical of what core gamers think of Natal and motion controls in general. :)

Warning: Strong Language

If you don't know this guy, he is slightly pro-Sony, he is the self proclaimed president of The Trey (PS3) Brotherhood after all, wonder what he thinks about the Wand, probably will dismiss it ^^ like he dismisses the Wii.

Around the Network
scruffybunny said:

I think this is pretty typical of what core gamers think of Natal and motion controls in general. :)

Warning: Strong Language

If you don't know this guy, he is slightly pro-Sony, he is the self proclaimed president of The Trey (PS3) Brotherhood after all, wonder what he thinks about the Wand, probably will dismiss it ^^ like he dismisses the Wii.

I also think this is a good example of the stereotype associated to core gamers that Nintendo tried to break in order to effectively market to new audiences.

If Wii game sales have taught us anything, its that 'casuals' eat up brand name products. Nintendo and Wii have grown to surpase any of the impact the PlayStation brand has now, so its only reasonable to assume that the most popular product will sell the most.

Wii has a 25million lead.

Voltaire said:
If Wii game sales have taught us anything, its that 'casuals' eat up brand name products. Nintendo and Wii have grown to surpase any of the impact the PlayStation brand has now, so its only reasonable to assume that the most popular product will sell the most.

Wii has a 25million lead.

A lot of wii success especially from the beginning is due to the huge cost of PS3 and X360. I know less and less people who only has Wii since both HD systems beginning to sale at $300. Our wii does nothing but collect dusk even though I've tried to encourage a game from time to time.

What HD consoles has taught us $300 is the limit when it comes to a consoles  huge success.

The OP kinda missed the point, the Wii did not sell because the hardcore got behind it, it sold for the reasons every other high selling console in history has sold

It targeted the broadest market
It offered the most desireable games
It was well advertised, as were its games
It was an an acceptable price.

The PSwand is getting very close to release, and the only game of note is RE5:AE. Are you saying that this will infact be the game to destroy the Wii? I thought we gave up on that claim when MK:Wii spanked GTA4

Around the Network

About The OP Post

The post and his following posts have displayed one integral flaw. They all come from a top down approach. Elite/Enthusiast, Higher Tech as his core base for his posting. However that's not how Nintendo, Sony, WoTC, TSR, MS became the top dogs of their respective areas.

Sony didn't become an electronics giant because they produced the BEST tech. They became a top dog because they produced portable radios and walkmans which were ridiculed by the Elite and were technologically substandard as to the quality of the higher up companies.

WoTC didn't become a major RPG/Games company(non electronic) by making a better D&D. They expanded and became big because they created a cheap to get into, easy to play card game that didn't focus on the Elite but to common people. What happened. They disrupted the industry and BOUGHT their competitor.

MS DOS and Windows 1. weren't better than Apple software. It was cheaper, non priority and released earlier and was good enough.

TSR didn't become a big RPG company by continuting to support ChainMail. They ripped Chain Mail apart to create Dungeons and Dragons. They DIDN"T focus on the elite. They made a game that didn't need miniutures, but still usable thus opening the doors to more players.

All of these companies have a few things in common. The Elite ridiculed and had no interest in these different broader market items. This by no means that proves that CORE SUPPORT IS A LEADING FACTOR. It proves more that if you market a broad product to the mass and the core market ridicules it for it's mass appeal, your doing something right.

The OP needs to stop talking out of his butt. BEcause it's far to clear that he has no idea about consumer consumption and lives in fantasy Elite land.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

1. Marketing - Wii Sold due to this, marketing is a promise and people liked that promise.

Nintendo has argued to Iwata and Reggie were blue in the face that these people were non-consumers before hand. Non-Consumers mean's they don't buy games it does not mean they never bought games.

Marketing is about educating the consumer about the job of that product, that's all, the notion that every marioboy or zeldagirl went out and told mom and dad to get Wiifit so they don't die so soon is preposterous.

2. People did not buy the Wii because it was made by Nintendo, they bought it because Mario, Zelda and so on would be on it more so what their purchase rightous because of the PROMISE of new gameplay which is Nintendo's forte, everyone knows Nintendo is all about gameplay since Mario 64, heck Star Fox FX.

Nintendo failed to deliver on that promise, but that's NOT the only promise nintendo made, and right now with the Wand Sony is only seeing that one promise and even then only 1 part of that promise.

In otherwords the Wands biggest blame for failure should it would be on the shoulders of Sony for seeing the Wii's success so 1 dimensionally. Sony just doesn't have the type of back catalog it will need, maybe from the PSX days yes... but not PS2, why would someone want to play a PS2 game when you can play them in HD now, well most of the high attach rate ones.

Sony can get it right though and one thing I like about them is when they do get it right, they get it hell of right.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

The core nintendo gamer is different from the core sony gamer and the core microsoft gamer.

Show me evidence that at the time of the wii launch, when zelda lead in sales, that the core nintendo fan was not pushing their product to others.

No, I'm right, you are wrong.  Natal will fail because it doesn't have what Nintendo did - a design for a broad market but a reliable market to start with.

Also the core sony gamer gets the ps3 for games. His friend down the street may say "look at this, it can play blu-rays too." It's idiotic to say that the market can be segmented and that both segments have nothing to do with each other.

I think you are misinterpreting blue ocean strategy and exaggerating it.  A snowball that becomes giant rolling down the mountain doesn't start out of thin air.  It starts out of a smaller snowball.  You can't go blue ocean without having a place to start.

A successful launch is important.  It is arrogant and disingenuous to say that Nintendo's loyal fans did not contribute to the successful launch of the console.  It is doubly arrogant to say that Natal can launch into a blue ocean without having a place to start.  

While the wii simultaneously pleased the core and casual, NATAL will never please the casual because it can't please the core.  Mark my words.

I never said that I think Sony will pass Nintendo, even with its 10 year plan, but it is the bigger threat for a number of reasons over Microsoft.

SONY's wand will help both PS3 and Wii because it will be seen as a viable why to port Wii games to PS3.

Imagine Madworld, No More Heroes or Dead Space: Extraction on PS3 with controls optimized for SONY's PS3 wand (though if the developers are smart they will support DS3 controllers aswell).

Or think about developers adding in PS3 wand support as a test to see if its worth porting games to the Wii!

NATAL on the other hand will require developers going out of their way to support a control scheme only used on 1 platform. Sure some games will take advantage of it, but i doubt 3rd party publishers/developers will optimize games around it as it simply makes porting the game to PS3/Wii harder.