By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony should sit the next generation out!

letsdance said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Kantor said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
um....NO
wii 2 - 2012
xbox 3 - 2013-14
Playstation 4 - 2014-15 i dont think it will launch before then, plus this is the end of them all launching at the same time really

Why will Nintendo launch first?  Have you seen the sales of the Wii compared to the PS3 and 360?

Have you seen the sales dropoff of the Wii compared to the PS3 and 360? It gets a price cut, and it's still down YoY. It's beginning to lose momentum, and while it will still take first place with ease, it's not going to be selling for as long as the PS2 was.

Having said that, I think all consoles will release in 2012-13.

It's still selling better than the PS2 was WW, and PS2 had more price cuts than Wii by this point, and even down its still outselling its competitors, there is no doubt that it could sell as long as the PS2 if Nintendo keeps supporting it

You're ignoring one major statistic when comparing Ps2 vs Wii here... Ps2 = 70% of market at this time in its life.

You're ignoring two facts, PS2 launched a year ahead of the competition, a year to build up a major lead, Wii launched after, also this gen is far from over, so we have no Idea where Wii will end up in marketshare

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

it actually launched a year after too.

Retail availability JP November 27, 1998
NA September 9, 1999
EU October 14, 1999
AUS October 14, 1999
PAL December 3, 1999
Retail availability JP March 4, 2000
NA October 26, 2000
EU November 24, 2000
AUS November 30, 2000

actually longer than a year after...

You're actually going to try and use the Dreamcast? The swan song of Sega Hardware, which they discontinued? Sony's real competitors, the GCN and Xbox didn't launch until well after the PS2.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Yeah, let's just conveniently ignore a competitor. Especially one thats played a major role in the market since the mid 80's just because you want to. Yeah... makes sense. I got an idea. Lets ignore the Wii... I mean... the 64 and gamecube were awful compared to the playstation brand... so I mean... the wii doesnt count... right?

You're actually going to try and use the Dreamcast? The swan song of Sega Hardware, which they discontinued? Sony's real competitors, the GCN and Xbox didn't launch until well after the PS2.

Around the Network
letsdance said:
Yeah, let's just conveniently ignore a competitor. Especially one thats played a major role in the market since the mid 80's just because you want to. Yeah... makes sense. I got an idea. Lets ignore the Wii... I mean... the 64 and gamecube were awful compared to the playstation brand... so I mean... the wii doesnt count... right?

I'm not counting it, because it didn't last a gen, because it was discontinued before the GCN and Xbox were even launched, GCN and N64 were not, and the Wii isn't, big difference

...okay. Then lets not count the xbox either. That didn't last a gen. So Ps2 got 90% of the market... right?

Face it, ignoring any of the competition is idotic and cherry picking. Just because it was the dreamcast doesn't mean it should be excluded. You shouldnt just write competition off because of what or who it is. look where that got Sony this gen.

I think out of all the consoles Sony is going to launch first, with Microsoft a few weeks behind. Nintendo will launch a year late.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

peachbuggy said:
No the dreamcast launched first. I am saying that as soon as the next gen starts, the Ps3 will become irrelevant to retailers, as people will be more hyped by the new consoles so there will be only enough space for them and the current market leaders. Maybe you need me to spell it out to you in simpler terms. SONY CAN SUPPORT THEIR CONSOLE FOR AS LONG AS IT LIKES BUT IF THAT CONSOLE IS NOT BEING STOCKED AT RETAIL IT WON'T COUNT FOR JACK! I will rephrase the question. How many times in the past has a console that is not market leader stayed out in the marketplace longer than the market leader?

Just because a console is not a market leader it won't be cut off from retailers as long as it keeps selling.

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=XB&reg1=All&cons2=GC&reg2=All&cons3=PS3&reg3=All&weeks=400

Also it is pretty obvious that both 360 and ps3 will sell more than the best selling second place console before this gen. That would be N64 with 32 million sales.

Just a reminder.