By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Can God create a rock so big that he can't lift it?

Rath said:
supermario128 said:
God can do anything, no matter how big the rock he can lift it.

Which means he can't do anything because he cannot create a rock too big for himself to lift.

*shakes fist*

Not omnipotent in that sense!

Human will is higher than God!

Et cetera!

Around the Network

The answer is yes. G-d can create a rock so big that he can't lift it. It's called humanity.

OOOOOOOOOOOOH SNAP.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
The answer is yes. G-d can create a rock so big that he can't lift it. It's called humanity.

OOOOOOOOOOOOH SNAP.

Are you cribbing off me Rubang

Do we need to step

highwaystar101 said:

Have I not been speaking English in this thread?

Maybe I'm being a little complicated, allow me to simplify my argument.

1. Infinite and finite realms are two different things. For an infinite being to exist in a finite realm (our Universe) then it must adhere to the limitations in our Universe, therefore becoming limited by our time and power.

2. For an infinite being to create within our Universe then it become finite in order to interact with us, whether this is external or internal. (See Genesis being measured in periods of time argument)

3. If God created our universe then it must be finite to have done so. If god is finite then that must mean that at some point it didn't exist and at some point it will cease to exist. (This is a further catalist to the creators creator argument.)

4. Therefore two opposing conclusions can be drawn...

i. If God was an infinite being but created the finite Universe, then we must assume that God has had to become finite in order to interact or create it, therefore adhering to the same limitations as all beings within our Universe making it as mortal/fragil as you and I. So it can't move a rock of theoretical infinite size within our finite Universe.

ii. God is infinite and therefore can move any rock of any size, dimension or weight within an infinite realm. But this would make it unlikely that God is a creator of our Universe.

I understand your argument - I just disagree with its assertions. I don't agree with your assertion about infinite realms (there is no reason why God should exist in a realm of infinite time rather than a realm with no concept of time) or your assertion that in order for a being outside the universe to interact with the universe it must be constrained by the limits of the universe.

Khuutra said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:

OOOOOOOOOOOOH SNAP.

Are you cribbing off me Rubang

Do we need to step

I believe in Nothing, with a capital N.  Let's tango.

Around the Network

god is so powerful that he doesnt need to lift the rock. the rock will lift itself.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Can Santa Claus have so many presents even HE can't deliver them?

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

@Khuutra. I'm not arguing against you because your view doesn't have a paradox. You have removed the omnipotence meaning there can be no omnipotence paradox.

dtewi said:

No he has a magic bag

Khuutra said:
dtewi said:

No he has a magic bag

But it doesn't matter how big the bag may be! If there are too many, he can not get them delivered to children!

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you