By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony should sit the next generation out!

letsdance said:
Face it, ignoring any of the competition is idotic and cherry picking. Just because it was the dreamcast doesn't mean it should be excluded. You shouldnt just write competition off because of what or who it is. look where that got Sony this gen.

Xbox did last the gen, they started the next gen with the 360, Sega however is never getting back into the console hardware business. You can call it cherry picking, I call it looking at the facts, a console that is discontinued and whose company leaves the sector, was a failure, , people don't count the jaguar or the Turbographix or the CD-i, when discussing console wars, so why count the dreamcast?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
ironman said:
Cthulhu said:
1337 Gamer said:
Um no. PS3s main selling point is its technology. Come next gen it will no longer have this selling point. Both from a features and graphics perspective it will be passed by relatively easy. Without these aspects PS3s will not be "flying off the shelves".

Umm yes if you are still living in 2007. Now PS3s main selling point are the games. The problem was the price which is not anymore

Not if I talk to many PS3 fanboys. Anyway, I do agree with you on this one, games are the main reason people buy ANY console.

@ ricsu

Sony never needs to release another console again??? XD don't you think at some point in time, the PS3 just might get passed up on ALL aspects...you know, one, perhaps even 2 consoles down the road?

Right now HD DVD ican't compete with the Blue Ray. If the others want to challenge PS3 grafically then they need to come with something better than Blue Ray. And Sony actuall competion is the XBox360, forget about the Wii cause there is no competion for the Wii out there. People love it, people will buy it and it's $100 cheaper than both Xbox360 and PS3. And i didn't say sony never needs to release another console again.  I said: "IF there is nothing out there to match the Blue Ray, sony will never need to release another console". It has a "IF" in the beginning. But i will say it another way so that there is no more confusion. Until there is not something to match the Blue Ray out there, sony doesn't need another console.

You should sit the next generation out.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
letsdance said:
Face it, ignoring any of the competition is idotic and cherry picking. Just because it was the dreamcast doesn't mean it should be excluded. You shouldnt just write competition off because of what or who it is. look where that got Sony this gen.

Xbox did last the gen, they started the next gen with the 360, Sega however is never getting back into the console hardware business. You can call it cherry picking, I call it looking at the facts, a console that is discontinued and whose company leaves the sector, was a failure, , people don't count the jaguar or the Turbographix or the CD-i, when discussing console wars, so why count the dreamcast?

what a pathetic example. When was Philips ever a major role in the video game market like sega? When has half a million in 7 years been comparable to 10 million in 3?

You really are trying too hard.

So what would you have Sony do? Let sega have a monopoly in the generation for another year? Allowing people to get anxious in playing video games and getting a dreamcast? Allowing word of mouth to spread to friends? Allowing sega more steam? Allowing 3rd parties to focus on the dreamcast since there is no other viable option? Allowing it to pick up more steam? GTA3 dreamcast exclusive? And you are saying they shouldnt count even though they could have picked up major momentum if sony didnt launch the ps2

People who start threads like this come across as bitter and twisted fanboys. If the ps3 does really catch fire it's going to be hilarious watching different forums in the coming months.

Around the Network

OP at times u r comparing it with Wii and at other times u r comparing it with X360.. seems like from a very confused person..

and from where u heard PS4 is launching in 2010.. Sony have big exclusive games for 2011 (like FFXIII versus KZ3 etc) already in motion n you r saying that they will launch PS4 in 2010.. :S cant find more baseless argument..

rather think from another angle they will be launching GT5 their biggest franchise, GOWIII another big franchise.. than some exciting franchises like MAG, Heavy Rain, Yakuza 4 and all these games r going to come in 2010 and then they will tell the customers that we r launching a new PS4 on which none of these games is going to work.. very very intelligent. :P

They havent even announced a Ps4 yet... expect that at E3 and launching winter of the following year. 2011 at the earliest. If they dont announce it 2010 2012 at the earliest

woah

It's like....I am back to 2007

"Kinect" Games I am really excited about (Click for videos)

Kinectimals        Dance Central      Kinect-Sports   Kinect-Adventures    Your Shape       Kinect-Forza

Owner of :   slim 1000 +  80GB DSlite

letsdance said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
letsdance said:

what a pathetic example. When was Philips ever a major role in the video game market like sega? When has half a million in 7 years been comparable to 10 million in 3?

You really are trying too hard.

So what would you have Sony do? Let sega have a monopoly in the generation for another year? Allowing people to get anxious in playing video games and getting a dreamcast? Allowing word of mouth to spread to friends? Allowing sega more steam? Allowing 3rd parties to focus on the dreamcast since there is no other viable option? Allowing it to pick up more steam? GTA3 dreamcast exclusive? And you are saying they shouldnt count even though they could have picked up major momentum if sony didnt launch the ps2

Now you're cherry picking, Sega might have been a force at one time, so was Atari, but by the last gen, Sega was no longer a facotr, and were losing a lot of money, so why count them, just for nostalgia? Sorry but you are the one trying too hard. No they were still losing money, they were in trouble since the 32X, momentum means nothing if you can't get your bank book in order

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Time Warp!