By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: The Dumbest Guys in the Room

So you say I was wrong about not needing a new drive, but then concede that all it would need is a firmware update? Ok. And why wouldn't people upgrade their firmware? It's free. And easy as most Blu-ray players have Wi-fi capabilities for firmware updates and BD Live. But I guess you never update your PC or 360 when it's time, huh? And there's more money in making cheaper products at a larger profit then spend millions/billions backing new hardware, which will have a much smaller install base. Especially this early in Blu-rays life. That's why Blu-ray is around to stay for awhile.

Why the hate for 8-track? It was a success. Ask anyone growing up in that time period and they will tell you they had an 8-track player. Tapes came out the same time in the U.S. as 8-tracks, but were of worse sound quality, and were mostly used for dictation/voice recording. Starting in 1965, most cars were being installed with 8-track players, not cassette tape players. It wasn't until the early 70's that cassttes started to equal 8-tracks in sound quality. And not till the early 80's when it began it's huge boom, mostly thanks to the release of portable players, such as Sony's first Walkman in 1979.

And think of this, why would major retails and music companies keep 8-tracks on its shelves from 1965-1982, if it was such a failure? Must have been making money off of it, otherwise it would have just replaced them with cassetes. Now, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe you are referring to Quadraphonic 8-tracks, as those only saw moderate success in the early to mid 70's.

Blu-ray may not have the same market share that DVD once had, but it has had more competetion, as well. DVD didn't have to compete against a new format (HD-DVD), as well as an old and very popular one. It just had VHS to battle with. Blu-ray also has the increase of DLC to compete with. However, in the next few years Blu-ray will have a majority share, again smaller than DVD's but still majority, over all formats. DLC is here to stay, and it will become more popular, but so will Blu-ray.

Another thing to think about is that Blu-ray is BC with DVD. This explains why Blu-ray hardware is being adopted faster than DVD was, but the software is not (though it is still rising). If a movie is released that doesn't show off the capabilities of Blu-ray, you have the option to just purchase it on DVD and it will still work on your player.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:

So you say I was wrong about not needing a new drive, but then concede that all it would need is a firmware update? Ok. And why wouldn't people upgrade their firmware? It's free. And easy as most Blu-ray players have Wi-fi capabilities for firmware updates and BD Live. But I guess you never update your PC or 360 when it's time, huh? And there's more money in making cheaper products at a larger profit then spend millions/billions backing new hardware, which will have a much smaller install base. Especially this early in Blu-rays life. That's why Blu-ray is around to stay for awhile.

*Sigh* did you not read what I wrote earlier, most people will not update their firmware. They will either not know about it, they will feel it is too much work, or they may be intimidated by it. So companies will begin pumping out Bluray players with the update and it will be seen as a new drive. unfortunately, the benefits of such and upgrade will not be seen by many, and it will never catch on in the mainstream. in this sense, it DOES require a "different" drive If you understand people at all, you would realize I am right.

I once had a DVD player where the sound and picture would get out of sync everytime you played a movie, so I looked it up, turns out there was a firmware update for it. Well during my search I saw many people complaining about the issue in comments, then, when presented with the solution, a quick download and burn, they decided to just ditch the DVD player, and buy a different one where they did not need to do that. now tell me, do you honestly think the same won't happen with the bluray. 

Why the hate for 8-track? It was a success. Ask anyone growing up in that time period and they will tell you they had an 8-track player. Tapes came out the same time in the U.S. as 8-tracks, but were of worse sound quality, and were mostly used for dictation/voice recording. Starting in 1965, most cars were being installed with 8-track players, not cassette tape players. It wasn't until the early 70's that cassttes started to equal 8-tracks in sound quality. And not till the early 80's when it began it's huge boom, mostly thanks to the release of portable players, such as Sony's first Walkman in 1979.

I don't hate the 8track, it was before my time..and actually, given the fact that it has better sound than tapes, I would actually prefer it. however I did research on the issue. Now, your history is a little off, you are correct that 8tracks really picked up popularity around 1965, but the early seventies gave way to the tape, most people didn't notice the decrease in sound quality, and the tape was just easier to carry around. * tracks stuck around, for a little while but 1973 is about the time their popularity dropped. 

And think of this, why would major retails and music companies keep 8-tracks on its shelves from 1965-1982, if it was such a failure? Must have been making money off of it, otherwise it would have just replaced them with cassetes. Now, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe you are referring to Quadraphonic 8-tracks, as those only saw moderate success in the early to mid 70's.

Why would major retailers continue to sell VHS tapes for about three years after their popularity wained? Just because something isn't mainstream does not mean it isn't going to sell to a large amount of people, it just means it's not selling to the greater portion of the population. 

Blu-ray may not have the same market share that DVD once had, but it has had more competetion, as well. DVD didn't have to compete against a new format (HD-DVD), as well as an old and very popular one. It just had VHS to battle with. Blu-ray also has the increase of DLC to compete with. However, in the next few years Blu-ray will have a majority share, again smaller than DVD's but still majority, over all formats. DLC is here to stay, and it will become more popular, but so will Blu-ray.

Yes, and this is exactly why Bluray will not be as popular as you seem to think, it has too much going against it. 

Another thing to think about is that Blu-ray is BC with DVD. This explains why Blu-ray hardware is being adopted faster than DVD was, but the software is not (though it is still rising). If a movie is released that doesn't show off the capabilities of Blu-ray, you have the option to just purchase it on DVD and it will still work on your player.

That is not enough. Think of this. If a person has a large collection of DVDs, and they can purchase an up-converting DVD player that will give them almost the same picture quality of the Bluray, do you honestly think they will replace their entire collection of DVDs with Bluray? No, they will not

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

ironman said:

thismeintiel said:
Geez you do no research what so ever. You are the worst form of ignorant. Not only do you not know the facts, you don't even look things up before you shoot your mouth off. Then decide to accept your opinion as fact.

A laughable statement at best, I looked up several of the drives which you quoted before my last post. Suffice to say, I am correct when I say you need a different drive to use the larger discs.  

You do not need a new drive to use the larger layers of Blu-ray. Hitachi used a standard drive on their discs. Pioneer already stated that for their 400GB disc to work, a firmware update is all that would be needed. The only problem is cost of making these types of discs. Which will definitely go down in the coming years.

Yes, but how many people are going to update their firmware? And why in the world, would these companies even bother with larger Bluray discs when they will make more money on a new format. Really, you are clueless aren't you.

8 track a failure. LOL. Had a good laugh at that one. I guess that's why they were popular for 2 decades. From 1965 to the early 80's, when cassette tapes took over. And radio stations still used them for jingles and ads till around the 90's when computer tech took over. What a flop they turned out to be.

It was not popular till the mid sixties, and lost it's temporary boon when tapes came out in the early 70s. BTW, radio stations are not the general population of consumers. the reason radio stations used 8 tracks was because they hold more "information" they have a wider bandwidth, so they sound better.  

Your right that DVD sales have declined. However, Blu-ray is steadily rising. For the first half of 2009 disc sales climbed by 91%, while players rose 25%.

Yes, Bluray sales have climbed, but they are losing ground to digital distribution. They have not flourished as well as they could have.  

Again look things up. You are online. It's easy enough.

I say the same to you, because obviously you don't know how to research, so far, I have done a bit of research and have consequently destroyed your baseless arguments time and time again. 

hmm no no no and no.

first, they are 400gb+ disc that work even on the old ps3 drive, all that was needed its firmware update. though someone require new drives, many of them don't.

also all blu ray players now BD Profile 2 require internet connection and some even get firmware updates through there, sometimes to fix problem with certain movies, and many blu ray players have internet capabilities like hulu and youtube.

blu ray sales climbed faster than the DVD did in it's first years.  and eventually will replace DVD, but u see mp3 market, even dd still CDS still sell, while the market split, DVD+CDs sales are still profit able.

and no, DD won't work for HD movies for a while, blu ray disc have 1920x1080 24fps 5.1-7 audio surround.

do you know how much it's need to stream such file?  we are not even 5 years close to have it. countries like japan, europe will probably get faster than us but media will be require for places such internet speeds are not available worldwide, and no USA it's not the world, it's quite late as internet speed goes.

while we will get there sometime, as now blu ray have clear quality advance over digital distribution which many are only SD movies. some store support it, like PSN or xbox live, but it doens't have the quality blu ray have.

Xoj said:
ironman said:

thismeintiel said:
Geez you do no research what so ever. You are the worst form of ignorant. Not only do you not know the facts, you don't even look things up before you shoot your mouth off. Then decide to accept your opinion as fact.

A laughable statement at best, I looked up several of the drives which you quoted before my last post. Suffice to say, I am correct when I say you need a different drive to use the larger discs.  

You do not need a new drive to use the larger layers of Blu-ray. Hitachi used a standard drive on their discs. Pioneer already stated that for their 400GB disc to work, a firmware update is all that would be needed. The only problem is cost of making these types of discs. Which will definitely go down in the coming years.

Yes, but how many people are going to update their firmware? And why in the world, would these companies even bother with larger Bluray discs when they will make more money on a new format. Really, you are clueless aren't you.

8 track a failure. LOL. Had a good laugh at that one. I guess that's why they were popular for 2 decades. From 1965 to the early 80's, when cassette tapes took over. And radio stations still used them for jingles and ads till around the 90's when computer tech took over. What a flop they turned out to be.

It was not popular till the mid sixties, and lost it's temporary boon when tapes came out in the early 70s. BTW, radio stations are not the general population of consumers. the reason radio stations used 8 tracks was because they hold more "information" they have a wider bandwidth, so they sound better.  

Your right that DVD sales have declined. However, Blu-ray is steadily rising. For the first half of 2009 disc sales climbed by 91%, while players rose 25%.

Yes, Bluray sales have climbed, but they are losing ground to digital distribution. They have not flourished as well as they could have.  

Again look things up. You are online. It's easy enough.

I say the same to you, because obviously you don't know how to research, so far, I have done a bit of research and have consequently destroyed your baseless arguments time and time again. 

hmm no no no and no.

*sigh* yes yes and ...yes.

first, they are 400gb+ disc that work even on the old ps3 drive, all that was needed its firmware update. though someone require new drives, many of them don't.

Yes you need a firmware update, but most people won't do it. they would rather go out and buy a new drive, read my last post, I explained this at length.

also all blu ray players now BD Profile 2 require internet connection and some even get firmware updates through there, sometimes to fix problem with certain movies, and many blu ray players have internet capabilities like hulu and youtube.

yeah...fail, not all of them have internet ports, and whats more is, not a large population will have them hooked up to the internet.

blu ray sales climbed faster than the DVD did in it's first years.  and eventually will replace DVD, but u see mp3 market, even dd still CDS still sell, while the market split, DVD+CDs sales are still profit able.

Yes, but by the time DVD is replaced, Bluray will be obsolete.

and no, DD won't work for HD movies for a while, blu ray disc have 1920x1080 24fps 5.1-7 audio surround.

Yes, because everybody has a 1080P tv and a 7.1 Surround sound system...Oh hey, did you forget about the HD downloads/streaming on XBL...just one example of how wrong you are.

do you know how much it's need to stream such file?  we are not even 5 years close to have it. countries like japan, europe will probably get faster than us but media will be require for places such internet speeds are not available worldwide, and no USA it's not the world, it's quite late as internet speed goes.

Do you know anything about compression???

while we will get there sometime, as now blu ray have clear quality advance over digital distribution which many are only SD movies. some store support it, like PSN or xbox live, but it doens't have the quality blu ray have.

actually, DVDs have a clear advantage over both at the moment. Also, most consumers will not recognise the quality difference. 

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

Why should they charge for Online Gaming why should they charge for netflix ? Because MS did it ?

In Europe the PS3 is succesful and in Japan. So the Concept of Sony is better then Xbox360 Concept for those two areas.

I still am amazed why the US Citizens dont care about this rip off methods of MS. Its working Just there nowhere else oh except maybe the UK. The gen is far from over. the difference between MS and Sony is that Sony is a Japanese Company and MS is an American Company. The Japanese Economy takes it strength from their long term investments. Per Capita the Japanese have an even stronger Economy then the US.

You just see the win in the next time but they make plans for a long long time. And it is a clever move from Sony that they dont take fees for Online Gaming. Because that makes the PS3 extremly competitive. If Sony would have used the same Rip Off Tactic as MS. online Fees extremly overpriced things like HD and Wifi then they would have been dead a long time ago. Thats the reason why the PS3 picks up steam. The PS3 will be a success I am sure about that.

And most of the reasons you listed are the reasons why PS3 will be ahead of Xbox360. they made long term investments like Bluray and Cell a lot of this technology is able to be used in PS4 like a 32 Core Cell. They made investments in Technology this Generation which will have long term effects even in the next gen. The PS4 will be much cheaper then the PS3.

I am so looking forward to the future because I think time will show us that Sony made a lot of things right not everything but still more succesful then the Xbox360.

The weakest Sony console will be stronger then the strongest MS Console.

Around the Network

@ironman

Just wanted to say that the whole fw update for multilayered disc thing, it's not to much of a hassle for the update required comes on the disc with movie. PSP has been doing it from since the beginning, and there are a few PS3 games with it a believe. I think the First Ratchet and Clank had it. That's the only one I can think of on PS3.

4 ≈ One

OP is very well said. And people not understanding nonsense of Sony's business are funny. You all might be happy consumers for now, we'll see your mood when Sony shut down and cease supporting their products due to bancruptcy. Not to mention 3rd parties flying away from them beforehand.

MDMAniac said:
OP is very well said. And people not understanding nonsense of Sony's business are funny. You all might be happy consumers for now, we'll see your mood when Sony shut down and cease supporting their products due to bancruptcy. Not to mention 3rd parties flying away from them beforehand.

I hope you're not serious...

Edit: Remembering your posts in another thread, I shouldn't even bother.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Xoj said:

Samsung service it's shit, and so are their products.
while the give the image of being better quality their products are built of cheap things that break in a month.

by experience my LCD only lasted a month, and they had to repair it, after repairs it still not picking channels like it should. and they don't want to exchange it.

sony it's offering 4 year warranty in my country for their LCDS not because they had huge problems but because they trust their products.

we had a sony for a while on the living room and still working a year after without a problem.

I had the opposite experience.  I'm just cursed with Sony products. 

huaxiong90 said:
MDMAniac said:

I hope you're not serious...

Edit: Remembering your posts in another thread, I shouldn't even bother.

I cannot understand how you fail to see the logic. The OP has a point whether you're a Sony fan or not.