By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft: on PS3s recent sales surge "We expect it to be short-term and we expect them to be back down to third place soon like they’ve always been.”

ph4nt said:
Seems Sony and MS PR keep switching places every 6 months.

I dont think its that. I think MSFT has replaced Sony's need for this kind of PR. When Sony was struggling to transition from generation to geenration im sure there was a lot of convincing to be done. Now that MSFT has probably spent a lot of money on Japan timed exclusives, delayed DLC exclusivity and most like FF 13...im sure the fact they didnt really crush the PS3 is frustrating.

Its mostly from a marketshare perspective as im sure MSFT is making money now on the xbox division quarterly and we shall see about Sony. But PR is all about consumer mindshare...and now the roles appear to be reversing so we see a distinct change in tone between the two companies.

Around the Network
madskillz said:
Vetteman94 said:
madskillz said:
CGI-Quality said:
madskillz said:
kowenicki said:
He can only be saying this if he knows something we dont... otherwise it isnt happening "soon" and he will be wrong

And im laughing at Cross-x and all the others complaining of MS arrogance... Sony arrogance at the outset of this gen and up until relatively mecently was staggering!

Please, keep preaching. Some folks weren't in church yesterday. Muchas gracias.

They've both been heavily arrogant, but that's not to excuse Microsoft for doing so here.

So, it's ok for Sony to say people will go out and get two jobs to buy a PS3 OR they'd sell a 5-6 million consoles without games - and MS says 'They'll be in third, like they always were?'

Ok, he said it. Why are folks so sensitive? I don't see anything wrong with it. What about when Reggie said 'Not my problem?'

Over the PS3's 3 year span, I can't tell you the number of threads I've seen where folks are yappin' about the PS3's big break. I even remember when NJ5 had in his sig - PS3 domination starts in ... and there were several titles and events crossed out.

The PS3 is still in third. Yes, the console will cut into the 360s lead, but reality is - Sony is still losing tons of money. When the financials come out, they'll still won't see a profit. And to think Sony is going to dig itself out of the hole they dug - and keep this steady pace while the 360, which IS making $$$ for MS, just stops selling? Wow. I just grin so much when I see statements like that.

He can make statements like that because his console is making money, even if the sales aren't there, it's still making money while the PS3 is burning through it like zozobra.

Isnt the Xbox division $5.8B in the hole?   And has only turned a profit the last 2 quarters out of a 8+ year span.  

So until they have 2 successful generations while turning a profit in both can they make comments like that.

Uh, yeah, they can. They have the champ from the past two gens on the ropes - weathered the RROD drama - and erased a Sony comeback before with a meager price cut.

How many times will folks keep bringing up the SDF talking point - MS is $6B in the hole? Keep saying it if it makes you feel good and sleep better at night.

They paid $6B to overthrow a champ. And it was worth it for MS, sitting in second place and a sizable lead.

Uh no they cant,  they havent won any generation nor have they even come close to winning.   I dont see how you can call loosing $1B "weathered the RROD drama", since it still happens and now has a new name.   The Sony comeback before didnt mean anything,  console was far from the "sweet spot" as far as the consumer is concerned.    

The money issue will keep coming up when  people like you keep bringing up that Sony is loosing money.   Its a reminder that Microsoft is in a worse off position.

They paid $6B to fight off the reigning champ that hasnt gone down yet.   Still plenty of rounds left for Microsoft too loose this one. 

But... PS3 outsold 360 it's first 2 years... Why would microsoft say that?

Vetteman94 said:
madskillz said:
Vetteman94 said:
madskillz said:
CGI-Quality said:
madskillz said:
kowenicki said:
He can only be saying this if he knows something we dont... otherwise it isnt happening "soon" and he will be wrong

And im laughing at Cross-x and all the others complaining of MS arrogance... Sony arrogance at the outset of this gen and up until relatively mecently was staggering!

Please, keep preaching. Some folks weren't in church yesterday. Muchas gracias.

They've both been heavily arrogant, but that's not to excuse Microsoft for doing so here.

So, it's ok for Sony to say people will go out and get two jobs to buy a PS3 OR they'd sell a 5-6 million consoles without games - and MS says 'They'll be in third, like they always were?'

Ok, he said it. Why are folks so sensitive? I don't see anything wrong with it. What about when Reggie said 'Not my problem?'

Over the PS3's 3 year span, I can't tell you the number of threads I've seen where folks are yappin' about the PS3's big break. I even remember when NJ5 had in his sig - PS3 domination starts in ... and there were several titles and events crossed out.

The PS3 is still in third. Yes, the console will cut into the 360s lead, but reality is - Sony is still losing tons of money. When the financials come out, they'll still won't see a profit. And to think Sony is going to dig itself out of the hole they dug - and keep this steady pace while the 360, which IS making $$$ for MS, just stops selling? Wow. I just grin so much when I see statements like that.

He can make statements like that because his console is making money, even if the sales aren't there, it's still making money while the PS3 is burning through it like zozobra.

Isnt the Xbox division $5.8B in the hole?   And has only turned a profit the last 2 quarters out of a 8+ year span.  

So until they have 2 successful generations while turning a profit in both can they make comments like that.

Uh, yeah, they can. They have the champ from the past two gens on the ropes - weathered the RROD drama - and erased a Sony comeback before with a meager price cut.

How many times will folks keep bringing up the SDF talking point - MS is $6B in the hole? Keep saying it if it makes you feel good and sleep better at night.

They paid $6B to overthrow a champ. And it was worth it for MS, sitting in second place and a sizable lead.

Uh no they cant,  they havent won any generation nor have they even come close to winning.   I dont see how you can call loosing $1B "weathered the RROD drama", since it still happens and now has a new name.   The Sony comeback before didnt mean anything,  console was far from the "sweet spot" as far as the consumer is concerned.    

The money issue will keep coming up when  people like you keep bringing up that Sony is loosing money.   Its a reminder that Microsoft is in a worse off position.

They paid $6B to fight off the reigning champ that hasnt gone down yet.   Still plenty of rounds left for Microsoft too loose this one. 

Hasn't gone down yet? What are you smoking. Going from 70% market share and Billions of profit to 20% marketshare and billions of loses isnt down enough??

phinch1 said:
CGI Cracking out the whip of justice

I'm glad we have him around to point out irrationality and hypocracy with some people.

@Steverhcp02.  I would agree.  MS was probably hoping this would be like the N64 and PS1 generation.  Many were expecting that to happend, but it turned out that while MS got many of the previous exclusives, they were and are still being made for PS3 also.  Some multiplat titles are starting to sell on PS3 better now, which makes it more costly for MS to pay the opportunity costs to have timed or DLC exclusives.

Also, Sony's strategy with their 1st/2nd party development is really beginning to pay off.  That's something MS has almost abandoned over the past few years.  Once Sony dropped the price and make the PS3 more like a console than an expensive entertainment device, people started becoming more interested.  Putting all your focus on trying to stamp out a competitor, whether it be GTA DLC, FF13 multi, French Love Boats, Japanese Robot Anime propaganda ads, timed exclusives, etc., is not going to work in the long run. 

Probably Natal will be the best thing since Xbox Live for MS since it's something to differentiate itself from the competition.  Outside of Xbox Live, which was something different that the competition had and why I think MS was able to get on the map in the first place with the original XB, I've seen MS just try to emulate the competition.

Nintendo (during N64 era) and Sony (PS3 launch) have both done their fair share of arrogant statements.  MS will have to learn eventually.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network

Has everyone forgot about Sony telling us to get a 2nd job to buy a PS3? I forgot the guys name so I'll just say that Sony said it. I could care less if Sony said the Xbox was the crapbox and MS says the PS3 is little girls. It doesn't matter and affects nobody so why care? Some companies talk trash about other companies, it's the capitalists way.

voty2000 said:
Has everyone forgot about Sony telling us to get a 2nd job to buy a PS3? I forgot the guys name so I'll just say that Sony said it. I could care less if Sony said the Xbox was the crapbox and MS says the PS3 is little girls. It doesn't matter and affects nobody so why care? Some companies talk trash about other companies, it's the capitalists way.

Ken Kutaragi.  Ex chairman and CEO of SCEI.  Before he was....asked to retire.

http://www.ps3today.com/Blogs/JournalBlogView/hqs/blr_129.aspx

Six upcoming games you should look into:

He is jealous of Sony

joshin69 said:
scat398 said:
The comment didn't seem bad at all, but whats with the mistatment by the blogger saying the 360 and the ps3 sold the same in 2008. If you want to over hype someone's fairly harmless remark, atleast don't look like a fool by throwing out bad numbers to support your claim.

according to the numbers on this site over 2008 the 360 sold around 871,795 more units than the PS3. Just thought you could do with the numbers if you are to berate someone for bad numbers

If you would have gone back a few pages you would have seen I did post the numbers...but since this is Vgchartz it's common knowledge that the 360 outsold the PS3 last year.   

As for berating the blogger for his false statements, it was certainley appropriate as he not only blew something out of preportion but he also backed it up with false information. 

I just wish MS would just STFU. Focus on your own damn games and business, instead of just bashing the competition when you have been outdone at any point in time. Didn't work for Sega now did it. Hell, they're making games on their previous competitors machine.

And we all know Ken's arrogant statements from 3 friggin' years ago, and I'm sure that's one of the reasons he stepped down. His business model just wasn't working. Now we have Kaz Hirai, who seems to enjoy less of a defensive war stance on his company. As of late, it seems Sony and Nintendo know to just promote their own products and keep the insults to a bare minimum when it comes to the competition.

BTW where is that graphic masterpeice that MS was boasting about when Killzone 2 came out? It was supposed to be the king of graphics on any system. Oh wait it did come out, only on PS3, Uncharted 2. God, MS just shut up and put out all these awesome games you have in "development."