By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony should sit the next generation out!

I actually agree that Sony should simply "sit out" the next gen. As far as the technology is concerned the PS3 is pretty far ahead.

When high end gaming rigs with multiple GPU's are still struggling to run Crysis on max I'm wondering what kind of a console would be able to make games like Uncharted 2 and KZ2 look "last gen".

My guess would be: a very, very expensive one.

Around the Network

Edit: nevermind

I'll do a signature later

ctalkeb said:
Gilgamesh said:
ctalkeb said:
Gilgamesh said:

Back when the PS2 was released developers had the same problem with the PS3, it was really difficult to make games on (even harder then the PS3) now look at all the vaporware on it (...)

I generally agree with you, but I suggest you learn what the word "vaporware" means.

Sorry got that mixed up, I meant Shovelware

No prob.  Sometimes I just don't know on VGC what is an honest mistake and what is just... lack of knowledge.

Bleh, let's just all agree that OP is a bad idea with bad arguments.

I can agree with that *shakes your hand* ^_^

Steroid said:
I actually agree that Sony should simply "sit out" the next gen. As far as the technology is concerned the PS3 is pretty far ahead.

When high end gaming rigs with multiple GPU's are still struggling to run Crysis on max I'm wondering what kind of a console would be able to make games like Uncharted 2 and KZ2 look "last gen".

My guess would be: a very, very expensive one.

Exactly! Nintendo will likely give us a console about 2x the power at a 300$ price point and Microsoft may go as far as 3x but nowhere near the jump in past generations. It would be suicide to produce a new console that is far more powerful then 3x and honestly which studio's even have the capacity to max out the PS3 right now?

I know only a few titles have managed to supposedly max out the PS3. Mainly Metal Gear Solid but are the other studios really ready to produce software 4x or higher then the PS3? Were already a few years into this gen and studios still can't push the PS3 to its furthest. I think it would be in Sony's best interest to keep the PS3 and not release a PS4 untill 2016.

People still laughing about Nintendo releasing its next platform in 2011. Someone said why not ride the money train (Wii) till it dies? thats simple, why do TV shows go off the air at their peek (Seinfeld/Friends). Because once the series flops its almost impossible to rebuild credibility. If Nintendo waits for the Wii to die a nice natural death , then nobody will want to pick up their next console.

Why did Sony launch the PS2 when the PlayStation was still selling strong? Sure you may say because the DreamCast came out. But PSOne was holding its own against DreamCast and N64. It was because Sony wanted to capitalize on their success and ride the fad waves with another platform. Also more proof, Sony has always been very successful fighting off superior fire power. The PlayStation worked over the N64, the PS2 worked over the GameCube/X-Box. But the second they try to be the power they crash against a far inferior platform (Wii).

Now I'm going to use some more evidence. The PS2 generation ended ages ago, yet the platform is still shipping tens of thousands of units a month. PS2 games continue to sell fairly well even up against far superior competition. If the PS2 can survive against the PS3/360 then the PS3 could most definatly survive against the Next-Box/Wii2.

That evidence also takes out the (Retailers won't stock the PS3 when their are new shiny platforms from Sony and Nintendo). If Sony decided to keep the PS3 as their primary platform it would gain immediate success. Think about this recession for example, people can't afford to go out and blow another 600$ on the NextBox and maybe not even able to blow 300$ on Wii2. But if the PS3 dropped to about 199.99$ it could dominate the market.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

The PS3 came out six years into the PS2's lifecycle and many people say it was rushed out. So with a new push and tech being so hard to make there is good reason to believe the PS4 will be out 2012 or later. Xbox is treating Natal like a console launch supposedly and will need atleast 2 holiday seasons to make it work (of course it probably won't and they might cut loses agin and restart early). So another long gen.

Go Team Venture! I still don't get the Wii, PS Move,  and Kinect.

Around the Network

For me, and most of my gaming buddys, owning and playing the PS3 has been a blast this generation. I'm not going to make a long dumb fanboy list of games that I love, but my PS3 has been so fun I didn't need to buy the 360 which I had been meaning to do.

I expect the PS4 to come out around 2012/2013 and I can't wait. ROLL ON THE NEXT GENERATION!
I hope they keep making expensive cutting edge hardware forever. If they turn casual and mainstream I'll have to move to the xbox.

I dunno about sit out the next gen. This implies Sony should not produce another console until ~2017 when Ninty and Microsoft are gearing up to launch their next next gen console(it does nicely coincide with their 10YP I'll admit). I don't see Sony doing this. I think Sony's 10YP will morph into the next console being based around the PS3 architecture, but with beefed up specs (Teh C3ll II) for even greater performance. I don't honestly see PS3 being Sony's lead console for a whole 10 years. It will just fall so far behind the technology.

Sony could release PS4 somewhat out of synch with the other 2 companies, but pricing would become a drawback. However if it was a sufficiently superior tech, and long enough into the other companies' next generation you could get people adopting the new console even if the launch price is $100 - $150 above the MS / Ninty price. PS3 will be well below the next gen console prices and will do a PS2 until PS4 gets some momentum. But PS4 needs to be sufficiently advanced that what Ninty and MS come out with 3 or so years later won't totally kick PS4's arse in the performance dept.

All this really points to PS4 coming out within the general release ark of the competitions' consoles. The massive multiplat market pretty much dictates that consoles of comparable technical capability need to be on the market at the same time, so Sony can't really get out of synch. PS3 isn't good enough to be in the same technical league as MS's and Ninty's next offering.

In the final analysis our consumer electronics culture means that people want the latest and greatest. Anything that has an old time vibe to it falls away. I don't think there will be another PS2 phenomenon again any time soon.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Basically every one of the 17 games I own for my PS3 is a PS3 exlusive. PS3 has SO many good exclusive games!!! I don't think you've opened up enough to Sony's game library man! Have you tried any of these games?
1. Metal Gear Solid 4
2. Uncharted 2 (and Uncharted 1 for that matter...)
3. inFAMOUS
4. LittleBigPlanet
5. Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (and "A Crack in Time" releasing in a few days) - may look like a kid's game, but I had a lot of fun playing it. I'm 23 years old btw..
6. Killzone 2 (unparalleled fps graphics and excellent multiplayer)
7. Resistance 1 and 2 - Resistance 2 has best online I've ever played (their co-op mode)
8. MLB '08, '09, etc. "The Show"
9. Motorstorm 1 is a real intense offroad racing game, limited gameplay options though.

Seriously man, I think no matter who you are you gotta give Sony's exclusive games library some respect. Oh, and their upcoming exclusive games? Insane.
1. M.A.G. (as you mentioned)
2. God of War III
3. Gran Turismo 5
4. Heavy Rain (looks like will redefine gaming in several ways: gameplay, emotion, graphics)
5. Agent (PS3 exclusive from makers of grand theft auto series)
6. The Last Guardian (newest game from Fumito Ueda of Ico games)
7. Twisted Metal PS3
8. Quantum (Gears of War-like 3rd person shooter)
9. White Knight Chronicles (RPG)

There are more, but I just mentioned the biggest games. Check these games out if you haven't heard of them.

XD, I don't know what is worse, the OP, or some of the people posting here...hmmm, something to ponder.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

1337 Gamer said:
Um no. PS3s main selling point is its technology. Come next gen it will no longer have this selling point. Both from a features and graphics perspective it will be passed by relatively easy. Without these aspects PS3s will not be "flying off the shelves".

Umm yes if you are still living in 2007. Now PS3s main selling point are the games. The problem was the price which is not anymore