By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales (11/2 – 11/8)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Buzzi said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
People are waiting for the DSi LL in Japan

And I don't understand why! It's a version made just for old people, I don't understand why about half of the week DS buyers would wait for the new version...but thet's the only explanation to DS sales, some weeks ago were near 70k, and there's still big software released week by week. I think at this point the week DSi LL launches in Japan total DS sales will be over 100k, extremely better than PSP+PSP Go numbers.

Its not just for old people, anyone who wants a larger DSi will want it

And what gamer would sacrifice the graphic (larger screen, same resolution), portability, weight and money? Just old people and collectors IMHO.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

Around the Network

Valkyria Chronicles was in bargain bins 3 months after release?

I bought the game about 4-5 months after it released and it was $60 at Gamestop. Not to mention, the "bargain bin" you are talking about was when Valkyria Chronicles temporarily went to $30 at Gamestop for the spring sale in April. That was already about 6 months after release, not the 3 you alluded to.

After that however the price went back up to $60, then later to $40. Then just recently it was reduced to $19.99. I think this was last month?

So $60 isn't bargain bin, neither is $40. I think your definition of "bargain bin" is a bit skewed.

Also talking about expectations, the game is an SJRPG, a genre which doesn't normally see high sales. I believe FF: Tactics is the only one to ever sell beyond 1Million, could be wrong, but you think SEGA honestly expected around 600k sales for this title?

You think SEGA expected it to be the highest selling SJRPG on home consoles this gen, beating out Fire Emblem?

Anyways, just giving my take on this whole thing.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Avinash_Tyagi said:
People are waiting for the DSi LL in Japan

It doesn't even matter.  The PSP can outsell the DS by any negligible amount, that battle was won years ago.

jarrod said:
letsdance said:
Really... people said the same thing about SEGA supporting the Ps3... obviously they were happy with VC sales or else they wouldnt have kept supporting it. Or release multiplew other exclusive Ps3 games. i doubt things like VC and 3DDH costs as much as people think. In fact, I doubt games that arent expected to have AAA sales costs as much as you guys think.

ND has made 2 AAA games for 40 million. (yes, 2 points dont mean shit to me. I would have had the same amount of fun even if it were 90+. It got marked down because lack of multiplayer whichj is stupid. I enjoy single player more)

if Sega were happy with VC sales... why'd they move the the sequel to PSP?  

3DGH sales aren't great, but the game was super cheap to make (established middleware, 20 man team, less than a year).  I doubt FROM's going to lose money on it, especially given the western license was supposedly "hotly contested".  Can't wait for that 360 port. :D

If Capcom was happy with Monster Hunter 3 sales, then why are the next 3 Monster Hunter games going to be on PSP?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Euphoria14 said:

I bought the game about 4-5 months after it released and it was $60 at Gamestop. Not to mention, the "bargain bin" you are talking about was when Valkyria Chronicles temporarily went to $30 at Gamestop for the spring sale in April. That was already about 6 months after release, not the 3 you alluded to.

After that however the price went back up to $60, then later to $40. Then just recently it was reduced to $19.99. I think this was last month?

So $60 isn't bargain bin, neither is $40. I think your definition of "bargain bin" is a bit skewed.

Also talking about expectations, the game is an SJRPG, a genre which doesn't normally see high sales. I believe FF: Tactics is the only one to ever sell beyond 1Million, could be wrong, but you think SEGA honestly expected around 600k sales for this title?

You think SEGA expected it to be the highest selling SJRPG on home consoles this gen, beating out Fire Emblem?

If they expected Fire Emblem level sales, I think they'd have given it a Fire Emblem level budget and promotion.  That pretty clearly wasn't the case.

Sakura Taisen sold 600k on Saturn, why not expect it's spiritual successor to sell similar on PS3?

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
jarrod said:
letsdance said:
Really... people said the same thing about SEGA supporting the Ps3... obviously they were happy with VC sales or else they wouldnt have kept supporting it. Or release multiplew other exclusive Ps3 games. i doubt things like VC and 3DDH costs as much as people think. In fact, I doubt games that arent expected to have AAA sales costs as much as you guys think.

ND has made 2 AAA games for 40 million. (yes, 2 points dont mean shit to me. I would have had the same amount of fun even if it were 90+. It got marked down because lack of multiplayer whichj is stupid. I enjoy single player more)

if Sega were happy with VC sales... why'd they move the the sequel to PSP?  

3DGH sales aren't great, but the game was super cheap to make (established middleware, 20 man team, less than a year).  I doubt FROM's going to lose money on it, especially given the western license was supposedly "hotly contested".  Can't wait for that 360 port. :D

If Capcom was happy with Monster Hunter 3 sales, then why are the next 3 Monster Hunter games going to be on PSP?

I'm sorry, was Monster Hunter 4 announced for PSP while I wasn't looking?

bluthunder said:
Call of Duty 4 over 200,000 on PS3 now.

Media Create 2008 Top 500:

129. [PS3] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision) 107,639 / 146,443

Media Create week ending Nov 08 2009:

33. [PS3] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Legendary Hits) (Activision) - 4.376 / 62.657

Combined sales - 207,033

Ohh, do you have a link so I can see all the top 200 or whatever you saw?

Euphoria14 said:

Also talking about expectations, the game is an SJRPG, a genre which doesn't normally see high sales. I believe FF: Tactics is the only one to ever sell beyond 1Million, could be wrong, but you think SEGA honestly expected around 600k sales in Japan only for this title?

Thank you. The Gamestop deal was the retail making aggressive pricing strageties to gain larger market share and has nothing to do with SEGA and down to 40 dollars is typical for older games. Games that get thrown into bargin bins go to about 20 dollars (Like TLR and IU)

Part I bolded - Not many JRPGs even get 600k in Japan only.

@outlaw:

That's not even a fair question - like the two are mutually exclusive or something. Monster Hunter is a beast on PSP, a handheld system. Monster Hunter is a beast on Wii, being the best selling console iteration ever. The series is a bigger beast on PSP, no denying that. Capcom already went on record saying they were happy with Monster Hunter sales (anyone know where that thread is?). They can release another game on PSP AND be happy with Wii MH sales. There's no conflict there whatsoever.

Kenology said:
@outlaw:

That's not even a fair question - like the two are mutually exclusive or something. Monster Hunter is a beast on PSP, a handheld system. Monster Hunter is a beast on Wii, being the best selling console iteration ever. The series is a bigger beast on PSP, no denying that. Capcom already went on record saying they were happy with Monster Hunter sales (anyone know where that thread is?). They can release another game on PSP AND be happy with Wii MH sales. There's no conflict there whatsoever.

My only point in saying that is this, a company moving to the PSP to find more success does NOT mean that the console version sold badly. That's all.