By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I honestly think Sony's Wand is a bigger threat to Nintendo than Natal

peachbuggy said:
jarrod said:
peachbuggy said:
Devs may well sing a device's praises but in reality the suits in the company may well be singing a very different tune. I suspect a lot of publishers are being run by accountants in these harsh times and i think they will see developing games for these input devices with an install base as 0 being a bit of a risk.

I'd say this applies doubly to the PSmote though.  Natal's at least being framed around what's basically a platform relaunch from everything we've heard, PSmote's being positioned as superfluous and it's support so far (RE5 warmed over and some downloadables, talk of crusty Wii ports) reflects that.

Hard to say, really. On the one hand you could say it will work in favour of the Wand, given its similarities to the Wii mote. On the other hand your point is relevant too. I guess time will tell.

Sure.  And don't get me wrong, I'm not super confident in Natal either, I think it's very much a gamble itself and there's much room for failure there.  But Natal at least seems to have some energy and buzz behind it already, I can't say the same for Swand, and it's launching this spring rather than next holiday...

Also, looking at motion dependent 3rd party Wii games, I have to wonder what there is to really draw PSmote buyers? Boom Blox? Dead Space Extraction? Zack & Wiki? Monkey Ball? We Cheer? Elebits? Are these sorts of games *really* going to push sales?

Around the Network

woops sorry jarrod I posted something funny but forgot to press enter before I moved on... the witt has left me and I wont dare try.

In a not so funny way though I'll say, dual shock isn't the only thing and sony isn't the only one, the success in using these copied ideas is not rare or unique.

In fact they probably work more often than new things. (VB and so on XD)

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

jarrod said:
peachbuggy said:
jarrod said:
peachbuggy said:
Devs may well sing a device's praises but in reality the suits in the company may well be singing a very different tune. I suspect a lot of publishers are being run by accountants in these harsh times and i think they will see developing games for these input devices with an install base as 0 being a bit of a risk.

I'd say this applies doubly to the PSmote though.  Natal's at least being framed around what's basically a platform relaunch from everything we've heard, PSmote's being positioned as superfluous and it's support so far (RE5 warmed over and some downloadables, talk of crusty Wii ports) reflects that.

Hard to say, really. On the one hand you could say it will work in favour of the Wand, given its similarities to the Wii mote. On the other hand your point is relevant too. I guess time will tell.

Sure.  And don't get me wrong, I'm not super confident in Natal either, I think it's very much a gamble itself and there's much room for failure there.  But Natal at least seems to have some energy and buzz behind it already, I can't say the same for Swand, and it's launching this spring rather than next holiday...

Also, looking at motion dependent 3rd party Wii games, I have to wonder what there is to really draw PSmote buyers? Boom Blox? Dead Space Extraction? Zack & Wiki? Monkey Ball? We Cheer? Elebits? Are these sorts of games *really* going to push sales?

The big question is whether the PS3 motion controller can adequately handle the direct pointing that is done in Wiimote games, or if the PS3 motion controller is well suited to the more complicated Wii games that require a Wiimote and Nunchuck.

HappySqurriel said:
jarrod said:
peachbuggy said:
jarrod said:
peachbuggy said:

The big question is whether the PS3 motion controller can adequately handle the direct pointing that is done in Wiimote games, or if the PS3 motion controller is well suited to the more complicated Wii games that require a Wiimote and Nunchuck.

I think the shoehorned DS3+PSmote setup will work for Wiimote+nunchuck most often, even if it's not ideal.  I think where the PSmote falls would be in copying IR games... it's tracking is more precise, but far slower than IR and you could even already see it in the RE5 demo (whose cursor was appreciably slower than RE4 Wii).  Fast paced gun games (Ghost Squad, HOTD, RE Chronicles, Dead Space E, etc) may not even work on the PSmote in function... though PS3 does still have that virtually unused Gun.com 3 for that sort of stuff if anyone wants to port.

jarrod said:

I think the shoehorned DS3+PSmote setup will work for Wiimote+nunchuck most often, even if it's not ideal.  I think where the PSmote falls would be in copying IR games... it's tracking is more precise, but far slower than IR and you could even already see it in the RE5 demo (whose cursor was appreciably slower than RE4 Wii).  Fast paced gun games (Ghost Squad, HOTD, RE Chronicles, Dead Space E, etc) may not even work on the PSmote in function... though PS3 does still have that virtually unused Gun.com 3 for that sort of stuff if anyone wants to port.

Was the cursor slower on purpose as the same way you can adjust mouse pointer speed on the PC?   With a stationary camera it easier to adjust the cursor speed vs hand movement more than move the camera itself as in the wii-mote. I can do the exact same thing with TrackIR used as a mouse emulator. With a slower cursor you can be more precise with your aiming. Also with more precise controls you don't need any aiming-aid that you find in console's FPS.
 Also greater the resolution the bigger the viewing area is , thus more ground to cover.

Around the Network

The question is in the end software.

Sony has to convince everyone who bought and still owns their games that their games would be better with motion control.

These games weren't designed for motion control, they were designed to push the next game, narrative, or HD.

First 2 games to utilize the new PS Wand?

A re-release of HSG 5 with motion and an Ape Escape party game.

Ape Escape should work, adding multiplayer is smart.