By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony should sit the next generation out!

Sony shoud sit the next generation out? That is a very funny thing to say. Unless Nintendo or Microsoft can come up with something better than HD DVD, how is their next console look better than Sony Blue Ray. And the next wii is Titled Wii HD, so in my opinion it will have better graphic than the wii and a more interesting motion control. But if there is nothing out there to match the Blue Ray, sony will never need to release another console.

Around the Network
Cthulhu said:
1337 Gamer said:
Um no. PS3s main selling point is its technology. Come next gen it will no longer have this selling point. Both from a features and graphics perspective it will be passed by relatively easy. Without these aspects PS3s will not be "flying off the shelves".

Umm yes if you are still living in 2007. Now PS3s main selling point are the games. The problem was the price which is not anymore

Not if I talk to many PS3 fanboys. Anyway, I do agree with you on this one, games are the main reason people buy ANY console.

@ ricsu

Sony never needs to release another console again??? XD don't you think at some point in time, the PS3 just might get passed up on ALL aspects...you know, one, perhaps even 2 consoles down the road?

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

halil23 said:
I totally disagree everything you said except for Sony should skip next Generation.
PS3 & xbox had similar graphic comparison at the start, but now the graphic gap are widening in favor of PS3 thanks to Uncharted 2 and it will continue to widen (next up will be GT5)
The Cell the most powerful processor on any console to date, it ahead of it time, there is till room for improvement.
With built in Blu Ray,
sales steadily increasing and taking DVD market share, it just the start and with 25-50 gig of space which is plenty room for many years to come, after 3 years on the market with not 1 game uses multi disc, devs won't be space limited for long time.
And lastly piracy, PS3 been out for 3 years and still not hacked. (I doubt it will be hacked for a long time if not ever!) and PS3 having an acceptable user base and growing, devs will see PS3 as a very viable console to put it as a 1st preference platform in term of business wise. You'll see starting from next year PS3 will be getting a lot more exclusives!!

What I'm trying to say is PS3 is so future proof that it can skip next generation with ease! Really Sony would make truckload more profit in skipping it than making a new console, hell! it a different between making money or bleeding more!

Just as I said Sony's PS3 could hold its own against anything Nintendo or Microsoft release in this next generation. Lets say by some miracle Nintendo and Microsoft can create a powerful enough console (4x or better) to really put the PS3 to shame, it would be far too expensive and really unpractical.

Think of the millions if not Billions Sony could make by sticking with the PS3. Firstly they save all the R&D, then they save all the losses that come with releasing new hardware. No 100$ loss on every platform sold. Wii proved that with some innovation a last generation platform can hold its own against current generation platforms. The Wii was far more inferior to PS3 then PS3 will be to the NextBox or Wii2. With the wand making its debut next spring or fall does Sony really need to release a new console?

I say stick with the new wand maybe bundle it with every console sold (like having a new platform anyways) should be more then enough for the PS3 to take on the Wii2/NextBox!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Joelcool7 said:
halil23 said:
I totally disagree everything you said except for Sony should skip next Generation.
PS3 & xbox had similar graphic comparison at the start, but now the graphic gap are widening in favor of PS3 thanks to Uncharted 2 and it will continue to widen (next up will be GT5)
The Cell the most powerful processor on any console to date, it ahead of it time, there is till room for improvement.
With built in Blu Ray,
sales steadily increasing and taking DVD market share, it just the start and with 25-50 gig of space which is plenty room for many years to come, after 3 years on the market with not 1 game uses multi disc, devs won't be space limited for long time.
And lastly piracy, PS3 been out for 3 years and still not hacked. (I doubt it will be hacked for a long time if not ever!) and PS3 having an acceptable user base and growing, devs will see PS3 as a very viable console to put it as a 1st preference platform in term of business wise. You'll see starting from next year PS3 will be getting a lot more exclusives!!

What I'm trying to say is PS3 is so future proof that it can skip next generation with ease! Really Sony would make truckload more profit in skipping it than making a new console, hell! it a different between making money or bleeding more!

Just as I said Sony's PS3 could hold its own against anything Nintendo or Microsoft release in this next generation. Lets say by some miracle Nintendo and Microsoft can create a powerful enough console (4x or better) to really put the PS3 to shame, it would be far too expensive and really unpractical.

Think of the millions if not Billions Sony could make by sticking with the PS3. Firstly they save all the R&D, then they save all the losses that come with releasing new hardware. No 100$ loss on every platform sold. Wii proved that with some innovation a last generation platform can hold its own against current generation platforms. The Wii was far more inferior to PS3 then PS3 will be to the NextBox or Wii2. With the wand making its debut next spring or fall does Sony really need to release a new console?

I say stick with the new wand maybe bundle it with every console sold (like having a new platform anyways) should be more then enough for the PS3 to take on the Wii2/NextBox!

Kinda like what Sony did this gen?

I actually think they would have to do a slight upgrade on the PS3, put slightly differant hardware in it, and rebadge it as the PS4. Otherwise they run the risk of looking like "old" hardware, and a "tired" console. Plus, they lose a lot of people who already have PS3s and would have upgraded to the new PS line.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

PlaystaionGamer said:
um....NO
wii 2 - 2012
xbox 3 - 2013-14
Playstation 4 - 2014-15 i dont think it will launch before then, plus this is the end of them all launching at the same time really

Why will Nintendo launch first?  Have you seen the sales of the Wii compared to the PS3 and 360?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

That's absurd. Who on earth is going to buy a six year old console when you can get a superior, newer console? Even the most successful system of all time, the PS2, at a $100 price point, trails far behind the current gen consoles in weekly sales.

Certainly, they should stick to the 10 year plan and keep selling the PS3 until 2015, but they can't rely on it as their main console, it will sell peanuts.

PS4 in late 2012, I think.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Avinash_Tyagi said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
um....NO
wii 2 - 2012
xbox 3 - 2013-14
Playstation 4 - 2014-15 i dont think it will launch before then, plus this is the end of them all launching at the same time really

Why will Nintendo launch first?  Have you seen the sales of the Wii compared to the PS3 and 360?

Have you seen the sales dropoff of the Wii compared to the PS3 and 360? It gets a price cut, and it's still down YoY. It's beginning to lose momentum, and while it will still take first place with ease, it's not going to be selling for as long as the PS2 was.

Having said that, I think all consoles will release in 2012-13.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
um....NO
wii 2 - 2012
xbox 3 - 2013-14

Have you seen the sales dropoff of the Wii compared to the PS3 and 360? It gets a price cut, and it's still down YoY. It's beginning to lose momentum, and while it will still take first place with ease, it's not going to be selling for as long as the PS2 was.

It's still selling better than the PS2 was WW, and PS2 had more price cuts than Wii by this point, and even down its still outselling its competitors, there is no doubt that it could sell as long as the PS2 if Nintendo keeps supporting it

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

It's not going to happen.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Kantor said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
um....NO
wii 2 - 2012
xbox 3 - 2013-14

It's still selling better than the PS2 was WW, and PS2 had more price cuts than Wii by this point, and even down its still outselling its competitors, there is no doubt that it could sell as long as the PS2 if Nintendo keeps supporting it

You're ignoring one major statistic when comparing Ps2 vs Wii here... Ps2 = 70% of market at this time in its life.