By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Can God create a rock so big that he can't lift it?

angrypoolman said:

youre offended by anything, khuutra. quit your whining.

as far as the big bang goes, i think we could have a meaningful discussion without appealing to authority figures on the subject and getting defensive about it.

personally i think the big bang is stupid, but i dont think it is outside the realm of possibility.

i would just like to know what exactly was the cause in which the universe is an effect?

The evidence for the Big Bang is huge (cosmic radiation etc.) and the theoretical models very strong. I don't see any evidence to argue against that it happened, thinking that it is stupid doesn't count as evidence.

Also why are you presuming that cause and effect holds before the existence of the universe?  Causality is a concept that makes no sense without time and time appears to be a property of the universe.

Around the Network

He can resurrect his son, Jesus, back from the dead so I think he can create whatever fucking rock he wants.

angrypoolman said:
Khuutra said:
SimonSaysFYou said:
Khuutra said:
SimonSaysFYou said:

^Part highlighted made me lawl.

OFFICIAL TALLY:

God: 1

Science: Stupid, aka ZERO.

Also, Steven Hawking may be smart but he's still gotta talk through a computer.

To clarify:

....Are you making fun of one of the greatest minds on the planet because of a physical handicap?

Is this guy like your god or something? you're certainly acting like he is.

The guy's a genius, but he's still human, folks. And just because he's a genius doesn't make him immune to the occasional low blow joke.

I didn't pass a value judgment, there's no need to be defensive.

Well, I suppose there is. That shit was so tasteless it makes water look like paprika. Making fun of one of the premier minds of our age because he has a degenerative disease is more than just low brow, it's ... well I guess "obscene" may be too strong, but it's in horrific taste.

And no, the man's not my god. I don't understand half the shit he writes in his "easy" books.

youre offended by anything, khuutra. quit your whining.

Holy shit, what has happened to this thread? O.o

And what's wrong with you angrypoolman? I didn't really care about the time you posted that you actively tried to promote Nintendo products while downplaying the competition, but you're just starting to look like a... dick man.

You consistantly talk about how smart and intelligent you are (and imply that those who disagree aren't... well, you straight up told me in my face in the "my list is better than your list" thread that I wasn't, so scratch being subtle O.o). You like to think in absolutes (this question IS objectively stupid), and are really hostile to those who don't agree with you. ("khuutra. quit your whining")

You're completely fine with insulting someone maliciously due to their dissability (there's a difference between just making a joke about misfortunes without ill intent, and with), but you get so upset about some teenagers trying to act smart that you make an entire thread over it?

Lets get back to the original topic at hand.

angrypoolman said:

I heard my one of my friends say this and act like theyre intelligent and shit for saying it, and it pissed me off. They thought that they cornered believers into some sort of corner and shit because no matter how you answer it you undermine God.

I was like, no you're not original, and no, you're not intelligent.. Furthurmore, that question is fucking stupid.

And I am curious.. why do you guys think it is a stupid question?

First of all, if you're trying to have an discussion in which we can actually learn something from each other, don't just make it a given, that everyone agrees with you. There's a difference between a support/hype thread meant to simply be a fun rallying call, vs an attempt at an "intellectual" civil discourse.

You can't gain any knowledge if you just have people of the same opinion (the question being stupid) just circle jerking themselves. Competition makes both sides stronger (each side learns the weakness of their arguments and strengthens it), so I don't understand why you constantly create a hostile atmosphere.

Many of the people are now riled up, emotional, etc, and that started with your first post. You should try to be calm, neutral, and open and set an example, especially when you claim to be "intellectual".

My thoughts: The question is not stupid. By reading some of the less emotional and riled up posts, there's lots of other questions raised, and alternative answers being given.

That alone shows that the question is worth something and productive.

well this thread is going nowhere.