By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony should sit the next generation out!

Neoraf said:
letsdance said:
Lol neoraf... nice try at steal sarcastic trolling. There is no way Dreamcast is comparable to the Ps3 like you tried doing.

Wait... are you trying to downgrade the Dreamcast?

The Dreamcast is one HELL of a console:

• The best launch line-up ever for a console.
  • The first console with built-in modem.
  • The first online multiplayer ever on console.
  • Powerful GPU, awesome graphics in 1999.
  • The game library is one of the best in the heart of real gamers.
  • The Dreamcast died way too soon, but will never be forgotten.
  • The hardware was ROBUST, no drive issues, no malfunction.

Be compared to the Dreamcast, it's an honor, it's a gift.

The ones that I stroke out are irrelevant.

The game library on PS3 is satisfying the fans quite nicely.
The Dreamcast died quickly, the PS3 did not and clearly will not. You can't compare it to the PS3. 

Oh.. and there were Dreamcast that malfunctioned... a friend of mine had 2 that broke on him within 3 years.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
Neoraf said:

Lodder, you're right, it's not a disaster.

But PS3 started the Playstation brand decline.
Playstation 2 destroyed the competition, Sony had a 130 million userbase. Sony was the market leader. A giant.

Now, 4 years into this generation (3 years for the PS3), Sony is in 3rd and last place, and many PS2 users went for the 360.

The PS3 is not crushing the competition, and will likely finish 3rd at the end of this gen.

BUT it's not a disaster, because the PS3 has good games and people who bought it are happy.
Just like the Dreamcast in the old days.

Neo I usually agree with most of what you say but have to take the other angle on this one. First off you said "...many PS2 users went for the 360". This is simply false flat out. I am tired of this line being used and it is by a lot of people. There are over 140 million PS2 owners out there, many would impy at least 60-70 percent which is around 84 million to 98 million and X360 is nowhere near that. Also, Xbox sold around 25 million so that would say according to the "many PS2 owners went for the X360" that the 25 million Xbox owners didn't move over to X360 because if they all did that would leave around 7.5 million PS2 owners taken which compared to 140million+ many is a word I would find very tough to use.

There are a ton of PS2 users still left in the world IMO (and I am not the only one that thinks this) that haven't switched and are starting to. I think the Wii took more PS2 owners from PS3 than X360 did and even there I don't think Nintendo stole that many as they created a whole new market share.

The PS3 is not crushing the competition I agree with but the gap is closing currently which is a positive for Sony. Nobody knows who will take 1st, 2nd or 3rd in this gen but I think 2nd and 3rd will be neck and neck personally. I do think MS will have taken a decent chunk of Sony's market but I don't think it will be huge.

As to the OP your logic is well lined out but has way way too many flaws. The library comment is a worn out and tired line. PS3 has plenty of games. This thread IMO has fail written all over it with a few truths tossed in.

Dgc,
You... Are... So... Wrong...

Looks like you never owned a Dreamcast...
Too blinded by the PS brand maybe? I don't know...

But please don't talk like this about something you don't know.

My Gaming Setup

chris1_16 said:
Wait, did you seriously make up the development cost?

No, I based my part about Dev costs on an EACanada interview with The Province newspaper. The biggest newspaper in my province and a really respected newspaper nation wide! Of course that price is in CDN dollars and not American but considering our dollar is almost par I'd say that the price should be fairly relevant.

Me linking software prices to dev costs is simple. Software here in Canada goes for about 69.99$ or at cheapest 59.99$ which yes you can argue that most X-Box titles when they launch are about 59.99$. However I'll give an example LittleBigPlanet a game launched a year ago remains 59.99$ and in many places 69.99$. While on the PS2 a title would drop in price to about 29.99$ within a year or two, theirs no way it would stay at 59.99$ This is obviously due to higher dev costs and lack of software sales!

I will now defend the part about classics. I have spent over 250$ on Nintendo Virtual Console games and yes I have spent 25$ on PS3 classics and nothing on my 360 so far. I know many others who have purchased excess of 100$ of Virtual Console games. So if tons of Wii owners each buy about 100$ in classics that is pure profit for Nintendo. Little to no overhead.

Please also understand I'm not bashing Sony. I'm saying the PS3 could dominate the market if Sony chooses not to launch a PS4 next generation. Yes some may argue that Microsoft's next gen console and Nintendo's might then steal the spotlight, but other then early adopters Sony will still be fairly competetive.

Also for the people saying Microsoft won't launch its next console next fall. When the 360 launched Microsoft announced it would likely maintain a four year life cycle. Well it will have been five years next year (Which is the default lifecycle set by Nintendo and Sony). Not to mention the Wii is starting to faulter and Nintendo will likely launch its next platform in 2011 as per usual (Five year life cycle)!

So lets say Microsoft doesn't launch its next platform in 2010, Nintendo will still launch theirs in 2011. If it doesn't make sense for Sony to skip out and rely on PS3 then we can expect PS4 in 2011!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Neoraf said:
Dgc,
You... Are... So... Wrong...

Looks like you never owned a Dreamcast...
Too blinded by the PS brand maybe? I don't know...

But please don't talk like this about something you don't know.

Rather than just say I'm wrong and call me blind, explain how I'm wrong...

Are you saying the PS3's gonna die out like the dreamcast did? [already too late for that...] 
Are you saying the PS3's library isn't satisfying the fans for the most part? [All I can think of is a bit of a lack in the RPG department] 

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

If I recall correctly, "sitting the next generation out" was part of Sony's 10-year plan: the PS3 was supposed to be so ZOMGAWSUM that it would last for two generations instead of one.

Somehow I doubt this will be the case, however. I do think Sony will be the last of the three to release a new console, but it will not be "sitting the next generation out" by any stretch of the imagination.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Joelcool... Trust me... 4 million dollars is not the development cost of a high calibur wii game. That'd be more like a ps2 game or PSP game. and 8 million isn't the dev cost of a high calibur 360 game. We know GeoW was 10 million with the graphics engine cost written off. We know GTA4 was 100 million. And I forget where I've heard this but Halo 3 was 30 million with the ad campaign matching its dev cost. Supposidly the GTA DLC which is exclusive to 360 cost about 25 million each... that just dlc which is smalller then full retail games and you cant blame the ps3 for it at all since its 360 exclusive

OK

Game Prices: I agree with you on this one that there are a lot of old titles that should be dropped down. But old good title usually become Greatest hits and sells for $25, so that's pretty good, you just have to wait a little longer.

Development cost: The development cost for the PS3 and X360 are the same, why would it double for the PS3? For multiplats the X360 and PS3 come out with same game graphically. The average HD game is 15 million.

Porting difficulties: That is a thing of the past, I'm sure every developer is use to the PS3 now (except for Valve which they still complain about the PS3 even though they never even attempted at making a game on the PS3). Back when the PS2 was released developers had the same problem with the PS3, it was really difficult to make games on (even harder then the PS3) now look at all the shovelware on it, it just takes time to know how to work the hardware. The PS3 has been out for 3 years now.

Hardware cost: I have nothing to say about this. I mean the PS3 was at a high price now it's not, obviously the PS3 was going to be affordable at some point.

Classics online: If you lived in Japan you wouldn't be complaining about the lack of PS Classics, last time I checked (about 7 months ago) they had well over 200 PS1 games on there PSN. SCEA said that there going to focus on getting a lot more PS classics on the PSN for America, for a long time we only had about 25 PS Classics on the PSN, in the last few months that went up to about 60+. So in time there will be plenty.

Online network: Sinse the PSN in free the PSN is pratically just as good as Xbox Live. The one thing everyone says that's better on the Xbox live is the fact that they have in game voice chat. And Naughty Dog said that the next PS Firmware will have in game voice chat for the PS3 so?

Blu-Ray: Yeh that was a problem in the past, the PS3 was advertise more to be a Blu-Ray player then a gaming machine. But that was all in the past, Sony is focusing more on Gaming now.

Motion Controller: I doubt much will happen with the PS "Sphere", the people that buy a PS3 don't want to use motion controllers, if they did they'd buy a Wii.

Sony is doing nothing different with the PS3 then what they did with the PS1 and PS2, both consoles lasted about 10 years. What Sony is talking about is that there going to keep supporting the PS3 for atleast 10 years. It's not like there going to only come out with a new conosle in 2016, that wouldn't work out to well. Since we can't predict what nex gen console are going to be like Sony can't risk to hold on to the PS3 and only the PS3 till 2016. There will be a PS4 and it's already in the works. It'll be released when Nintendo and Microsoft comes out with there next machine. Probably 2012 - 2013.

Dgc1808 said:
Neoraf said:
letsdance said:
Lol neoraf... nice try at steal sarcastic trolling. There is no way Dreamcast is comparable to the Ps3 like you tried doing.

Wait... are you trying to downgrade the Dreamcast?

The Dreamcast is one HELL of a console:

• The best launch line-up ever for a console.
  • The first console with built-in modem.
  • The first online multiplayer ever on console.
  • Powerful GPU, awesome graphics in 1999.
  • The game library is one of the best in the heart of real gamers.
  • The Dreamcast died way too soon, but will never be forgotten.
  • The hardware was ROBUST, no drive issues, no malfunction.

Be compared to the Dreamcast, it's an honor, it's a gift.

The ones that I stroke out are irrelevant.

The game library on PS3 is satisfying the fans quite nicely.
The Dreamcast died quickly, the PS3 did not and clearly will not. You can't compare it to the PS3. 

Oh.. and there were Dreamcast that malfunctioned... a friend of mine had 2 that broke on him within 3 years.

How are the ones that you stroked out irrelevent , yea maybe "best launch line up......" is subjective but the rest were facts.......since when were facts irrelevent?

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, THE PS3 HAS NO LIABRY OF EXCULSEVES, IT LITERALLY HAS MORE THAN THE XBOX 360 ?????????????????, WOW AND YOU SAD THAT YOUR NOT BAIS, AND WTF THE GAMES COAST EXACTLY THE SAME, YOU FOOOL, HMMMMM, AND HAVE YOU SEEN PS3 SALES LATELY, PS3 IS CATCHING UP TO 360, LET ALONE THIS MONTH PS3 HAS SOLD 1 MILLION MORE CONSOLES THAN THE 360