By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft: on PS3s recent sales surge "We expect it to be short-term and we expect them to be back down to third place soon like they’ve always been.”

huaxiong90 said:
It never ceases to amaze me how people take PR way too seriously.

Forget about all the real problems in the world, SOMEONE JUST MADE A SLIGHTLY DEROGATORY COMMENT ABOUT MY FAVOURITE ELECTRONICS COMPANY! OMG OMG OMG!

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
I just wish MS would just STFU. Focus on your own damn games and business, instead of just bashing the competition when you have been outdone at any point in time. Didn't work for Sega now did it. Hell, they're making games on their previous competitors machine.

And we all know Ken's arrogant statements from 3 friggin' years ago, and I'm sure that's one of the reasons he stepped down. His business model just wasn't working. Now we have Kaz Hirai, who seems to enjoy less of a defensive war stance on his company. As of late, it seems Sony and Nintendo know to just promote their own products and keep the insults to a bare minimum when it comes to the competition.

BTW where is that graphic masterpeice that MS was boasting about when Killzone 2 came out? It was supposed to be the king of graphics on any system. Oh wait it did come out, only on PS3, Uncharted 2. God, MS just shut up and put out all these awesome games you have in "development."

When MS was just starting to market the XBOX, who did they hire.  ....Peter Moore, the guy who was head of Advertising for the Dreamcast.  This is a learned habit of bait and smear campaigning which Microsoft learned directly from Sega.

And as for Sony keeping a low profile and Kaz keeping his mouth shut, you can thank the complete alteration of management by Howard Stringer, now head CEO of Sony for that.  He basically took over the failing Sony brand, including the Entertainment section of Sony, and whipped it into shape.  Everyone, including good ol' Kaz, reports major decisions directly to him now instead of opening their big mouths at Expos and allocating funds to pet projects.  Sadly, this means no more 'Riiiiiiidge Racerrrrrr!!!!!!'  But it also means better business practices for Sony.

Now if only Microsoft had such a tight and clean management setup going.  But let's see, how do they run things....oh yeah.  They basically tap someone on the head and say 'its your turn to be CEO' for the next few years and keep this akward system of 'roundtable' management.  All the time reporting back to Bill Gates for all major decisions.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

LOL! I remember that Ridge Racer thing. They have a video on Youtube with him saying it for about a minute.

yeah, it wasn't the best to say but sony has had more than they're fair share of complete disrespect for its competition. every company is guilty of it

Dark Chaos said:
Vetteman94 said:
madskillz said:
Vetteman94 said:
madskillz said:
CGI-Quality said:
madskillz said:
kowenicki said:
He can only be saying this if he knows something we dont... otherwise it isnt happening "soon" and he will be wrong

And im laughing at Cross-x and all the others complaining of MS arrogance... Sony arrogance at the outset of this gen and up until relatively mecently was staggering!

Please, keep preaching. Some folks weren't in church yesterday. Muchas gracias.

They've both been heavily arrogant, but that's not to excuse Microsoft for doing so here.

So, it's ok for Sony to say people will go out and get two jobs to buy a PS3 OR they'd sell a 5-6 million consoles without games - and MS says 'They'll be in third, like they always were?'

Ok, he said it. Why are folks so sensitive? I don't see anything wrong with it. What about when Reggie said 'Not my problem?'

Over the PS3's 3 year span, I can't tell you the number of threads I've seen where folks are yappin' about the PS3's big break. I even remember when NJ5 had in his sig - PS3 domination starts in ... and there were several titles and events crossed out.

The PS3 is still in third. Yes, the console will cut into the 360s lead, but reality is - Sony is still losing tons of money. When the financials come out, they'll still won't see a profit. And to think Sony is going to dig itself out of the hole they dug - and keep this steady pace while the 360, which IS making $$$ for MS, just stops selling? Wow. I just grin so much when I see statements like that.

He can make statements like that because his console is making money, even if the sales aren't there, it's still making money while the PS3 is burning through it like zozobra.

Isnt the Xbox division $5.8B in the hole?   And has only turned a profit the last 2 quarters out of a 8+ year span.  

So until they have 2 successful generations while turning a profit in both can they make comments like that.

Uh, yeah, they can. They have the champ from the past two gens on the ropes - weathered the RROD drama - and erased a Sony comeback before with a meager price cut.

How many times will folks keep bringing up the SDF talking point - MS is $6B in the hole? Keep saying it if it makes you feel good and sleep better at night.

They paid $6B to overthrow a champ. And it was worth it for MS, sitting in second place and a sizable lead.

Uh no they cant,  they havent won any generation nor have they even come close to winning.   I dont see how you can call loosing $1B "weathered the RROD drama", since it still happens and now has a new name.   The Sony comeback before didnt mean anything,  console was far from the "sweet spot" as far as the consumer is concerned.    

The money issue will keep coming up when  people like you keep bringing up that Sony is loosing money.   Its a reminder that Microsoft is in a worse off position.

They paid $6B to fight off the reigning champ that hasnt gone down yet.   Still plenty of rounds left for Microsoft too loose this one. 

Hasn't gone down yet? What are you smoking. Going from 70% market share and Billions of profit to 20% marketshare and billions of loses isnt down enough??

There's no use in trying. Some folks will continue to spew SDF talking points until 2012. Then, it won't even matter.

Around the Network

"back down to third place soon like they’ve always been.'

lol that works much better for them seeing how they spent an entire gen in 3rd place. And that's where they will end up this gen. Ms pure genius.

It feels like the spokespeople from sony and MS have switched.

wow the fanboys are really out and running with this topic. You guys are pathetic honestly This comment was a bit arrogant but its PR for crying out loud. Both companies have done it and if your so offended by it then you really need to get a life outside of VGchartz. Everyone on all sides needs to just calm down your getting worked up over nothing.

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

1337 Gamer said:
wow the fanboys are really out and running with this topic. You guys are pathetic honestly This comment was a bit arrogant but its PR for crying out loud. Both companies have done it and if your so offended by it then you really need to get a life outside of VGchartz. Everyone on all sides needs to just calm down your getting worked up over nothing.

The point is, Microsoft keeps doing it, and without any hint of remorse.  Almost as if its a tactic to try to draw in the other side (Sony and Nintendo) into some kind of PR catfight so they can then smear their name and then outdo them in marketing.

Its a tactic many have tried to implement before, including Microsoft many times over the years.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

microsoft and sony needs to respect each other more before saying
stupid things.

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!