By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony should sit the next generation out!

While some of your reasoning is sound, other parts are just wrong. However i think you might be on to something about skipping or at least severely delaying the release of there next console for maybe 3 years or more into the life cycle of the next nintendo and microsoft entry. As you have stated, a new console to release in 2011 or 2012, 2013 will not produce games that look SIGNIFICANTLY better than PS3, especially not to the average joe.

Just look at what happened when xbox 360 first launched. People where saying it looked like xbox, when that is clearly not the case. The major reason for this was due to people not playing there console on a Full HD TV. Games will need to be 1080p next gen with good AA to really have a chance of looking better. And there are still far too few people with large 1080p TV's.

Around the Network

:)
Sexc... your forgot to breathe!

My Gaming Setup

Gilgamesh said:

OK

Game Prices: I agree with you on this one that there are a lot of old titles that should be dropped down. But old good title usually become Greatest hits and sells for $25, so that's pretty good, you just have to wait a little longer.

Development cost: The development cost for the PS3 and X360 are the same, why would it double for the PS3? For multiplats the X360 and PS3 come out with same game graphically. The average HD game is 15 million.

Porting difficulties: That is a thing of the past, I'm sure every developer is use to the PS3 now (except for Valve which they still complain about the PS3 even though they never even attempted at making a game on the PS3). Back when the PS2 was released developers had the same problem with the PS3, it was really difficult to make games on (even harder then the PS3) now look at all the vaporware on it, it just takes time to know how to work the hardware. The PS3 has been out for 3 years now.

Hardware cost: I have nothing to say about this. I mean the PS3 was at a high price now it's not, obviously the PS3 was going to be affordable at some point.

Classics online: If you lived in Japan you wouldn't be complaining about the lack of PS Classics, last time I checked (about 7 months ago) they had well over 200 PS1 games on there PSN. SCEA said that there going to focus on getting a lot more PS classics on the PSN for America, for a long time we only had about 25 PS Classics on the PSN, in the last few months that went up to about 60+. So in time there will be plenty.

Online network: Sinse the PSN in free the PSN is pratically just as good as Xbox Live. The one thing everyone says that's better on the Xbox live is the fact that they have in game voice chat. And Naughty Dog said that the next PS Firmware will have in game voice chat for the PS3 so?

Blu-Ray: Yeh that was a problem in the past, the PS3 was advertise more to be a Blu-Ray player then a gaming machine. But that was all in the past, Sony is focusing more on Gaming now.

Motion Controller: I doubt much will happen with the PS "Sphere", the people that buy a PS3 don't want to use motion controllers, if they did they'd buy a Wii.

Sony is doing nothing different with the PS3 then what they did with the PS1 and PS2, both consoles lasted about 10 years. What Sony is talking about is that there going to keep supporting the PS3 for atleast 10 years. It's not like there going to only come out with a new conosle in 2016, that wouldn't work out to well. Since we can't predict what nex gen console are going to be like Sony can't risk to hold on to the PS3 and only the PS3 till 2016. There will be a PS4 and it's already in the works. It'll be released when Nintendo and Microsoft comes out with there next machine. Probably 2012 - 2013.

Alright you seem to get my point!

It is 2009 almost 2010 and Sony is only now catching up with the competition and seeing success. Infact last month and likely this month the PS3 actually beat the Wii and 360. This is a huge feat.

So if Sony is only now becoming successful (Seeing hardware and software sales rise) and is only now getting caught up with Voice Chat and other online features (PSOne classics). Only now getting a motion controller and only now seeing BluRay success. Would it make sense for them to start all over with PS4 in 2011?

Nintendo will launch their next platform in 2011. I can pretty much gaurantee it. It will have been five years since Wii launched and sales of the Wii are beginning to wane. Nintendo's poor graphics and lower priced competition is going to drive their market share down. We also know from interviews with Miyamoto that the next console will be HD.

Why will Microsoft launch their new platform next fall or at latest in 2011. Same as Nintendo. Microsoft's hardware sales are beginning to faulter. Sure Microsoft is still second place but Sony is beginning to catch up. Microsoft has publically said they have a four year life cycle and now it will have been five years (2010). With Natal getting ready Microsoft is likely going to launch a new platform next fall.

Sony, unlike the competition is not seeing hardware sales wane. Instead they are seeing increases in hardware and software sales. Their hardware is selling better and better. Sony is only now seeing the BluRay success they had hoped for and this holiday will see a major market share boost. It makes no sense for them to start back at square one in 2011! Unless for some reason their sales begin to faulter again next year!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

jesus kung fu magic said:
Dgc1808 said:
Neoraf said:
letsdance said:
Lol neoraf... nice try at steal sarcastic trolling. There is no way Dreamcast is comparable to the Ps3 like you tried doing.

Wait... are you trying to downgrade the Dreamcast?

The Dreamcast is one HELL of a console:

• The best launch line-up ever for a console.
  • The first console with built-in modem.
  • The first online multiplayer ever on console.
  • Powerful GPU, awesome graphics in 1999.
  • The game library is one of the best in the heart of real gamers.
  • The Dreamcast died way too soon, but will never be forgotten.
  • The hardware was ROBUST, no drive issues, no malfunction.

Be compared to the Dreamcast, it's an honor, it's a gift.

The ones that I stroke out are irrelevant.

The game library on PS3 is satisfying the fans quite nicely.
The Dreamcast died quickly, the PS3 did not and clearly will not. You can't compare it to the PS3. 

Oh.. and there were Dreamcast that malfunctioned... a friend of mine had 2 that broke on him within 3 years.

How are the ones that you stroked out irrelevent , yea maybe "best launch line up......" is subjective but the rest were facts.......since when were facts irrelevent?

"the PS3 has really good games and people who bought it are happy (I'm one of them).
Just like the Dreamcast in the old days."

He's comparing it to the dreamcast...

The Dreamcast had a great launch. At the PS3's launch there was only one game anyone really cared for... Don't see how that's similar.
What does being the first console with a built-in modem have to do with anything? This was about what SONY should do when next gen comes around.
Again, this has nothing to do with anything. All systems now have this, and I don't see any reason why any systems next gen wouldn't have this. 
Didn't know what this had to do with anything.
-
-
-

Overall, I don't see what was his reason to compare the PS3 and Dreamcast. This thread was about what's next, SONY's not doing with the PS3 what SEGA did with the Dreamcast. 

4 ≈ One

The next gen is exactly when all of Sony's long term plans make all of the doubters look stupid. People assumed all of the R and D costs to develop the PS3 and the Cell were just for the PS3. Wrong! I fully expect the PS4 to chain multiple Cell processors together for a very powerful, but cheap to manufacture console. Sony (like most Japanese companies) have long term plans/goals that most Westerners just can't comprehend.

Keep this in mind when reading what I type...

I've been gaming longer than many of you have been alive.

Around the Network

Ok so when only one game killzone 2 has a high budget, that means that same for all other exclusives, no, making new IP's means making new engines this equaling higher costs. Sony already has its IP's established and will now start making the money. I dont even know why u put blu-ray there, also next gen consoles will not only have downloadable games, b/c internet speed's are not high enough and each game would be like 50gb. Game prices are only for system exclusives, but either then that its probably just ur store. Its not 2006 anymore bro.

lol what a joke as a post i love my ps3 and my xbox i would not imagine next generation gaming without uncharted,god of war and other ips sony always releases!

the funny thing is they are narrowing the gap now and they will probably be 3rd place but not by much anymore.... the ps3 is now becoming a success for sony after the price cut ... people tend to forget ps3 was out a year after xbox thats another reason why its behind in sales also.

trust me SONY is ANGRY PS3 isn't dominating

they are planning their revenge nex gen

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

^^also Sony has learned their lesson this gen, next gen they are going all out, all im saying is dont be surprised when you see PS4 selling 200m units.

Joelcool7 said:
chris1_16 said:
Wait, did you seriously make up the development cost?

No, I based my part about Dev costs on an EACanada interview with The Province newspaper. The biggest newspaper in my province and a really respected newspaper nation wide! Of course that price is in CDN dollars and not American but considering our dollar is almost par I'd say that the price should be fairly relevant.

Me linking software prices to dev costs is simple. Software here in Canada goes for about 69.99$ or at cheapest 59.99$ which yes you can argue that most X-Box titles when they launch are about 59.99$. However I'll give an example LittleBigPlanet a game launched a year ago remains 59.99$ and in many places 69.99$. While on the PS2 a title would drop in price to about 29.99$ within a year or two, theirs no way it would stay at 59.99$ This is obviously due to higher dev costs and lack of software sales!

I will now defend the part about classics. I have spent over 250$ on Nintendo Virtual Console games and yes I have spent 25$ on PS3 classics and nothing on my 360 so far. I know many others who have purchased excess of 100$ of Virtual Console games. So if tons of Wii owners each buy about 100$ in classics that is pure profit for Nintendo. Little to no overhead.

Please also understand I'm not bashing Sony. I'm saying the PS3 could dominate the market if Sony chooses not to launch a PS4 next generation. Yes some may argue that Microsoft's next gen console and Nintendo's might then steal the spotlight, but other then early adopters Sony will still be fairly competetive.

Also for the people saying Microsoft won't launch its next console next fall. When the 360 launched Microsoft announced it would likely maintain a four year life cycle. Well it will have been five years next year (Which is the default lifecycle set by Nintendo and Sony). Not to mention the Wii is starting to faulter and Nintendo will likely launch its next platform in 2011 as per usual (Five year life cycle)!

So lets say Microsoft doesn't launch its next platform in 2010, Nintendo will still launch theirs in 2011. If it doesn't make sense for Sony to skip out and rely on PS3 then we can expect PS4 in 2011!

Just wrong. Software prices are 69.99 not because of Dev cost but because of the currency exchange. When the Canadian dollar was equal or greater than the US dollar games were 59.99, then our dollar dropped to be about 30 cents less than the american dollar so prices went up. Stop making bullshit up. BTW The Province Paper can't be respected Nation wide as I'm studying  Journalism and not once have any of my profs discussed that paper. So stop with the bullshit and stop with the trolling

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi