By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Can God create a rock so big that he can't lift it?

The answer is pretty obvious.

"Yes, unless he wants to lift it."

He can make a rock he can't lift if he really feels like it.... but then if he later feels... you know i'd like that rock liftable... then he'll lift it.

It's like asking if I can program a healing potion in a videogame that my character can't pick up. Sure I can, that doesn't mean i can't go back and rewrite the code if i want.

Around the Network

Also, how does knowing what decision everyone is going to make negate free will.

That's like saying George Washington doesn't have free will because I know what decision he was going to make.

highwaystar101 said:

Have I not been speaking English in this thread?

Maybe I'm being a little complicated, allow me to simplify my argument.

1. Infinite and finite realms are two different things. For an infinite being to exist in a finite realm (our Universe) then it must adhere to the limitations in our Universe, therefore becoming limited by our time and power.

2. For an infinite being to create within our Universe then it become finite in order to interact with us, whether this is external or internal. (See Genesis being measured in periods of time argument)

3. If God created our universe then it must be finite to have done so. If god is finite then that must mean that at some point it didn't exist and at some point it will cease to exist. (This is a further catalist to the creators creator argument.)

4. Therefore two opposing conclusions can be drawn...

i. If God was an infinite being but created the finite Universe, then we must assume that God has had to become finite in order to interact or create it, therefore adhering to the same limitations as all beings within our Universe making it as mortal/fragil as you and I. So it can't move a rock of theoretical infinite size within our finite Universe.

ii. God is infinite and therefore can move any rock of any size, dimension or weight within an infinite realm. But this would make it unlikely that God is a creator of our Universe.

I can write a complete computer program of a world.  I am not then bound by the laws of this world.  I'm not anymore finite then I was before I do it.

I think your logic is flawed.

If God doesn't exist, how can you explain this?

Kasz216 said:
highwaystar101 said:

1. Infinite and finite realms are two different things. For an infinite being to exist in a finite realm (our Universe) then it must adhere to the limitations in our Universe, therefore becoming limited by our time and power.

2. For an infinite being to create within our Universe then it become finite in order to interact with us, whether this is external or internal. (See Genesis being measured in periods of time argument)

3. If God created our universe then it must be finite to have done so. If god is finite then that must mean that at some point it didn't exist and at some point it will cease to exist. (This is a further catalist to the creators creator argument.)

i. If God was an infinite being but created the finite Universe, then we must assume that God has had to become finite in order to interact or create it, therefore adhering to the same limitations as all beings within our Universe making it as mortal/fragil as you and I. So it can't move a rock of theoretical infinite size within our finite Universe.

ii. God is infinite and therefore can move any rock of any size, dimension or weight within an infinite realm. But this would make it unlikely that God is a creator of our Universe.

I can write a complete computer program of a world.  I am not then bound by the laws of this world.  I'm not anymore finite then I was before I do it.

I can see where you're coming from Kasz, but I think you overlooked one factor. You are not a being that exists in a infinite world lol.

My hypothesis was that a finite being can create a finite world, therefore you're example supports my hypothesis.

Around the Network
highwaystar101 said:
Kasz216 said:
highwaystar101 said:

I can see where you're coming from Kasz, but I think you overlooked one factor. You are not a being that exists in a infinite world lol.

No, but i'm a being who lives in a LESS finite world.

The confines of the world i created are less then of the world I live in.... such a world could not contain me.

Kasz216 said:

He can make a rock he can't lift if he really feels like it.... but then if he later feels... you know i'd like that rock liftable... then he'll lift it.

It's like asking if I can program a healing potion in a videogame that my character can't pick up. Sure I can, that doesn't mean i can't go back and rewrite the code if i want.

That answer may have a problem, I think: doesn't it mean God is, at some poin, at least, not omnipotent?

I agree with you on free will, however.

The usual argument goes, "I am going to choose to do this thing in a moment.  God knows it, and he his never wrong.  Therefore, I have no choice but to choose to do that thing".  If you take out the middle part, one will notice that it still follows.

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz
Kasz216 said:
Also, how does knowing what decision everyone is going to make negate free will.

That's like saying George Washington doesn't have free will because I know what decision he was going to make.

I disagree on your second sentence.

If there is any being that knows for certain what path you will take at every point in your life beforehand with no possible way for you to change that, one could argue that your life is predetermined. If you think you are trying to change your predermined path, you aren't, you are just making another turn on that path as it was known you would.  Despite that, I do agree somewhat with the argument you are making.

If God knew this anyway, he would know who is going to heaven and hell already.  If he is against impending on free will (as people seem to use as a defense for him preventing people doing things that damns them to hell) why were the commandments given? Why does he have humans informed of his existance at all?

appolose said:
Kasz216 said:

That answer may have a problem, I think: doesn't it mean God is, at some poin, at least, not omnipotent?

I agree with you on free will, however.

The usual argument goes, "I am going to choose to do this thing in a moment.  God knows it, and he his never wrong.  Therefore, I have no choice but to choose to do that thing".  If you take out the middle part, one will notice that it still follows.

Omnipotence = Being able to do anything you want to do... right?

So, he chooses to make a rock he can't lift... because he doesn't want to... and it remains unliftable until he actually wants to lift it.

He can't life the rock because he wants to try and fail at lifting it.

SeriousWB said:
Kasz216 said:

I disagree on your second sentence.

If there is any being that knows for certain what path you will take at every point in your life beforehand with no possible way for you to change that, one could argue that your life is predetermined. If you think you are trying to change your predermined path, you aren't, you are just making another turn on that path as it was known you would.  Despite that, I do agree somewhat with the argument you are making.

If God knew this anyway, he would know who is going to heaven and hell already.  If he is against impending on free will (as people seem to use as a defense for him preventing people doing things that damns them to hell) why were the commandments given? Why does he have humans informed of his existance at all?

Ok, i'll rewrite my second sentence slightly.

Say i build a time machine and go back in time to when George Washington was born. 

Have I robbed him of his free will?