By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSWii both LESS than 30K in Japan....I'm VERY Worried about consoles!

Japan's console market is dead. They just evidently don't care about consoles in comparison to handhelds. The handheld market is the future in Japan. I seriously doubt FF13 or NSMB will be the beacon of hope for Sony or Ninty. The market just isn't there.

Around the Network

Wasn't there a big storm or something there? I should check news really but I'm sure I saw something like that. I'd imagine if it was really severe it would impact retail sales across the board - including videogames.

On the other hand, no big new games, custom skins coming soon for PS3 for FFXIII, etc. maybe sales are just going to die down until the big stuff starts hitting again.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Home consoles were never as big as handhelds in Japan. Japan has always been handheld oriented, this is nothing new. I swear, some people are so dramatic.

yes ioi said sales would be higher, but ioi was wrong. If you look historically price cuts haven't had much effect, and haven't had any legs. The fact that the wii held strong is quite good. Everyone just got their hopes up because of ioi, but his logic was flawed. This isn't the west, most of the boost for the wii was on the first and second day of the price cut. The PS3 slim is unprecedented in Japanese sales history, no system has got that kind of boost from any price cut, change in look of console, or game.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

This is only big news for the people that were counting the millions until PS3 caught up with the 360. I don't think you can realistically look at one week and pinpoint a trend.

Watch, let me reverse it.

"Everyone who was going to buy a PS3 in Japan due to the price change has already done so, so I guess we're done watching the system catch up to 2nd place"

Disagreements in.. 3...2...1..

Around the Network
johnsobas said:
yes ioi said sales would be higher, but ioi was wrong. If you look historically price cuts haven't had much effect, and haven't had any legs. The fact that the wii held strong is quite good. Everyone just got their hopes up because of ioi, but his logic was flawed. This isn't the west, most of the boost for the wii was on the first and second day of the price cut. The PS3 slim is unprecedented in Japanese sales history, no system has got that kind of boost from any price cut, change in look of console, or game.

Fine next time I will not get my hopes up, but as ioi said it I did....thats all.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
@Samuel IR smith

trust me you don't want the japanese gaming market to die.....it would have effects unforseeable on the industry

To a degree, yes, but it wouldn't be crippling. Remember, Western (read American) developers pretty much were the core of early videogaming before the crash in the early 80s. Today, a remarkable number of western developers run independent of the Japanese side.Western developers have rediscovered their strength in game design.

I doubt Japan gaming would ever die, but it does seem that people are a lot more cautious about their purchases with the recession and all.

Come on, even with the recent pricecut, October is a very very weak month in Japan. Wii is up 40% YoY, and PS3 up 400%.

Smeags said:
Segata Sanshiro is needed.

He will save the day.

Awww Yeah!!!!

On topic:

Don't stress over Japanese sales too much. Their history seems to stray from the trends of western markets.

I always scratch my head when something as simple as rereleasing the same console (usually handhelds) only in a different color would cause the Japanese to lose their freaking minds in a panic to snatch up every last one of them.

I will never understand the Japanese market and gave up trying.

Currently Playing:
Resistance 2 Co-op (anyone call for a Medic?)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PC)
F.E.A.R. (PC)

Currently Ignoring:
My 360 and Wii.

Neither system is an RPG powerhouse.