By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales (11/2 – 11/8)

jarrod said:
outlawauron said:
The best about this argument is that you keep saying things with nothing to back it up and outright lying with saying that Valkyria had a huge promotional budget and more BS.

Naw, the best part in the inherent hypocrisy in this sort of criticism.  What's you're essentially saying here is "you're not proving it's a failure, that means it's a success".  That's what we call a strawman, if I'm getting your position wrong, I apologize in advance.

I'm arguing reasonable likelihoods and reading from what Sega's actually done (example: abandon PS3 for the sequel), meanwhile people seem to keep mindlessly chanting "SRPGs don't sell" or "SRPGs are cheap" in some sort of underhanded defense, devoid of any real context.  Or more laughable, comparing worldwide sales (including budget pricedrops and reissues) to confirmed JP-only Sega successes like Yakuza 3.  It's disingenous, sleazy rationalization, and it doesn't hold under any any real scruitny.

And I'm arguing probable budget and rough expectation from (1) the game itself and (2) the coverage. Famitsu's little more than a PR mouthpiece, and Valkyria got more coverage there than any console RPG this gen has outside MH3 and FFXIII.  It's in-store advertising rivaled the Yakuza games, it got a co-funded anime.  It's a gorgeous HD game, loaded with quality voice-acting, a complex ground up shading engine, and decent sized development staff. This wasn't a low budget effort by any reasonable stretch.  The RPG I think it's most comparable to it this gen is probably Tales of Vesperia actually (similar scope, similar promotion, also HD and effects heavy, subsequent anime), it's easily an upper mid-line RPG budget wise (not much outsourced CG, not a big western push), and well ahead of anything we've ever seen for a SRPG before.

And that's the last I'm saying for Valkyria in this thread.  Have fun.

No, my stance is not that. I think Valkyria Chronicles was a success based on what little we had. If it was as vanilla as sales expectations or shipment forcast, then we'd some absolutes to work with. Alas, we do not. They've said they've been happy with their sales, and they went out on a limb to expand the brand. The anime wasn't in the works all along, as they waited to see if the game was popular enough. It was.

As far as advertising, I'm not sure what you were looking as I'd count four 360 JRPGs that got far more coverage than Valkyria Chronicles. (Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Star Ocean IV, and Tales of Vesperia).

Also, the graphics are quite basic. Remove the shaders and it really doesn't look at that impressive. Technically, the graphics are not impressive, but it's the beautiful art style that's amazing.

Lastly, I'll say this. SRPGs do not sell well and they are predominantly cheap to develop. That is a fact backed by the nature of the market and genre. I don't understand how you think it's ok to compare to games released over 10 years ago, yet be a relevant comparison or expectation.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
jarrod said:
outlawauron said:
The best about this argument is that you keep saying things with nothing to back it up and outright lying with saying that Valkyria had a huge promotional budget and more BS.

Naw, the best part in the inherent hypocrisy in this sort of criticism.  What's you're essentially saying here is "you're not proving it's a failure, that means it's a success".  That's what we call a strawman, if I'm getting your position wrong, I apologize in advance.

I'm arguing reasonable likelihoods and reading from what Sega's actually done (example: abandon PS3 for the sequel), meanwhile people seem to keep mindlessly chanting "SRPGs don't sell" or "SRPGs are cheap" in some sort of underhanded defense, devoid of any real context.  Or more laughable, comparing worldwide sales (including budget pricedrops and reissues) to confirmed JP-only Sega successes like Yakuza 3.  It's disingenous, sleazy rationalization, and it doesn't hold under any any real scruitny.

And I'm arguing probable budget and rough expectation from (1) the game itself and (2) the coverage. Famitsu's little more than a PR mouthpiece, and Valkyria got more coverage there than any console RPG this gen has outside MH3 and FFXIII.  It's in-store advertising rivaled the Yakuza games, it got a co-funded anime.  It's a gorgeous HD game, loaded with quality voice-acting, a complex ground up shading engine, and decent sized development staff. This wasn't a low budget effort by any reasonable stretch.  The RPG I think it's most comparable to it this gen is probably Tales of Vesperia actually (similar scope, similar promotion, also HD and effects heavy, subsequent anime), it's easily an upper mid-line RPG budget wise (not much outsourced CG, not a big western push), and well ahead of anything we've ever seen for a SRPG before.

And that's the last I'm saying for Valkyria in this thread.  Have fun.

No, my stance is not that. I think Valkyria Chronicles was a success based on what little we had. If it was as vanilla as sales expectations or shipment forcast, then we'd some absolutes to work with. Alas, we do not. They've said they've been happy with their sales, and they went out on a limb to expand the brand. The anime wasn't in the works all along, as they waited to see if the game was popular enough. It was.

As far as advertising, I'm not sure what you were looking as I'd count four 360 JRPGs that got far more coverage than Valkyria Chronicles. (Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Star Ocean IV, and Tales of Vesperia).

Also, the graphics are quite basic. Remove the shaders and it really doesn't look at that impressive. Technically, the graphics are not impressive, but it's the beautiful art style that's amazing.

Lastly, I'll say this. SRPGs do not sell well and they are predominantly cheap to develop. That is a fact backed by the nature of the market and genre. I don't understand how you think it's ok to compare to games released over 10 years ago, yet be a relevant comparison or expectation.

I'm not sure what Famistu you're reading, but Valkyria was still getting coverage as late as this past summer.  That's over a year from release, and that's nearly unheard of outside the big 3 (FF, DQ, MH).  That alone speaks to it's promotional push if you have any idea how Famitsu works.

I should also point out that art's the most expensive element of game design these days, and chiefly why HD budgets have blown up so dramatically.  It's not the tech that makes HD games expensive, it the 720p+ assets.

And are you really trotting out the "SRPGs are cheap" and "SRPGs don't sell" excuse after what I just said?  Really? lol.

Soriku said:
jarrod said:
okay, now I lied. I'm still talking about Valkyria damnit. :/
Soriku said:
VC made money, that much is obvious. Otherwise Sega wouldn't have said they were happy with sales...

They moved VC2 to PSP for Japan sales obviously. I'd say they want it to be another Sakura Taisen for them. The consequence is that the Western sales might be negligable...

I'm not aware Sega said they were happy with sales, at least initially?  It certainly hasn't been highlighted in their IR or come from any of their PR.  I do think it's probably crawled to "acceptable" levels though, and I think I remember a developer quote to that effect when the VC2 bomb hit?

I agree though, Sakura Tasien is probably more what they're shooting for with the IP (Japanese PR really pushed the team's connection here too btw), which is why PSP makes sense.  I think it's a little shortsighted though, they'd have been better served going with Wii or HD multi from a worldwide perspective.

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2009/04/20/valkyria-chronicles-sales-jump-in-the-us-tops-charts-in-japan/

They were pretty happy here. I agree from a WW perspective that PSP isn't the best choice but maybe they don't really care for whatever reason :P

I find this quote from the article pretty enlightening...

"Valkyria sales are often spoken of in the same sentence as “unfortunate” and “should have been better”"

53k psp sales combined

49.9k dsi dsl 360 ps2 combined

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

jarrod said:
Soriku said:
jarrod said:
okay, now I lied. I'm still talking about Valkyria damnit. :/
Soriku said:
VC made money, that much is obvious. Otherwise Sega wouldn't have said they were happy with sales...

They moved VC2 to PSP for Japan sales obviously. I'd say they want it to be another Sakura Taisen for them. The consequence is that the Western sales might be negligable...

I'm not aware Sega said they were happy with sales, at least initially?  It certainly hasn't been highlighted in their IR or come from any of their PR.  I do think it's probably crawled to "acceptable" levels though, and I think I remember a developer quote to that effect when the VC2 bomb hit?

I agree though, Sakura Tasien is probably more what they're shooting for with the IP (Japanese PR really pushed the team's connection here too btw), which is why PSP makes sense.  I think it's a little shortsighted though, they'd have been better served going with Wii or HD multi from a worldwide perspective.

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2009/04/20/valkyria-chronicles-sales-jump-in-the-us-tops-charts-in-japan/

They were pretty happy here. I agree from a WW perspective that PSP isn't the best choice but maybe they don't really care for whatever reason :P

I find this quote from the article pretty enlightening...

"Valkyria sales are often spoken of in the same sentence as “unfortunate” and “should have been better”"

The person who wrote that quote is actually a member here and has posted a decent amount. I specifically asked about the expectations about 2 months after release. He said that he wished it sold better being that it's such an awesome game, but that he had not idea what Sega or the sales team expected from it.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

PS3 48,925
DSi 37,421
PSP 33,784
Wii 31,810
PSP go 13,992
DS Lite 5,515
Xbox 360 4,679
PS2 2,066

Media Create numbers. Very weird the differences this week, but hot damn look at the PS3!
From GAF.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Ah, thanks psrock.

I'm liking the Media Create numbers, higher all around (except PSP).

The Wii difference is massive, though. From 24k to 31.8k is a 32.5% difference. Odd.

(edit) Last week's MC:

DSi – 37,517
PS3 – 36,061
PSP – 34,911
PSP go – 29,109
Wii – 28,888
DS Lite – 6,902
Xbox 360 – 6,047
PS2 – 1,966

c0rd said:

Ah, thanks psrock.

I'm liking the Media Create numbers, higher all around (except PSP).

The Wii difference is massive, though. From 24k to 31.8k is a 32.5% difference. Odd.

(edit) Last week's MC:

DSi – 37,517
PS3 – 36,061
PSP – 34,911
PSP go – 29,109
Wii – 28,888
DS Lite – 6,902
Xbox 360 – 6,047
PS2 – 1,966

and the sale dropped according to Famitsu but increased according to MC. interesting.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Edouble24 posted this in the Japan Wii 10M / PS3 5M thread

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=87346&page=1

Dengeki numbers for Nov. 2 - 8:

Hardware | This Week | Last Week | YTD | LTD
------------------------------------------------------------
NDS | 45,473 | 41,741 | 3,050,006 | 28,028,097
PSP | 50,250 | 58,951 | 1,787,832 | 12,937,150
Wii | 29,002 | 26,250 | 1,214,638 | 8,797,681
PS3 | 54,985 | 37,028 | 1,171,884 | 3,874,027
X360 | 4,998 | 5,121 | 314,896 | 1,166,079
PS2 | 1,975 | 1,910 | 1,939 |
------------------------------------------------------------