By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Can God create a rock so big that he can't lift it?

Back to the original question,
The question itself is nonsensical, for if God can do anything, then:
He can create all things,
He can create all rocks,
He can lift all rocks.
So, for the part of the question "a rock so big that he can't lift it", we see that it denies the necessary conclusion from omnipotence that He can lift all rocks, and, thus, it cannot be referring to omnipotence.

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz
Around the Network
appolose said:
He can create all rocks,
He can lift all rocks.
So, for the part of the question "a rock so big that he can't lift it", we see that it denies the necessary conclusion from omnipotence that He can lift all rocks, and, thus, it cannot be referring to omnipotence.

This is the only other consistent answer to this question I've ever seen.

I say God can create something greater than Himself, appolose says He cannot.

That's pretty much all there is.

Khuutra said:
highwaystar101 said:
Have I not been speaking English in this thread?

Maybe I'm being a little complicated, allow me to simplify my argument.

1. Infinite and finite realms are two different things. For an infinite being to exist in a finite realm (our Universe) then it must adhere to the limitations in our Universe, therefore becoming limited by our time and power.

2. For an infinite being to create within our Universe then it become finite in order to interact with us, whether this is external or internal. (See Genesis being measured in periods of time argument)

3. If God created our universe then it must be finite to have done so. If god is finite then that must mean that at some point it didn't exist and at some point it will cease to exist. (This is a further catalist to the creators creator argument.)

Highway, God doesn't need to be infinite or to always have existed in order to have shaped the universe - see my last post. There's precedence for this stuff throughout many, many different mythologies. You're thinking of God as He must be to fit your worldview, when that isn't what God is about at all.

Now, as to why God can create somthing greater than himself: he already did.

The first thing that needs to be understood here is that most people's imagining of God (an invisible, omnipresent man in the skky who knows everything at once and can create or uncreate reality at will) is not in keeping with the original intent of the Jewish concept of Yahweh.

Dig this: in Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 alone, God was neither omniscient nor omnipotent. He did not know that Adam and Eve had eatn of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge until he discovered that they were hiding from him: God actulaly had to deduce that they had eaten from the tree, and that was only after calling out to them so that they'd stop hiding from him, because people are almost impossible to find when they hide in Eden, apparently.

The only question is when God created somethign greater than himself, and the answer is that he already did that in man.

When Jacob wrestled with God in Genesis 32 (and this is the generally accepted interpretation if you know your Jewish texts, or so I am told) it was shown that God was literally unable to overpower Jacob, and that when he saw this he crippled Jacob in the hip, and even then could not overpower him. When the Sun rose and Jacob still had not been cast down, Jacob demanded two things: a blessing and the name of the being that he had just finished grappling with. To the former he was belssed with Israel, but the latter was refused him because no man can know or hear the name of God.

What this means is immensely important, and was explained to me by a Jewish friend.

The most literal and consistent interpretation of this passage is that God wasn ot wrestlign with Jacob's physical form but the force of Jacob's will, which in the end he was unable to overpower. He crippled Jacob's body to remind him always of humanity's frailty, but because Jacob showed his will as unbreakable to God he was blessed and given a name for his land.

The point here is that man's will is firstly absolute and secondly sacrosanct, the highest form to which man can aspire. We are all supposed to wrestle with God, to question God and His teachings and everything about Him, arriving at truth through our own paths as an exercise of our wills. To accept God blindly is itself a rejection of the greatest and most powerful of his blessings, and an immense insult to God - most people think of Abraham sacrificing his son as being a great honor to God, but this is not so. Abraham spent most of his life arguing with God, convincing him (more than once) to spare thel ives of people in spite of their inequities, and this is a part of why God loved him so much. it is only the, when he surrendered his will and was willing to sacrifice his son, that God stopped speaking to him. That's an important point that needs to be brought up: Abraham was one of the Biblical figures who used to walk around with God and chat with him about humanity, and that was taken away from him when he ceased to exercise his will.

So, yes. God can make such a rock. You're that rock.

More, God does not know everything all at once, (this is a fairly recent idea) God is not omnipotent, (this an almost exclusively Christian idea, I think) and God can be both reasoned with and overcome by the will of man.

I appreciate replies like this Khuutra. You've put thought and effort into this post. I'm just sorry that I edited the original post.

However, 

God by definition has to be infinite to be the true God. Because a finite being has a beginning and has an end, therefore at some point there must have been a moment where God was created, so is Gods creator the true God?

Anyway, I understand that the Abrahamic view differs slightly from my definition, but so do all Gods from all religions. I'm trying to define a single idea of God that encompasses most popular theologies (which is hard).

I'm afraid that as for the religious citations that you came up with, I'm not very comfortable accepting them as an argument because I don't see them as a point that I can accept being non religious myself. A personal God and personal beliefs are exactly that, personal. Jewish people have their own truths, Christians have their own truths, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Jains, Sikhs and even Jedis have their own personal truths. None of which are mine I'm afraid. But I appreciate your post and it was an interesting read.

highwaystar101 said:

I appreciate replies like this Khuutra. You've put thought and effort into this post. I'm just sorry that I edited the original post.

However, 

God by definition has to be infinite to be the true God. Because a finite being has a beginning and has an end, therefore at some point there must have been a moment where God was created, so is Gods creator the true God?

Anyway, I understand that the Abrahamic view differs slightly from my definition, but so do all Gods from all religions. I'm trying to define a single idea of God that encompasses most popular theologies (which is hard).

I'm afraid that as for the religious citations that you came up with, I'm not very comfortable accepting them as an argument because I don't see them as a point that I can accept being non religious myself. A personal God and personal beliefs are exactly that, personal. Jewish people have their own truths, Christians have their own truths, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Jains, Sikhs and even Jedis have their own personal truths. None of which are mine I'm afraid. But I appreciate your post and it was an interesting read.

The question was originally about God, so one has to consider it from the perspective of people who believe in God in order to come up with a reasonable answer. Asking a non-believer (or someone who refuses to consider the perspective of belief) about what God can or can't do is, as was pointed out earlier, like asking "Who would win in a fight between Superman and Goku" of a person who does not partake in Superman comics or Dragon Ball.

As to the bolded: as I said before, there doesn't have to be a creator in the origin. There are not, in point of fact, in most mythologies. Hell, there sure isn't one in our current understanding of the universe! Unless, of course, you want to suggest there had to be a creator before the singularity that preceded the Big Bang.

Regardless, I think that in order to continue this discussion you have to accept the idea that you can't approach this question from the perspective of a skeptic. It cripples your rhetoric.

Khuutra said:
JaggedSac said:
mesoteto said:

and the ability to choice despite those factors implies free will

You think you are making a choice in spite of those factors, but it is those factors that are making your choice.  Even when you think they are not. :)

This is really, really off-topic at this point, buuuuuuut

A person who believes in free will necessarily believes that we are not just a summation of our body parts or chemical reactions that take lace inside of them. For instance, our bodies may just be conduits through which our soul or will acts on the world, and any reaction one sees in our bodies prior to our own "decisions" may in fact just be chemical signals of these interactions. The soul is not limited by the body, ergo there is free will in spite of our bodies being limited - they are biological computers, but they're hooked up to something much, much grander than that.

Yes, I know it's not falsifiable, but that hardly matters in this conversation.

(also read my above post and tell me what you think)

I know next to nothing about philosophy and even less about religions.  Just throwing my thoughts out there.

Around the Network
JaggedSac said:

I know next to nothing about philosophy and even less about religions.  Just throwing my thoughts out there.

Oh.

Well nevermind me then

Khuutra said:
appolose said:
He can create all rocks,
He can lift all rocks.

This is the only other consistent answer to this question I've ever seen.

I say God can create something greater than Himself, appolose says He cannot.

That's pretty much all there is.

Yeah, I suppose that's it.

Just to clarify for any else who reads this; while Khuutra is right in saying that I say God cannot create somethings greater than himself, that does not mean God is not omnipotent, just that the question (when talking about an omnipotent God) is nonsensical.

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz

I've learned from this thread and others, is that if you want VGCz $, you should:

Make a religion thread
Make a piracy thread
Make a console war thread
Make a game thread

God can do anything, no matter how big the rock he can lift it.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

supermario128 said:
God can do anything, no matter how big the rock he can lift it.

Which means he can't do anything because he cannot create a rock too big for himself to lift.