By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft reiterates that 360 will outsell PS3 for the entire generation

PlaystaionGamer said:
Sony are breaking even on the 120GB slim, and making profit with software and on the PSP, PSPGO & Playstation 2 + all there software
and the introduction of the 250GB Slim which they make money on

Microsoft talking out there ass again i see lol

No they aren't

Slim hardware is losing money

http://kotaku.com/5344701/sony-losing-money-on-ps3-slim

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
Sony are breaking even on the 120GB slim, and making profit with software and on the PSP, PSPGO & Playstation 2 + all there software

No they aren't

I think that will be offset by the 250 gig model.  Can you imagine how well PS3 would be selling if they bring the 120 down to $250 when the 250 gig comes out?

txrattlesnake said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
PlaystaionGamer said:

No they aren't

I think that will be offset by the 250 gig model.  Can you imagine how well PS3 would be selling if they bring the 120 down to $250 when the 250 gig comes out?

Another PS3 price cut, lol

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

@dorbin209

I can't see Halo Reach moving console sales. It will bump the sales, no doubt but it wont sell squillions of 360's. Yes, Reach is not the same as ODST, however you get the feeling Halo is so exclusive that it has already attracted it's fan base. Why would someone be holding off buying a 360 for Halo Reach when Halo 3 and ODST came before it?

Now, people holding off getting a PS3 for GoW3, GT5, and FF13 does make sense because all these established franchises will kind of be doing their first run on the PS3 console (if you don't count GT5p). That's a bit of a difference.

I agree with this sentiment. Especially in the US the PS3 will never ever get within 6 million of the 360, imo. And as far as world wide, I think the 360 will still have more sales than the PS3 overall at the end of the generation. If the PS3 Slim can sell for $299, obviously the Elite could be sold for a lot cheaper and MS knows this.  I mean, the Elite doesn't have built in WiFi (not too expensive) or Bluetooth support, or a Blu-Ray drive, and the Cell is more expensive than the 360's CPU.   The whole $50 rebate program was just a small test to see how a $250 Elite would sell. The way I see it, the Elite could easily drop down to $249 at any moment, and the arcade to $179/149, and by next year the Elite could easily be $199.

Then we have big wild cards like Natal and "Sphere" which we cannot guess what the impact of either will be, but based solely on developer interest and enthusiasm as well as press coverage and enthusiasm, Natal seems like an early favorite.

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
txrattlesnake said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
PlaystaionGamer said:

No they aren't

Another PS3 price cut, lol

I don't think it would be that funny for the other consoles.  It would put PS3 back within $50.00 of Wii, the price difference that existed before Nintendo saw how successful the PS3 was at being at $299 and caused Nintendo to have to lower the Wii's price in response, so they would have to lower the Wii's price by another $50.00 and that would mess up the pricing strategy they have for their handhelds, and the 360 has shown that even with a $199 Arcade and a $299 Elite they can't beat the PS3 worldwide, so if Sony brought the PS3 down to $250 and had even stronger sales, Microsoft would have to lower their prices even more to keep up.

Is it really a win for Microsoft if at the end they have to bring the Arcade down to $100 to guarantee a win?  I don't think that would look too good to their investors.

PS3 is getting more JRPG love SO4 and (likely TLR) and for WRPG's now ME trilogy is seeming likely

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.

keep dreaming microsoft, funny ms talking about loosing money , there the kings of loosing, how much did rrod cost you, 2 billion plus, and the class action lawsuit,  keep dreaming, keep lowering the price, when you do and ps3 is still slapping you , that will make those words feel real real good !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

nightsurge said:

I agree with this sentiment. Especially in the US the PS3 will never ever get within 6 million of the 360, imo. And as far as world wide, I think the 360 will still have more sales than the PS3 overall at the end of the generation. If the PS3 Slim can sell for $299, obviously the Elite could be sold for a lot cheaper and MS knows this.  I mean, the Elite doesn't have built in WiFi (not too expensive) or Bluetooth support, or a Blu-Ray drive, and the Cell is more expensive than the 360's CPU.   The whole $50 rebate program was just a small test to see how a $250 Elite would sell. The way I see it, the Elite could easily drop down to $249 at any moment, and the arcade to $179/149, and by next year the Elite could easily be $199.

Then we have big wild cards like Natal and "Sphere" which we cannot guess what the impact of either will be, but based solely on developer interest and enthusiasm as well as press coverage and enthusiasm, Natal seems like an early favorite.

The PS3 might never get within 6 million of the 360 in America, but the gap in Japan at the end of the gen will be much larger than 6 million in the PS3's favor.  It might come down to Europe, but the Europeans tend to prefer Sony and even at the old prices 360 could only outsell the PS3 in Europe by small margins.  It took two price cuts for them to take back the lead in Europe, so once again you're looking at the Acrade for $100.00 as the only thing that could guarantee a win for Microsoft.  And I've read that they're losing money on their consoles as it is.

lhill8181 said:

keep dreaming microsoft, funny ms talking about loosing money , there the kings of loosing, how much did rrod cost you, 2 billion plus, and the class action lawsuit,  keep dreaming, keep lowering the price, when you do and ps3 is still slapping you , that will make those words feel real real good !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Funny.  Last time I check M$ as a company is making billions and Sony as a company is losing billions.