By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales (11/2 – 11/8)

jarrod said:
Torillian said:
VC2 going to PSP could be for a plethora of reasons, it is not proof that the first didn't make money. I have a hard time believing that the game got 570k sales and still hasn't earned Sega a cent.

I'm not arguing profitability, just likely expectations.  And then, I think it's likely localized to Japan, I doubt Sega expected much in the west (they clearly don't with the sequel).  In Japan though, this was hearalded as a AAA game, from the Sakura Taisen team, with a huge promotional push and even Famitsu coverage for months after it released.   They probably expected Japanese sales more in line with the main Sakura Taisen games (~300-600k, pre-budget).

This is all pretty OT though, we should keep the discussion centered on this week's sales.

I think you dont know what expectations were and i think you are pulling numbers from your ass.

Around the Network
Serious_frusting said:
PS3 and PSP beat total DS sales this week

I have a feeling a new model of DS will be released soon

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

letsdance said:
jarrod said:
Torillian said:
VC2 going to PSP could be for a plethora of reasons, it is not proof that the first didn't make money. I have a hard time believing that the game got 570k sales and still hasn't earned Sega a cent.

I'm not arguing profitability, just likely expectations.  And then, I think it's likely localized to Japan, I doubt Sega expected much in the west (they clearly don't with the sequel).  In Japan though, this was hearalded as a AAA game, from the Sakura Taisen team, with a huge promotional push and even Famitsu coverage for months after it released.   They probably expected Japanese sales more in line with the main Sakura Taisen games (~300-600k, pre-budget).

This is all pretty OT though, we should keep the discussion centered on this week's sales.

I think you dont know what expectations were and i think you are pulling numbers from your ass.

You also think PSP go wasn't a flop because it was undershipped (lol) and sold to only the phantom demographic it was intended for anyway.  Hey wait, this feels familiar...

jarrod said:
Torillian said:

well psp has almost 4 times the install base of the ps3 in Japan.

Psp has a very good following and already has some great jrpgs. Additionally, people in Japan prefer handhelds to consoles in JP.

It will be cheaper to produce a game on the psp rather than on the ps3.

It's a good move, especially if the game is already very similar to the ps3 version.

theprof00 said:
jarrod said:
Torillian said:

well psp has almost 4 times the install base of the ps3 in Japan.

Psp has a very good following and already has some great jrpgs. Additionally, people in Japan prefer handhelds to consoles in JP.

It will be cheaper to produce a game on the psp rather than on the ps3.

It's a good move, especially if the game is already very similar to the ps3 version.

I agree, I think PSP's definitely the right move, at least for Japan.   

Around the Network
jarrod said:
letsdance said:
jarrod said:
Torillian said:

You also think PSP go wasn't a flop because it was undershipped (lol) and sold to only the phantom demographic it was intended for anyway.  Hey wait, this feels familiar...

and you think sony wont make another shipment for the go this year even though they already sold 1/3rd of it in 2 weeks with the holiday sals go full force in another 2 weeks. I didn't say it was undershipped I said if there was something wrong with the shipments it would be undershipped.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
People are waiting for the DSi LL in Japan

And I don't understand why! It's a version made just for old people, I don't understand why about half of the week DS buyers would wait for the new version...but thet's the only explanation to DS sales, some weeks ago were near 70k, and there's still big software released week by week. I think at this point the week DSi LL launches in Japan total DS sales will be over 100k, extremely better than PSP+PSP Go numbers.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

Call of Duty 4 over 200,000 on PS3 now.

Media Create 2008 Top 500:

129. [PS3] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision) 107,639 / 146,443

Media Create week ending Nov 08 2009:

33. [PS3] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Legendary Hits) (Activision) - 4.376 / 62.657

Combined sales - 207,033

letsdance said:
jarrod said:
letsdance said:
jarrod said:
Torillian said:

and you think sony wont make another shipment for the go this year even though they already sold 1/3rd of it in 2 weeks with the holiday sals go full force in another 2 weeks. I didn't say it was undershipped I said if there was something wrong with the shipments it would be undershipped.

lol.  I really should've taken you up on that 250k ban bet. :/

Also, I said up to 2 shipments this year.  Which after this week, is starting to look generous...

Buzzi said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
People are waiting for the DSi LL in Japan

And I don't understand why! It's a version made just for old people, I don't understand why about half of the week DS buyers would wait for the new version...but thet's the only explanation to DS sales, some weeks ago were near 70k, and there's still big software released week by week. I think at this point the week DSi LL launches in Japan total DS sales will be over 100k, extremely better than PSP+PSP Go numbers.

Its not just for old people, anyone who wants a larger DSi will want it

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)