By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Five years of the DS - Which have been your Favorite Games?

So here we are, mere weeks away from the 5 year anniversary of the DS.  And it has been quite a legacy, with multi-million sellers and proven innovations.  Few can say that the DS isn't one of the strongest gaming devices ever created.  But what games exactly made it great?  We could look at its sales or its reviews, but a better measure might be the actual public opinion, yours.

So what is your top 5 favorite DS titles here 5 years into its life cycle?  What games do you think proved the systems strengths and provided you with that addiction level that had you coming back for more?  And hopefully, you would recommend to others.

Here's mine:

1. Kirby's Canvas Curse - Early into the life of the DS, it was looking for a few good titles to really stand out and show what the DS could do.  And this was definitely it.  Sporting great graphics and more importantly, unique stylus controls that no other game had seen before, this game took the Kirby series in a dramatic new direction, and it worked beautifully.  To this day, you will be hard pressed to find a game that delves directly into the innovative stylus and Double Screen configuration of the DS better than this game.  And it is still one of the best DS, and Kirby games, around.

2. Dragon Quest V DS - Overlooked outside of Japan due to a lack of marketing, this remake of a classic SNES RPG still remains one of the best RPGs out there.  And this DS remake does nothing but improve on the original, with additional content, updated graphics and improved gameplay.  In all ways, this is a model of how a DS RPG should be made.

3. New Super Mario Bros - How better to reinvigorate the Mario Franchise on handhelds then to get back to basics.  As long as its done correctly that is.  And New Super Mario Bros pretty much hit it spot on.  Sporting a feel much like the original Super Mario Bros, but sporting a plethera of new worlds, two new power ups and a host of familiar enemies, this new Mario title had just the right touches to please everyone.  And the most important feature, it was fun.

4. Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! - One part JPOP, one part Rythym Music game, one part crazyness, Ouendan is a game that couldn't have been made without the DS.  And it is an experience that everyone with the system should share at least once.  Who ever thought tapping and dragging a stylus to a beat could be so addicting...or so hard?

5. WarioWare Touched! - The WarioWare series has seen a long and healthy life.  Sometimes under the shadow of other titles while other times as a bold marketing strategy to push the new features of a launching console.  The latter was the basis behind WarioWare Touched! on the DS.  And while it didn't sell extrodinarily well, it did show off much of the early capabilities of the DS.  But even more importantly, it rekindled the fast paced Mini-games action of the first WarioWare title and is one of the best games on the DS, even for coming out so early.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network

1. New Super Mario Bros. DS
2. Mario Kart DS
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
5. Final Fantasy IV

I guess that's it for now, still have a bunch of games that will definitely change it.

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

1.) Pokemon Platinum
2.) New Super Mario Bros.
3.) Mario Kart DS
4.) Kirby Superstar Ultra
5.) Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

Pixel Art can be fun.

1 - Mario Kart DS
2 - New Super Mario Bros.
3 - The Legend Of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
4 - Chrono Trigger
5 - Metroid Prime: Hunters

Phoneix wright

Phoenix wright 2

Mario + Luigi Partners in time

Kirby Canvas Curse

GTA Chinatown wars

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout
Around the Network

1. Elite Beat Agents
2. Rub Rabbits
3. Mario Kart DS
4. LoZ: PH
5. Age of Empires DS

1. Scribblenauts
2. Mario Kart DS
3. Metroid Prime Hunters
4. NSMB DS
5. Pokemon Silver

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

1. Pokemon Platinum
2. Mario Kart DS
3. New Super Mario Bros.
4. The World Ends with You
5. Final Fantasy IV/ Sonic Rush (Tie)

This is the true definition of owning.

1 - Final Fantasy IV: This is one of my favorite RPGs of all time. The story, characters and music are all top-notch. It's pretty difficult though. This is one to remember.

2 - The Dark Spire: Not a big fan of first person dungeon-crawlers, but I really enjoyed this one. It took me back to those Wizardry days in middle school. I had lots of fun working my way up the tower, managing the party and trying to shape their classes. This is another tough RPG, and it felt so good beating this game. The art-style and soundtrack were pretty good. Great dungeon-crawler.

3 - Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor: I'm a big SMT fan, so I was pretty excited that a MegaTen game was hitting the DS. I spent hours and hours in the fusion system. It's the best in the series, and being able to choose your demon spells was a warm welcome. The story is pretty good, and it gets better as you progress. The events or things you do in the game affects the game's ending thus warrants multiple playthroughs. As for battles, it was an okay mix of tactical and traditional RPG elements, but there are a couple of flaws with the design. Attacking from behind doesn't give you an advantage in actual battles. I did like that actual battles were presented in a traditional RPG combat system. Had a blast with this game.

4 - Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword: Wasn't expecting much out of this game, but it turned out to be a pretty fun game. It had a nice use of the stylus, and the action is fast and intense. Great action game.

5 - Hotel Dusk: Room 215: I don't really like these types of games because they bore the hell out of me, but I gave this one a whilr and enjoyed it. This was the first DS game I tried that used the stylus, and I was pretty impressed by it. Some of the puzzle mini-games were pretty fun especially the ones from the bar. The story was great, but it took quite a while to get interesting. Characters were nice, and the drawing style designs the characters had was nice.

I'm currently playing Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, and it's awesome so far. Pretty sure it'll make the top 5. Haven't played the previous installments yet but will soon!

1. Super Robot Taisen
2. Professor Layton 1
3. Final Fantasy IV
4. Elite Beat Agents

I don't really have a 5th but if I had to choose it'd probably be Mario Kart DS.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.