By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSWii both LESS than 30K in Japan....I'm VERY Worried about consoles!

consoles are for american noobs.

its all about the sex dolls in japan now. it is the F_U_T_U_R_E so jump in-to one.

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

Around the Network

That brings back campy memories. Blacula FTW!

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

All this means is the gaming world has moved and Japan is just not as big a mmarket as it once was and in my opinion should be removed from VG Chartz

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

Bladeforce said:
All this means is the gaming world has moved and Japan is just not as big a mmarket as it once was and in my opinion should be removed from VG Chartz

i agree....although japan and video games have history and influence........i think the time has come for an asian section....europe and the americas.....on vgchartz.......

Above & Beyond

Bladeforce said:

Should be removed? That'd ignore 13.5 million current gen home console purchases. Sort of a big group to disregard, don't you think?

Around the Network

The Wii will have Final Fantasy: The Crystal Bearers and Tales of Graces in 2009 and Dragon Quest X 2010, Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid Other M. That will bost the sales

The PS3 has FF13 that will probably bost the sales too.

ioi said:
johnsobas said:
yes ioi said sales would be higher, but ioi was wrong. If you look historically price cuts haven't had much effect, and haven't had any legs. The fact that the wii held strong is quite good. Everyone just got their hopes up because of ioi, but his logic was flawed. This isn't the west, most of the boost for the wii was on the first and second day of the price cut. The PS3 slim is unprecedented in Japanese sales history, no system has got that kind of boost from any price cut, change in look of console, or game.

Excuse me?

I said Wii should be flat or could actually go up - it stayed pretty much flat. I was spot on. People were suggesting that Wii sales will be down this week like the week after PS3 slim launch and I've gone to a great length the explain the difference between the two - new model = large peak, drops away, price drop = flat sustained lift. We're talking 2-3k here, it was effectively flat. It shouldn't be down much next week either - another 25-30k I'd say, with PS3 20-25k. So the price drop will have absolutely had a sustained and long-term effect, otherwise it would be back down to the 10-15k pre price drop levels. I don't see how my logic was flawed!

As for PS3 slim being sales "unprecidented", did you not see these graphs I posted:

PSP 2000 and PSP 3000 releases saw exactly the same thing as PS3 slim release - it isn't unprecidented in any way whatsoever. Huge peak, drops away quickly. PS3 peak was larger than expected, but the general pattern of sales is exactly as expected.

This is the quietest time of the year, this typhoon will have had some effect (difficult to say how much but DS was down 10k this week as well). I wouldn't be worrying about either PS3 or Wii - 25k is about what PS2 sold at this point every year.

I'd get your facts straight before making posts like this in future. Nothing I've said so far has been incorrect - everything is playing out just as I've said it would.

i have to apologize for one thing, the quote that I was thinking of was from the source and not from you.  You did indeed say it would be up or flat at worst (it was only down slightly).  As far as that goes i'm sorry you were close on that one.

The PS3 is unprecedented because you're comparing consoles to handhelds.  Handhelds being the one that you need to carry around with you at all times, and has already shown many times that new models create massive boosts.  Not only that but these handhelds have things like better screens, and more features while the PS3 is just slightly slimmer.  The boost for PS3 was so big the only thing it is comparable to is christmas in september.  Where is this precendent where a console sales went up that much for any change in a console?  I dunno if you could even find any game, price cut, or any combination that caused that radical of a change for any console ever.  Last year PS3 was selling 8k a week at this point.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

johnsobas said:
ioi said:
johnsobas said:
yes ioi said sales would be higher, but ioi was wrong. If you look historically price cuts haven't had much effect, and haven't had any legs. The fact that the wii held strong is quite good. Everyone just got their hopes up because of ioi, but his logic was flawed. This isn't the west, most of the boost for the wii was on the first and second day of the price cut. The PS3 slim is unprecedented in Japanese sales history, no system has got that kind of boost from any price cut, change in look of console, or game.

Excuse me?

I said Wii should be flat or could actually go up - it stayed pretty much flat. I was spot on. People were suggesting that Wii sales will be down this week like the week after PS3 slim launch and I've gone to a great length the explain the difference between the two - new model = large peak, drops away, price drop = flat sustained lift. We're talking 2-3k here, it was effectively flat. It shouldn't be down much next week either - another 25-30k I'd say, with PS3 20-25k. So the price drop will have absolutely had a sustained and long-term effect, otherwise it would be back down to the 10-15k pre price drop levels. I don't see how my logic was flawed!

As for PS3 slim being sales "unprecidented", did you not see these graphs I posted:

PSP 2000 and PSP 3000 releases saw exactly the same thing as PS3 slim release - it isn't unprecidented in any way whatsoever. Huge peak, drops away quickly. PS3 peak was larger than expected, but the general pattern of sales is exactly as expected.

This is the quietest time of the year, this typhoon will have had some effect (difficult to say how much but DS was down 10k this week as well). I wouldn't be worrying about either PS3 or Wii - 25k is about what PS2 sold at this point every year.

I'd get your facts straight before making posts like this in future. Nothing I've said so far has been incorrect - everything is playing out just as I've said it would.

i have to apologize for one thing, the quote that I was thinking of was from the source and not from you.  You did indeed say it would be up or flat at worst (it was only down slightly).  As far as that goes i'm sorry you were close on that one.

The PS3 is unprecedented because you're comparing consoles to handhelds.  Handhelds being the one that you need to carry around with you at all times, and has already shown many times that new models create massive boosts.  Not only that but these handhelds have things like better screens, and more features while the PS3 is just slightly slimmer.  The boost for PS3 was so big the only thing it is comparable to is christmas in september.  Where is this precendent where a console sales went up that much for any change in a console?  I dunno if you could even find any game, price cut, or any combination that caused that radical of a change for any console ever.  Last year PS3 was selling 8k a week at this point.

PSTwo? Other than Sony, I don't remember any other console has redesigns.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

johnsobas, I believe this is what the PS2 looked like when the slim launched:

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=GC&reg1=Japan&cons2=PS2&reg2=Japan&cons3=XB&reg3=------&start=38256&end=38382

It shot up to 131k, which is pretty close to Christmas level (about 360% increase YoY). I'm quite sure it didn't come with a price cut, either, which would have easily put it above the PS3 slim launch.

I don't think we can make an exception for the PS3 that it's "the only console that has ever done this," just because it was selling like crap last year. The 360 has had many software boosts larger than its Christmas boosts, and if we're talking YoY boosts, there's at least one as big as the PS3's.

For example, the week of 9/16/07 it sold 1.5k, but on week 9/14/08 (IU release) it sold 28k.