By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales (11/2 – 11/8)

letsdance said:

Why not move Yakuza Kenzen to PSP or Yakuza 3 to multiplat. Why even make Yakuza 4. I bet VC cost less money then those games and got similiar sales. and you can wait awhile for that port.

VC certainly did not manage similar sales, at least not in the same markets at the same pricepoints.  Which is probably why they moved it to more viable home.

Kenzan and Y3 shared development budget, bringing down costs for each.  It's really the rare Sega success story on PS3, managed through good promotion, an attractive brand and smart R&D.

Around the Network
jarrod said:
letsdance said:

Why not move Yakuza Kenzen to PSP or Yakuza 3 to multiplat. Why even make Yakuza 4. I bet VC cost less money then those games and got similiar sales. and you can wait awhile for that port.

VC certainly did not manage similar sales, at least not in the same markets at the same pricepoints.  Which is probably why they moved it to more viable home.

Kenzan and Y3 shared development budget, bringing down costs for each.  It's really the rare Sega success story on PS3, managed through good promotion, an attractive brand and smart R&D.

1 Valkyria Chronicles
Read the review
Sega 9.4 8.4 9.8 0.57m 24th Apr 08 14th Sep 09
1 Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan! Sega N/A N/A N/A 0.30m 07th Mar 08 04th Aug 09
1 Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 Sega N/A N/A N/A 0.49m 26th Feb 09 04th Aug 09

Kenzan was a Ps2 game ported to the Ps3. I doubt it shared dev costs

and you are right... it didnt get similiar sales. It got more.

letsdance said:
jarrod said:
letsdance said:

1 Valkyria Chronicles
Read the review
Sega 9.4 8.4 9.8 0.57m 24th Apr 08 14th Sep 09
1 Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan! Sega N/A N/A N/A 0.30m 07th Mar 08 04th Aug 09
1 Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 Sega N/A N/A N/A 0.49m 26th Feb 09 04th Aug 09

Kenzan was a Ps2 game ported to the Ps3. I doubt it shared dev costs

and you are right... it didnt get similiar sales. It got more.

It got more sales by releasing in more markets and getting thrown into bargain bins 3 months after launch.... which is consistent with what I just said.  Meanwhile Yakuza's getting full fledged PS3 sequels while Valkyria got dumbed down and mainstreamed for PSP. ;)

Also, where are you getting that Kenzan was an up-ported PS2 game?  That's pretty clearly not the case and Nagoshi even said it was the testbed for their PS3 engine.

VC2 going to PSP could be for a plethora of reasons, it is not proof that the first didn't make money. I have a hard time believing that the game got 570k sales and still hasn't earned Sega a cent.

Bargin bins? No. gamestop deals? Yes. It doesn't matter what retailer does with the game SEGA gets the same amount. VC was continually supported.

Around the Network

PS3 and PSP beat total DS sales this week

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Torillian said:
VC2 going to PSP could be for a plethora of reasons, it is not proof that the first didn't make money. I have a hard time believing that the game got 570k sales and still hasn't earned Sega a cent.

I'm not arguing profitability, just likely expectations.  And then, I think it's likely localized to Japan, I doubt Sega expected much in the west (they clearly don't with the sequel).  In Japan though, this was hearalded as a AAA game, from the Sakura Taisen team, with a huge promotional push and even Famitsu coverage for months after it released.   They probably expected Japanese sales more in line with the main Sakura Taisen games (~300-600k, pre-budget).

This is all pretty OT though, we should keep the discussion centered on this week's sales.

letsdance said:
Bargin bins? No. gamestop deals? Yes. It doesn't matter what retailer does with the game SEGA gets the same amount. VC was continually supported.

That's not how retail works, games are price protected for all the big stores.  And the drop wasn't GS only, it ended up being universal, meaning Sega would've gone into PP for Valkyria (ie: made less money per unit).

While PSP Go sold like crap it seems it gave enough of a boost for PSP 3000 to outsell DS for this  week 

lombard2578 said:

DSL 3.600
DSi 34.000
PSP 38.000
PSPgo 15.000

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

People are waiting for the DSi LL in Japan

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)