By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The FASTEST-GROWING game of all time is FARMVILLE (58 Million Players!!)

Erik Aston said:
http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2009/10/10/the-difference-between-customers-and-users/

Sean doesn't really relate that article to any specific games in the industry. Quite invalid, really.

Most of the social games have fantastic monetization structures. Average revenue per user varies from $0.30-$0.50 per user per month. If Farmville is averaging 50 million users a month, that means it makes anywhere from $15 million to $25 million a month. Not too bad given the costs shouldn't be too high, and they offer more than just Farmville.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Erik Aston said:
http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2009/10/10/the-difference-between-customers-and-users/

Sean doesn't really relate that article to any specific games in the industry. Quite invalid, really.

Most of the social games have fantastic monetization structures. Average revenue per user varies from $0.30-$0.50 per user per month. If Farmville is averaging 50 million users a month, that means it makes anywhere from $15 million to $25 million a month. Not too bad given the costs shouldn't be too high, and they offer more than just Farmville.

What are the sources of revenue for Farmville? I ask because I've never played it and I'm curious as to how it is they're amounting between 25-50 million on a free Facebook application.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Just something to think about, mrstickball. I don't really have a big argument to make.

There will be some notable ongoing costs I'm sure, as Facebook can't host and maintain things for free.

And I would guess that revenue per user is lower for a one-click buy-in like a Facebook game, and something you have to navigate to on its own website, like Maple Story. Facebook provides a lower barrier to entry, even if it is not a difference in minimum cost.

I was mostly responding to the OP, where the article claims:

"It also makes the console business model look as outdated as records and CDs as compared to MP3s."

Well, the music business is not really booming on MP3s, but regardless, the console model does not look outdated. It mentions ODST and Wii Fit in the opening line. If Farmville makes $120 million bucks this year (as someone mentioned as a projection for the entire dev company), that's about the same amount ODST made in the first week, and half what it will make over its life (considering price drops). If Farmville brings in $25M a month, that's $300M a year from 58M users, while Wii Fit brings in $300M from every 3.33M customers, a mark it has crossed 6 times over.

Edit: that's not to say they can't or don't monetize the game well, or that it isn't a huge success story, I just thought the opening article got carried away.

I think I've probably blocked the app. Haven't noticed it recently.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

my whole family plays this.

my dad my brother , my aunt her son and his sister.
why does it grow so quick? well you have to become neighboors with someone which means invite them to play the game which is a huge time wasting this is, all you do is wait till you can harvest again, how fun.

Erik Aston said:

jeez, again with this basement dweller..

Around the Network

I am at level 23. growing carrots atm

wow, maybe if i had facebook or twitter i would actually give a damn. well probably not.

The "neighbour" system is quite a popular way to get people playing.

Yeah the game is very popular with my friends.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Yeah a few of my facebook friends play it. The only facebook game I actively play is mafia wars. Bastards keep introducing new cities before I can master the job tiers in the old ones LOL