By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: The Dumbest Guys in the Room

supercat said:
ok, naz, keep in mind that we have only recently seen chinese blu-ray manufacturers support the format because of trade agreements hashed out w/ the chinese govt. That's not only going to help the american consumer buy a cheaper blu ray player, but get chinese to buy blu-rays because chinese people like buying chinese electronics.

"
Blu-ray Disc As previously reported, the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) has recently brought the high definition format to China. In order to accomplish this, they had to not only provide the technology to create Blu-ray Discs and players to Chinese manufacturers, but also create a licensing format which would lower costs and streamline the production process. One of the advantages to the rest of the Blu-ray buying world, commented Mark Leathan, Marketing Director at Samsung, was that we will soon see the "entry of the Chinese manufacturers into the Blu ray market that we will have a $99 Blu ray player." "

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2595

I still don't see why your trying to prove here...

Blu-ray had to cut it's royalties right away where DVD didn't.

That's once again a reason why Blu-ray won't make as much as DVD.

I mean, the reason Blu-ray had to do this is because Toshiba had them over the barrel with DVD royalties.

Chinese companies made little on the DVD players it made.

Blu-ray just isn't going to be as profitable a venture as DVD overall.  Let alone comparing Sony to Toshiba.

Around the Network
Grimes said:
Again, Sony doesn't own blu-ray. The BDA owns blu-ray and it's estimated that Sony has roughly a 30% stake in the BDA. The BDA has it's own marketing and administrative costs, for example the half billion dollars that the BDA paid Warner to beat HD-DVD.

So the BDA would have to be profiting for Sony to even receive any royalty money.

Sony helped also by teaming with Blockbuster to sell Blu Ray DVD's as the only exclusive format save for DVD. Blockbuster got rid of HD-DVD because of that deal when the people never had a choice in deciding.

supercat said:
if the wiiHD goes blu-ray capable, then more people will buy the movies. If the 720 goes BD then more people will buy the movies and on top of that MS will have to pay sony a royalty for the privelage to use the disc.

China? The news that i have read recently shows that china is becoming more and more Blu-ray supportive. In fact if you give me a few minutes I can bring up some news about the greater degree of BD support in china..The thing of it is that the studios will support blu-ray if anything because it is harder to get beyond the BD's copy protection. So, the studios will get more money per copy of BD , than dvd on average. I dunno, i'd think that the studios will support the move to Blu-ray if they can be assured that the costs for movies and players will come down.

That's funny, because MS owns the rights to the codac used in Bluray.  And I believe they own a small stake in it. (why not, it was smart business, just in case HD DVD failed, they would still make money from Bluray.) 

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

Is it really a wise choice to call a company right out dumb? Hell, there are things I could say about MS and use the word dumb. But I'm not going to start a forum about it. Nor do I think their needs to be one every week about Sony everytime they beat out MS or Nintendo in weekly sales, just so you don't feel so "butthurt."

Though it is kinda funny how this forum started of about Samsung and their electronics/TV doing so well. Sorry but do they make the PS3, 360, Wii, DS, or PSP. No? Then what does it matter what they do on this site?. And a lot of wild speculation about Blu-ray, too.

"Sony will never make as much with Blu-ray as Toshiba made with DVD."

How is this even possible to calculate? Do we know how much of a stake Toshiba had in DVD? No. Do we know how much of a stake Sony has in Blu-ray? No. Let's not forget that Sony had a stake in DVD as well. Since DVD was the combining of technologies. Super Density discs were backed by Toshiba, Time Warner, Matsushita Electric, Hitachi, Mitsubishi Electric, Pioneer, Thomson, and JVC. We don't even know how much a stake Toshiba had to share with that group. Then they had to split it up even more when they were forced to join with Sony and Phillips, with their MultiMedia Compact Disc, by the Technical Working Group. So until we have specific numbers, we'll never know.

Personally, I think Blu-ray might be around for awhile. Especially considering that with multiple layers, they have already been able to create a disc with 400GB. Who knows how much larger it could get when this tech matures. I don't think we'll need anything larger than that in quite awhile.

"MS owns a codec used in Blu-ray so they own a small part of Blu-ray"

Sure MS owns the VC-1 codec some Blu-ray video is encoded with. Along with 14 other companies. And as it is has been made a standard by the SMPTE (Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers) anyone can implement it.

Now I have read on forums before where people claim that Microsoft is on the BDA. But nowhere have I come across an article that proves this. And given that MS would be going against their best interest, if they were, by not supporting Blu-ray on 360, I'm going to have to seriously doubt it.

In closing, Sony has made mistakes. We know it and they know it. But just because they are fixing those mistakes, and have been doing really well recently and just so happen to beat your console of choice this week, don't repost old BS from 06-07.

supercat said:
Well, the market is changing faster than you guys think w/ respect to LCD vs OLED. The phone market is the most apparent right now, about half of samsung's phones in 2010 will have an OLED screen. Soon most or all of them will. Plasma was once at a stage where it was unknown as well...

OLED are old new in phones nokia have them since 2007.

for small screens OLED is simple to implement also makes the phones thinner, the problem it's for big screens.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Is it really a wise choice to call a company right out dumb? Hell, there are things I could say about MS and use the word dumb. But I'm not going to start a forum about it. Nor do I think their needs to be one every week about Sony everytime they beat out MS or Nintendo in weekly sales, just so you don't feel so "butthurt."

Though it is kinda funny how this forum started of about Samsung and their electronics/TV doing so well. Sorry but do they make the PS3, 360, Wii, DS, or PSP. No? Then what does it matter what they do on this site?. And a lot of wild speculation about Blu-ray, too.

"Sony will never make as much with Blu-ray as Toshiba made with DVD."

How is this even possible to calculate? Do we know how much of a stake Toshiba had in DVD? No. Do we know how much of a stake Sony has in Blu-ray? No. Let's not forget that Sony had a stake in DVD as well. Since DVD was the combining of technologies. Super Density discs were backed by Toshiba, Time Warner, Matsushita Electric, Hitachi, Mitsubishi Electric, Pioneer, Thomson, and JVC. We don't even know how much a stake Toshiba had to share with that group. Then they had to split it up even more when they were forced to join with Sony and Phillips, with their MultiMedia Compact Disc, by the Technical Working Group. So until we have specific numbers, we'll never know.

Personally, I think Blu-ray might be around for awhile. Especially considering that with multiple layers, they have already been able to create a disc with 400GB. Who knows how much larger it could get when this tech matures. I don't think we'll need anything larger than that in quite awhile.

"MS owns a codec used in Blu-ray so they own a small part of Blu-ray"

Sure MS owns the VC-1 codec some Blu-ray video is encoded with. Along with 14 other companies. And as it is has been made a standard by the SMPTE (Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers) anyone can implement it.

Now I have read on forums before where people claim that Microsoft is on the BDA. But nowhere have I come across an article that proves this. And given that MS would be going against their best interest, if they were, by not supporting Blu-ray on 360, I'm going to have to seriously doubt it.

In closing, Sony has made mistakes. We know it and they know it. But just because they are fixing those mistakes, and have been doing really well recently and just so happen to beat your console of choice this week, don't repost old BS from 06-07.

Speaking of butthurt... *rolls eyes*

BTW, they have already created a dual layer 1 TB disk it's called Tera Disc and has been in development since 2007...how soon it will hit mainstream I can't tell you.

Past Avatar picture!!!

If it's been in dev since 2007, it won't release for another 10 years probably

theprof00 said:
If it's been in dev since 2007, it won't release for another 10 years probably

Doubtful, several different firms are working with the same technology (Organic compounds), so there is a race to see who gets it out first. I say 2015 we will see it on the market. however, it could take about 5 years to gain any real saturation, especially since digital distribution is gaining ground. 

Past Avatar picture!!!

well, Blu ray took about 10 years. I was just generalizing on physical media.
BR also saw delays though because of legal issues.

If so many companies are in a race to this technology, the same thing could happen, but who knows.
BD companies are also working on a TB disc which is supposed to be out by 2013

Yes, ironman, because I do research instead of blurting out forum rumor I am butthurt. LOL. Well, at least you made me laugh.

As far as the TD goes. I really don't see that happening. First off it uses 200 layers of 5 GB. So if we get to a point where we can have 200 layers on a Blu-ray that will be 5TB. Not to mention all the movie and electronic companies that have put their hand in Blu-ray won't be switching over to this new one when a TB on Blu-ray will probably be possible whenever that came out.

However, there are 2 other formats HVD (Holographic Versatile Disc) and 5D DVD, that are supposed to hold 4TB and 10TB, respectively. But they won't be ready for another 10 years. So like I said, Blu-ray is probably here to stay for awhile.