By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft reiterates that 360 will outsell PS3 for the entire generation

Well we know Sony is being forced to sell the PS3 for less than they'd like. The 360 could also get cheaper. So I agree with MS on this.

Around the Network
inverted3reality said:
Well, the PS3 outsold the 360 by about 1.2million lastyear, and i ssupect it will outsell it by about a million this year. why are they so confident?

So much fail.

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 06th Jan 2008 to 27th Dec 2008:

Console PS3 X360
Total

And if you were talking about the last year from now on - october till october:

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 12th Oct 2008 to 10th Oct 2009:

Console PS3 X360
Total

Actually there hasn't been one single year the PS3 outsold the X360 since both were released. This one might be the very first.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

It's amazing how short term a fanboys memories are... the mere fact that Sony could sell that many consoles just goes to show how bad they fucked up... you should never have this much pent up demand... And some people just don't see the diffrence from what Microsoft did last year (canabilized the PS3 numbers) versus what the PS3 did this year (pent up demand).

Cueil said:
It's amazing how short term a fanboys memories are... the mere fact that Sony could sell that many consoles just goes to show how bad they fucked up... you should never have this much pent up demand... And some people just don't see the diffrence from what Microsoft did last year (canabilized the PS3 numbers) versus what the PS3 did this year (pent up demand).

i have to agree with you, this year should be a growth year over all for the HD consoles both out performing their best years on the market the 360 just so. it will be interesting to see how long yearly growth can be strung out between these consoles. 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Xoj said:
ramses01 said:
Chairman-Mao said:
Lol big talk considering the PS3 has beat 360 by over 900,000 units since the PS3 price cut. I could see PS3 beating 360 by 100k per week from November until Christmas

You must not be paying attention.  The 360 will outsell the PS3 by probably at least 200K for the rest of year, most likely closer to 500K.

wait what? who is making that miracle? that will not happen unless they give them away from free.

Yeah I was about to say the same thing. Did Microsoft just announce Halo 4? Or did they cut the price to $150? I must have missed something big because last I checked the PS3 wasn't slowing down any.

Around the Network

I just don't see how they will manage it. Final Fantasy XIII releasing on Japan exclusively for PS3 in December will ensure that 5 million PS3s will be sold in Japan by the time GT5 launches in Japan in March which will push another 500,000 PS3s sold there by the time Versus releases and another million PS3s are sold in Japan further pushing the PS3 margin there.

A difference of 8 million in favor of the PS3 in Japan by gen's end (10 million PS3s sold to 2 million 360s sold there is larger than the 360's current worldwide lead of 7.3 million). And the PSP has sold over 12 million in Japan. There's no reason to think PS3 won't do as well.

Basically, Sony can keep PS3 selling well enough in Japan until Nintendo releases a console so powerful that Sony has to replace the PS3.

Meanwhile in the West a lot of 360 exclusives are also PC games and they need to keep their console powerful enough in comparison to gaming PCs that Western gamers will feel that they are getting a console just as viable for those types of games for a Western console to be successful.

Chairman-Mao said:
Xoj said:
ramses01 said:
Chairman-Mao said:
Lol big talk considering the PS3 has beat 360 by over 900,000 units since the PS3 price cut. I could see PS3 beating 360 by 100k per week from November until Christmas

You must not be paying attention.  The 360 will outsell the PS3 by probably at least 200K for the rest of year, most likely closer to 500K.

wait what? who is making that miracle? that will not happen unless they give them away from free.

Yeah I was about to say the same thing. Did Microsoft just announce Halo 4? Or did they cut the price to $150? I must have missed something big because last I checked the PS3 wasn't slowing down any.

It is in the US. Check the numbers, 360 outsold the PS3 in the US once again. Sure Others and Japan are the PS3's for now, but these US is untouchable by Sony.

txrattlesnake said:
I just don't see how they will manage it. Final Fantasy XIII releasing on Japan exclusively for PS3 in December will ensure that 5 million PS3s will be sold in Japan by the time GT5 launches in Japan in March which will push another 500,000 PS3s sold there by the time Versus releases and another million PS3s are sold in Japan further pushing the PS3 margin there.

A difference of 8 million in favor of the PS3 in Japan by gen's end (10 million PS3s sold to 2 million 360s sold there is larger than the 360's current worldwide lead of 7.3 million). And the PSP has sold over 12 million in Japan. There's no reason to think PS3 won't do as well.

Basically, Sony can keep PS3 selling well enough in Japan until Nintendo releases a console so powerful that Sony has to replace the PS3.

Meanwhile in the West a lot of 360 exclusives are also PC games and they need to keep their console powerful enough in comparison to gaming PCs that Western gamers will feel that they are getting a console just as viable for those types of games for a Western console to be successful.

First of all, no Final Fantasy game to date has sold 5 million copies that quick. I'm not sure what it is fanboys are smoking to make them believe that FF13 is going to be the second coming of christ, but it's not  the case. Maybe if ONE of the systems exclusives sold more than MGS4 then I would be more inclined to believe you. Uncharted 2 might be the best game this year, and I'm even skeptical that it can push more than a million out the door opening week.

Second of all, I have never seen this much skepticism over a company holding a 7.5 million lead..ever.

If the PS3 outsold the Xbox 360 by 90,000 every week, it would take them about a year and a half of persistant sales like this to topple it. This ignores

1. The increasingly loud rumor that the Arcade is going to be priced at 150/160.

2. NATAL

3. Halo: Reach

4. New GoW,other franchise that could be pushed heavily.

6. Common sense

The 360 is still outselling the PS3 in America, regardless of the price cut. In Japan, where handhelds dominate, the PS3 is finally starting to actually tread above water. Europe tends to swing either way at this point, but it's going to be neck and neck for quite some time.

PS3 has Japan
360 has America
Europe is a battleground

That is how it is and will be for the rest of the generation.

dorbin2009 said:
txrattlesnake said:

First of all, no Final Fantasy game to date has sold 5 million copies that quick. I'm not sure what it is fanboys are smoking to make them believe that FF13 is going to be the second coming of christ, but it's not  the case. Maybe if ONE of the systems exclusives sold more than MGS4 then I would be more inclined to believe you. Uncharted 2 might be the best game this year, and I'm even skeptical that it can push more than a million out the door opening week.

Second of all, I have never seen this much skepticism over a company holding a 7.5 million lead..ever.

If the PS3 outsold the Xbox 360 by 90,000 every week, it would take them about a year and a half of persistant sales like this to topple it. This ignores

1. The increasingly loud rumor that the Arcade is going to be priced at 150/160.

2. NATAL

3. Halo: Reach

4. New GoW,other franchise that could be pushed heavily.

6. Common sense

The 360 is still outselling the PS3 in America, regardless of the price cut. In Japan, where handhelds dominate, the PS3 is finally starting to actually tread above water. Europe tends to swing either way at this point, but it's going to be neck and neck for quite some time.

1.  I didn't say Final Fantasy XIII would sell 5 million copies.  I said that as a result of FF XIII (and there will be other Japanese exclusives that come to the PS3 because of FFXIII), there will have been over 5 million PS3's sold ltd in Japan when GT5 is released in March.

2.  Sphere (I guess that's what its called) comes out in Japan first.

3.  Final Fantasy Versus XIII exclusive to PS3 following its release there will be 7 million PS3s ltd sold in Japan.  To 2 million 360s if they get really lucky with Natal. 

4.  Sony has new Western franchises and a slew of Japanese only exclusives that will be made for PS3 as the gap between PS3 and 360 continues to grow in Japan.

5.  Common Sense?  Common sense tells me its better to buy something for $299 (the price will probably be lowered again when the 250 gig model comes out) with everything in the box than to have to buy something for $299 with quite a bit of everything left out of the box.

MS's biggest hope for the rest of this year is getting the Arcade down to $150.